Patient Comments: Cushing's Syndrome - Symptoms

Describe the symptoms you have experienced with Cushing's syndrome.

Comment from: Tina, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I have just been diagnosed with Cushing's disease in the last month and am waiting to meet with a neurologist. My symptoms are textbook... diabetes, high blood pressure, weight gain, weakened bones, stretch marks, fatigue, muscle deterioration, mood swings, rosacea, bruising, facial hair, memory loss, etc. The endocrinologist I finally found thinks I probably have had it for 10 years or more; very frustrating.

Comment from: Kate, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I have Cushing's syndrome. I had to have surgery to remove one of my adrenal glands. I had very bad menstrual issues with the discovery that I had an ovarian tumor the size of a grapefruit which destroyed my ovary and my fallopian tube. This was when they found the two tumors in the adrenal glands. I have been treated now for over 6 years. My one remaining adrenal gland seems to be functioning pretty well. However, I have also been diagnosed with hyperthyrodism. I am told that I will eventually lose my other adrenal gland. I have definitely gained weight, I never went over 140lbs earlier but now I weigh 218 lbs. My eyesight is poor and my body is just a mess.

Comment from: Wonz, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 16

For 4 years, my wife had been struggling with high blood pressure, obesity (especially around neck and stomach), anxiety and many other things. Doctors were treating all these symptoms with different types of medication. She was even seeing specialists and they asked her to exercise more to lose the weight (she is actually a Physical Ed teacher and attend the gym 2 times a week). She always thought that there was something more sinister to these problems. It was not until she read an article in a magazine on cortisol levels that made her research Cushings disease and then had the strength to ask her doctors to test for Cushings. 7 days later she had the tumor removed and is now recovering - a very long recovery is ahead of her, but the positive is she will eventually get back to normal. I truly emphasize with all the people who have been affected or are close to someone with this awful disease and I encourage you all to be strong and look forward to the good times ahead. You will beat this disease.

Comment from: texasmom2, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I started having Cushing's at the age of 16. My first symptoms were short term memory loss. I could not remember were my classes were or how to get home. My face started getting the moon face as they call it. I had the buffalo hump on the back of my neck. And I started to gain at least 4 pounds a week. I also started to have seizures anywhere from mild to moderate ones.

Comment from: 35-44 Female Published: May 01

I developed hypertension, 190/110, severe headaches, excessive tiredness, depression, terrible stretchmark's, moon face, buffalo hump, excessive weight gain especially around stomach area, eyesight deteriorated, even hearing.

Cushing's Syndrome - Treatments Question: What types of treatment have you or a relative received for Cushing's syndrome?
Cushing's Syndrome - Personal Experience Question: At what age did you start experiencing signs of Cushing's? Please share your personal experience.