Patient Comments: Cushing's Syndrome - Treatments

What types of treatment have you or a relative received for Cushing's syndrome?

Comment from: Recovering cushie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

The treatment I received for Cushing's disease was removal of the pituitary adenoma. I was experiencing unexplainable weight gain, hypertension, osteoporosis, slow healing, moon face, buffalo hump, horrendous stretch marks and I always felt stressed. I tried every diet imaginable and I'm a physical education teacher who exercises regularly. I was told by numerous doctors to 'try harder', it wasn't until I had tests for fertility issues that increased cortisol was picked up and further investigated by my fertility doctor and endocrinologist. Pretty fast I was tested, starting with an overnight dexamethasone suppression test, then a week long dexamethasone suppression test, 24 hour cortisol and ACTH urine tests, petrosal sinus sampling, MRIs and finally endoscopic sinus surgery. I am now on hydrocortisone and thyroxine until my pituitary gland decides to work for me again. What a year!

Cushing's Syndrome - Symptoms Question: Describe the symptoms you have experienced with Cushing's syndrome.
Cushing's Syndrome - Personal Experience Question: At what age did you start experiencing signs of Cushing's? Please share your personal experience.