Patient Comments: Croup - Treatments

Have you cared for someone with croup? What treatment has been effective?

Comment from: Caring Mommy, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 29

What works best for my toddler when she has croup (& she has it about twice a year) is giving her 1 tsp of Children's Advil & also Albuterol through a Nebulizer, both two times per day. The second doses are given close to bed time because nights are the worst. I also push fluids as much as possible and shy away from milk, especially warm milk. We watch her very closely, especially at night. She sleeps with us when she is sick.

Comment from: Spiritlifter, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 31

This is my first time encountering this infection. I am a foster parent to an 11 month old and she got it really quick. I noticed she had a runny nose and figured she was getting a cold. Then all of a sudden last night she started this barking and her ribs seemed to be kind of showing. Had I known I would have taken her outside, but instead thinking it was because of her stuffy nose I rubbed her down with some Vicks (I thought I was doing something old school for something simple like bronchitis). But when I noticed the barking was getting worse and she was crying more I took her to the ER. She was still her usual self, (playful, and getting in to stuff) but she was just getting irritable quicker. I wasn't too worried but I just had never heard her bark like that before. They gave her a steroid shot and I gave her juice to keep her hydrated. She is still active but I did notice that when it came to time to sleep she would get more irritable and whining than usual. So I had to do some reading on this and now I know why. I placed some warm herbal tea with apple juice for sweetener in her bottle (chamomile) and rubbed her down again with the Vicks, so far she is sleeping soundly.

Comment from: jgranillo, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 07

Our little girl started out with the slightest cold and fever but she was also teething so didn't think anything of it. The next day it had got worse. Wheezing but has asthma. Took her to the doctor's and said nothing was wrong. That night she got worse .She could barely breathe, fever at 103 and couldn't get it down and she lost her voice. Started to turn blue. We rushed her to the ER and that's when they said she had croup. She was in the hospital for 2 days. It took them a day and a half to get it under control. It was very scary. We went home and each day it got better. But as soon as you see your child having a hard time breathing you need to take them in.

Comment from: Car88rie, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 10

My daughter just turned 3 and she has breathing problems. She had RSV when she was born and she sees a doctor for it until this day. She has a fever of 100.1. I have to give her breathing treatments and have a ventilator when sleeping.

Comment from: hcramer3, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 19

My son is 4 months old. We took him to the ER and they said he has Croup. They instructed us to use a cool mist humidifier also wrote us 2 prescriptions one for a steroid the other for an antibiotic. They also said to give him breathing treatments every 4 hours. They told us to rotate Tylenol and Motrin every 4 hours as needed for the fever and suction him out fairly often.

Comment from: Croup patroller, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 02

It's not even fall yet and my 18 month old came down with croup last night. Her pediatrician gave her a steroid shot and not even ten minutes and she was no longer lethargic nor was barky sounding as she did the night before. Now my issue (which I'd rather deal with this than that) is that she's restless and is not sleeping well. I guess steroids will affect some more than others.

Croup - Symptoms Question: Are you caring for someone with croup? What symptoms did he/she experience?
Croup - How It's Spread Question: Where do you think your baby or child caught the virus that caused croup? Were other family members sick?
Croup - Experience Question: Please share your family's experience with croup. How old was your child?
Croup - Signs and Concerns Question: Describe your child's croup signs or symptoms. What were your concerns?