Patient Comments: Cyst - Symptoms and Signs

The symptoms of cysts can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your initial symptoms?

Comment from: julaboola, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I have a number of back/neck problems. My joints throughout my body are swollen on a daily basis. I have chronic pain and I take narcotic medication. Lately I have been finding small cysts under my skin and when I find them it is because I may have a very itchy place so as I am scratching, I then tend to find these cysts. Most of them are right on or close to my bones or muscles. They do get sore (some of them) and some of them are either in a cluster or very close together.

Comment from: Marcos, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 03

My dentist recently removed a tooth that was causing me so much pain for the last three years. I have had several sinus infections and two surgeries to remove them. That tooth caused me dizziness, ringing in my ears, vertigo, breathing problems; the upper gum skin used to peel off (just around the area where the tooth was). Anyway, the dentist found a cyst in the root of the tooth. The cyst was putting pressure in the sinus cavity and that was the reason I was having all the symptoms mentioned above. It was not the wisdom tooth it was the one before that one (#14) as the dentist called it. The only way to see the problem is by having a 3D CAT scan.

Published: July 29

I have a sebaceous cyst tucked in behind my right ear. I have had it lanced before but now two years later it has recurred. I also have three cysts up to the size of a golf ball on my chest. The one behind my ear is very painful when it flares up and when it bursts there is this whitish brown liquid and some semi-hard white stuff and sometimes really dark blood, that I think is infected.

Published: June 23

So far, I've had nine cysts in the past nine years. Some went away with just packing them. Four had to be surgically removed. Each had to be reopened because they'd flare up, drain again, and not heal. The doctors are clueless as to why I get them and why they don't want to heal. The drainage is a creamy off-white liquid and the blood is sticky and there's no odor. Lab results show nothing unusual. I've been tested for everything in an attempt to find an answer. I constantly wear bandages because of the continual drainage. Right now, both arms are bandaged. They erupt every two to three days. So far, my diagnosis has been sebaceous cysts.

Comment from: joyce, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I am having my 2nd mammogram because it came back abnormal. If it's a cysts, or whatever it may be I am staying positive. But my mind wonders. Since it runs in my family for breast cancer. I already have my right ovary and right tube removed which tossed me into early menopause in my 30s. Something's got to give.

Comment from: bossy chick, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I suffer from ovarian cysts. They are very painful. At times, it feels as if I am having bad cramps. The pain can even feel as bad as contractions. I had one rupture and it was so bad that I had to get my appendix removed. I now have another one on my right ovary.

Comment from: skbishop86, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I have two cysts that have formed on my back, one for each pregnancy. I have been searching for answers as to why they showed up when I got pregnant, and why they haven't gone away. One is on the left side of my lower back (tucked nicely inside my muffin top), and it hurts when my hormones are out of whack, or when I am going to be starting my period. I asked the nurse practitioner about it, and she didn't seem concerned. They are obviously hormonally caused. They are not on my ovaries either. The OB/GYN didn't seem concerned about it either.

Cyst - Treatment Question: What treatment was effective for your cyst?
Cysts - Diagnosis Question: How was your cyst diagnosed?
Cysts - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with cyst.
Cysts - Different Types Question: If known, what type of cyst do/did you have?