Patient Comments: Cyst - Symptoms and Signs

The symptoms of cysts can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?

Comment from: Taylorbell, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 05

I have a cyst on my left shoulder, a bump under the skin. I had it check years ago and was told it was nothing to worry about. But in the past few years it has started to have a smell! Not all the time, but, when I go to a doctor it never has that smell. I can smell it and it is not good. I am worried others can smell it also. It is a sour smell, like clothes that have been left in the washer for days. If you rub your finger across it the smell is on your finger. It also causes my shoulder to hurt at times.

Comment from: julaboola, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I have a number of back/neck problems. My joints throughout my body are swollen on a daily basis. I have chronic pain and I take narcotic medication. Lately I have been finding small cysts under my skin and when I find them it is because I may have a very itchy place so as I am scratching, I then tend to find these cysts. Most of them are right on or close to my bones or muscles. They do get sore (some of them) and some of them are either in a cluster or very close together.

Comment from: Marcos, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 03

My dentist recently removed a tooth that was causing me so much pain for the last three years. I have had several sinus infections and two surgeries to remove them. That tooth caused me dizziness, ringing in my ears, vertigo, breathing problems; the upper gum skin used to peel off (just around the area where the tooth was). Anyway, the dentist found a cyst in the root of the tooth. The cyst was putting pressure in the sinus cavity and that was the reason I was having all the symptoms mentioned above. It was not the wisdom tooth it was the one before that one (#14) as the dentist called it. The only way to see the problem is by having a 3D CAT scan.

Comment from: flowerrlady, 65-74 (Patient) Published: May 13

These cysts or nodules begin appearing about a month ago. They are limited to the labial area. I have no symptoms. I am many years post-menopausal.

Comment from: Jesse, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 14

My cyst is located on my left shoulder. My doctor has looked at it, but it has changed since then. It is leaking a little and has two tiny holes in it. It is sore and itchy.

Comment from: payne, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 04

I had a spot on my right hand palm. At first I thought it was a callus, then it started growing in size and I found it was a cyst.

Comment from: Tofu, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 27

I have a couple of huge cysts in the front of my chest right about the midline and slightly above the nipple level in the middle. They have been there since I was around age 17. I guess I tried popping pimples and it led to this. I was wondering if it is too late to treat it with cortisone cream.

Published: July 29

I have a sebaceous cyst tucked in behind my right ear. I have had it lanced before but now two years later it has recurred. I also have three cysts up to the size of a golf ball on my chest. The one behind my ear is very painful when it flares up and when it bursts there is this whitish brown liquid and some semi-hard white stuff and sometimes really dark blood, that I think is infected.

Cyst - Treatment Question: What treatment was effective for your cyst?
Cysts - Diagnosis Question: How was your cyst diagnosed?
Cysts - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a cyst.
Cysts - Different Types Question: If known, what type of cyst do/did you have?