Patient Comments: Croup - Treatments

Have you cared for someone with croup? What treatment has been effective?

Comment from: mammy, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 25

My son has had this since he was 1. Steamy bathroom air and a calming chest massage showing the child how to breathe slowly, help. It's important to calm the child in this situation because any panic will be felt immediately by the child and worsens the disposition. Keep a calm head, it will pass. I only had to give him cortisone once during a severe case otherwise once I hear the cough emerging I'll do a foot bath before the fever breaks as he is usually cold, massage his chest and back with a suitable aetheric oil cream to open the pathways. Following this I will give him a diclofenac preparation to relieve swelling. It is usually gone within 2 to 3 days.

Comment from: Akstat, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 08

My son is 5 and he's has had croup and stridor since he is 15 months old. It is very scary for me. He gets it 2 to 3 times a year between October and February. He starts out symptomless except for slight runny nose. He doesn't seem sick, but at night he will awake suddenly with acute croup and high pitch stridor sound on inspiration. We have a routine we have car keys ready, shoes and coats by the door because he get it so bad we need to get to the ER for racemic epinephrine. This drug can only be given at the hospital so we do not wait for ambulance as time is essential to get help. We also use cool mist and steam vaporizers during winter. The croup barking cough is one thing but if your child has stridor, high pitched inspiration get to the ER and stay calm and tell your child he or she will be just fine and that you need to take him for medicine. Drive with the windows down the whole way to the ER. The cold air shocks the lungs and opens the airways temporarily.

Comment from: Sarah, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 24

My four year young daughter has croup at the moment. I had to race her to the hospital five nights ago as she woke and couldn"t breathe. The pediatrician at the hospital diagnosed an ear infection. Yes, an ear infection, with secondary symptoms of runny nose and sore throat due to the ear infection. I argued for a second opinion, stating I believed it was croup and finally got my second opinion. I was right – it was croup. It was diagnosed by the senior pediatric doctor within two minutes due to my daughter's cough. The ear infection was the secondary infection. My daughter is on the mend now, but I have had it for two days, and my father came down with the sore throat today. It"s very contagious, so please don"t send your child to preschool, school, etc., when they"re sick.

Comment from: Houston Mother, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 17

My daughter was diagnosed with croup at the age of 11 months. It was really frightening for us. We put her to bed with mild cold symptoms, and she woke up crying in the middle of the night with the horrible wheeze that is described. We visited the doctor that day, so I called the on-call doctor to tell them about her new status. Our doctor advised us to call if wheezing occurred. The on-call doctor immediately diagnosed her with croup as soon as he heard her wheezing. She was given a steroid treatment at the doctor, and we were given a prescription to continue the treatment for the next five days. Luckily, she stopped wheezing on the third day of treatment. She was extremely fussy for the entire illness and the medicine gave her insomnia for the last two days of the treatments. She wasn't sleeping much before that since it was hard for her to breathe. Praise the Lord, she finally slept again and turned back into my wonderful little baby girl.

Comment from: crelov, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 17

What has worked for my children as well as grandchildren is to steam the bathroom up and sit with them for 5 to 10 minutes, as well as a vaporizer (Vicks).

Comment from: 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 02

I am a private, home-based child care provider. I am very concerned when parents bring their children to the program with that "barking" cough and calmly state, "It's OK – it's just croup." I did some research, and found croup is very contagious. In most cases, when a child has an infectious disease, they are required to stay at home until the illness has passed and they are no longer contagious. A doctor's note is required for readmission. Teachers, staff, and other participants in the program have to be protected. So why are parents up in arms when told they need to care for their child at home until the child is released by their doctor?

Croup - Symptoms Question: Are you caring for someone with croup? What symptoms did he/she experience?
Croup - How it's Spread Question: Where do you think your baby or child caught the virus that caused croup? Were other family members sick?
Croup - Experience Question: Please share your family's experience with croup. How old was your child?
Croup - Signs and Concerns Question: Describe your child's croup signs or symptoms. What were your concerns?