Patient Comments: Cystic Fibrosis - Risk

Have you and your spouse/partner been tested for the CF gene? Has or would it affect your decision to conceive?

Comment from: melissa0527, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 15

My child tested positive for her screening. I had to go to children's memorial hospital and they told me my daughter was a carrier for cystic fibrosis and they wanted to see if either me or my husband had the CF gen. It turned out that we both have it but luckily she just had one part of the gene, my husband's and not mine. They told me 1 out of 4 kids that I have will have CF; I want to have more children but I will admit I am scared and I ask myself if I really want to go through that, but mostly can I go through seeing my child living that way. I don't know what to do.

Comment from: chelleleah, Published: June 05

When I became pregnant with my daughter they did the prenatal blood testing and it showed that I was a carrier for Cystic Fibrosis. The doctor said that if my husband was a carrier, that the baby would probably have it and that I may want to consider abortion. It made me cry so hard. I would never have considered abortion. It took a week to get my husband's results that he was not a carrier. It was a very stressful week.

Cystic Fibrosis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with cystic fibrosis.
Cystic Fibrosis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms have caused you or your child the most problems? How did you treat them?
Cystic Fibrosis - Diagnosis Question: What were the tests that resulted in a cystic fibrosis diagnosis for you, a friend, or relative?