Patient Comments: Croup - Symptoms

Are you caring for someone with croup? What symptoms did he/she experience?

Comment from: mom of_Tand_H, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 27

My 5 year old went to bed fine at 7:45 pm and at 11:15 pm she has severe trouble breathing. She sounded odd and strange, struggling to get the next breath. It was scary, she had a 101.8 fever. Her face was nearly purple. I held her up for a few hours. Put a warm wash cloth on her and gave her Vicks vapor rub. She coughed and coughed more and more struggle to breath. At 4:00 am I was ready to take her to the ER. About that time she finally fell asleep on me. At 8:30 am she woke up and began the whole thing again. We went directly to our Peds. Dr. and he knew by what he called the barking seal sound that she had croup. He gave us steroids and to monitor her. It was very, very scary.

Comment from: 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 02

My daughter is 3 and she, gets croup at least 3 times a year, and she never has any symptoms, she is fine all day long no cough, no runny nose, no nothing, put her to bed and between 1 and 2 she wakes up and can't breathe, this happens every time, I take her out if it is cold out so she can breathe in the cool air, but the last two nights it has been in the 40's so I give her some coke (pop), and it opens up her air ways, I will always keep a 2 liter on hand just in case.

Comment from: Steph, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I nearly died from the croup when I was 9 months old, in 1957. My mom said I was choking and she picked me up and patted me on the back until I coughed up the mucous plug. The doctor smeared vicks on me and pinned diapers around me. Though it is rare for older children and adults to get it, it can and does happen. Even as an adult, I still get it some years. I also have COPD and asthma. I'm not sure if that's a cause of having the croup when I was a baby, but have often wondered. The doctors don't seem to be able to answer that one.

Comment from: michelle732, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 17

My daughter is just back from the hospital after getting steroids. She went to bed no symptoms at all but woke up at 12 am and could hardly breath. I rushed her to the hospital not knowing what it was. They thought they would have to keep her in but thankfully the steroids worked. Now I have a 4 year old and a 2 1/2 year old (the one with croup) who's also autistic.

Comment from: motherof3, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 28

My son is 17 months old. He has been coughing for four days and having fevers off and on. He then started to cough over and over, and began making "wheezing sounds" -- like the Darth Vader breathing. He started to breathe heavier and faster. I took him to urgent care because he wasn't breathing normally, and he just seemed like he was having trouble breathing, which was very frightening. The doctor right away said that it is croup. The doctor gave him a breathing treatment and a shot of corticosteroid in his leg for the inflammation around his vocal cords and trachea.

Comment from: lorriel, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 18

My daughter is 7 years old and has had a barky cough for the past few days, with it becoming worse at night. She has no fever. I'm curious if it can still be considered croup since there is no fever present.

Comment from: Poetgal35, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 25

My daughter has already had croup twice, I am glad to know that our kids doctor is there to help out but I am also frustrated that she hasn't shaken it yet.

Comment from: Catrina, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 10

I have two children. An 8 year old girl who has had the barky cough but never any of the other scary symptoms. My son who is now 4 has had two episodes in the last two months with croup. The first time I rushed him to the hospital because he came in my room not being able to talk, breathe, and was coughing that barky cough constantly. I had no warning he went to bed fine both times and woke up freaking out around 2 to 3 a.m. He refused to lie down and calm down I thought he had just had a night terror. The emergency department gave him a breathing treatment and that helped him a lot. They let me know that next time I could do the warm steamy shower breathing thing and this is what I did last night. It was still really scary for him and me but it did work. I do not wish this on anyone but if it does happen to your child stay calm because if you freak out they freak out and it makes it worse.

Croup - Treatments Question: Have you cared for someone with croup? What treatment has been effective?
Croup - How it's Spread Question: Where do you think your baby or child caught the virus that caused croup? Were other family members sick?
Croup - Experience Question: Please share your family's experience with croup. How old was your child?
Croup - Signs and Concerns Question: Describe your child's croup signs or symptoms. What were your concerns?