Patient Comments: Croup - Symptoms

Are you caring for someone with croup? What symptoms did he/she experience?

Comment from: scarlettsmommy, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 31

My daughter is 22 months and woke up sounding raspy. I just figured she had a chest cold and gave her ibuprofen for her fever. That night she woke up with a fever of 103.6 she was beat red and her chest was sucking in with every breath. I tried to give her more ibuprofen but the coughing caused her to vomit. We took her to the hospital she received breathing treatments and steroids and a suppository Tylenol. I will never wait to take her to the doctor again when she has breathing difficulty better safe than sorry. I could barely hear her on the monitor I easily could have slept through it I am so happy I checked on her.

Comment from: Patrice, 0-2 (Caregiver) Published: May 03

Both of my children have experienced croup at one time or another and it is terrifying. Between my two kids, we have dealt with croup three times now. All three times, the only "warning" was a few days with a runny nose. Then, out of the blue one night, they will wake up with a barking cough and stridor (wheezing and difficulty breathing). I have been amazed at the effectiveness of treating them with cool air! We didn't know about this with the first illness and ended up in the hospital for breathing treatments. The subsequent two times though, when my daughter was ill, we just bundled her up and took her outside for a few minutes or held her in front of an open freezer. The relief was almost instant!

Comment from: tired...., 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 28

I am taking care of two children under 2 years of age. One has croup and their mother took him to an urgent care facility that told her it was bronchitis, and gave her antibiotics! Today the child was taken to a children's hospital that gave him oral and injected steroids. We put eucalyptus on the bottoms of the feet and boiled tea tree oil on the stove to keep the air clean. We also use tea tree and eucalyptus in the tub with the shower steam, and then take him outside to breathe cool air. The vaporizer with eucalyptus and humidifier are running 24/7. We offer apple sauce, baby food, vegetables, soft cooked eggs, and cold water 24/7.

Comment from: Young Mom, 0-2 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

My daughter is 19 months old and she has croup. This is the first time I ever experienced this. When she talks there's a subtle raspy sound, but when she coughs it's a deep dry bark. I thought I could just give her an all-natural cough suppressant. When she would sleep or nap she would wake up struggling to breathe. I just want to help anyone who experiences this. Don't undermine the severity, go to your doctor. My daughter is on steroids now and also has a nebulizer treatment good luck!

Croup - Treatments Question: Have you cared for someone with croup? What treatment has been effective?
Croup - How it's Spread Question: Where do you think your baby or child caught the virus that caused croup? Were other family members sick?
Croup - Experience Question: Please share your family's experience with croup. How old was your child?
Croup - Signs and Concerns Question: Describe your child's croup signs or symptoms. What were your concerns?