Patient Comments: Cushing's Syndrome - Personal Experience

At what age did you start experiencing signs of Cushing's? Please share your personal experience.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

Within 1 year most of my symptoms began, anxiety, hair growth, moon face and massive stomach, high blood pressure, high energy, waking up at 2 am, loss of hair on my head, stretch mark on stomach, cognitive issues. For almost 4 years I struggled misdiagnosed; until finally my last symptom. Massive bruising all over my body. It was confirmed that my blood cells were hemorrhaging in my skin. First blood specialist called me an enigma, could not figure it out. Then I met my 2nd blood specialist. She just looked at me and said, “My goodness, look at your face you look like a chipmunk. Look at your body, you look like you are pregnant, but your limbs are thin. You have Cushing's.” I asked what that was. She said I have a tumor either on my brain or on my adrenal gland. She was dead on, just from looking at me.

Comment from: Cue, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I started experiencing the symptoms of Cushing Syndrome at around 49 years of age. All of a sudden I gained a lot of weight from my waist up, especially around my neck area, my voice stays hoarse and I feel like something is stuck in it! I have the panic attacks associated with Cushing. I do not have any energy, have episodes of high blood pressure and do not sleep well anymore.

Comment from: mtnglory, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

Last April I had 1/2 of my thyroid removed due to a large thyroid sub sternal mass, after 14 months of being told I had acid reflux, due to my cough and difficulty swallowing. My dog was just diagnosed with Cushing's and I began research on it. I have discovered that the nasal spray fluticasone or Flonase (glucocorticoid) that I have used nightly for 15 years can actually cause increased cortisol levels and adrenal tumors! I have been very tired, often depressed but weight is ok. Where do I go from here? No more nasal spray!

Cushing's Syndrome - Symptoms Question: Describe the symptoms you have experienced with Cushing's syndrome.
Cushing's Syndrome - Treatments Question: What types of treatment have you or a relative received for Cushing's syndrome?