- 10 Common Allergy Triggers Slideshow Pictures
- Take the Quiz on Allergies
- Nasal Allergy Relief Products Slideshow
- What is Periactin, and how does it work (mechanism of action)?
- Is it available as a generic drug?
- Do I need a prescription for this drug?
- What are the uses for Periactin?
- What are the adverse events and side effect of Periactin?
- What is the dosage for Periactin, and how should I take it?
- Which drugs or supplements interact with this medication?
- Is this drug safe to use during pregnancy or while breastfeeding?
- What else should I know about this medication?
Do I need a prescription for this drug?
Yes, you need a prescription for Periactin from your doctor or other health care professional.
What are the uses for Periactin?
Cyproheptadine is used for treating various types of allergic reactions and the skin manifestations of allergic reactions.
It's off-label uses (non-FDA approved) include:
Quick GuideBad Bugs: Identify Bug Bites From Mosquitos, Spiders and More
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.