Patient Comments: Croup - Experience

Please share your family's experience with croup. How old was your child?

Comment from: jude, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

When I was a child I suffered from croup so badly I had the room next to my parents, so I could bang on the wall when I had an attack during the night and they could hear me. I suffered from when I was at an early age and it stopped when I was about 6 or 7. My grandmother used to treat me with a remedy that always worked. It consisted of a mixture of 1 part methylated spirits, 2 parts vinegar, and 3 parts water. She would soak a bandage in this mixture, wring it out, then would proceed to wrap it around my throat, pin it with a safety pin, and then wrap a dry bandage over the top and pin it. As we lived in the country and I am talking about the 50s this remedy I am sure saved my life many times during my child hood before there were ambulances down the road. She always did it at night before bed time.

Comment from: Mary, Female (Caregiver) Published: September 23

My son is ten years old, and he was diagnosed with croup today. He has a fever of about 101 degrees, runny nose and a cough that sounds like a velociraptor (his words). The doctor prescribed a 3-day course of prednisone because of stridor, plus Tylenol for the fever.

Comment from: niomi, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 02

My daughter is 15 month and got croup for the first time. I knew it was croup as my son who is 3 now, has had it 4 times already. Day 1, she had the barking cough from having a cold for 4 days and within 24 hours she had the stridor in the chest and neck. After 2 ambulance trips and 3 hospitals, we ended up at the children's hospital ICU. Her stridor was so bad they were talking about the breathing tube. They did an amazing job on relaxing her. She also had 7 adrenaline doses by nebulizer.

Comment from: Anna, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 02

My son was 10 months old in 1997 when he was diagnosed with croup. At night he had hard time breathing and then I drove him to the emergency room. He looked lifeless when we got to the emergency room, he stopped breathing on the way. He was immediately intubated for three days and I was told by the emergency room doctors if we had got there minutes later, he would not have made it. Today he is 17 years old, a gifted, talented handsome young man and no brain damage whatsoever.

Comment from: Paidi, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 11

My grandson was diagnosed with croup yesterday, he is 11 years old, very fit and active. The doctor put him on a 3 day course of steroid tablets and a nasal spray.

Comment from: sheenareay62, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 23

I am the grandmother of a 3 year old girl. My granddaughter was diagnosed with croup at the age of 1 year old. Since my daughter and son-in-law and their other daughter moved from Ireland to the UK my granddaughter had more of the croup attacks, the recent one was on Sunday gone. She was taken to the hospital on a code red as she was gasping for air and vomiting. Once at the hospital she was there for three hours before she was seen by a doctor only to be sent home after having an injection of steroids. Her breathing was so bad her chest was basically near to her spine.

Croup - Treatments Question: Have you cared for someone with croup? What treatment has been effective?
Croup - Symptoms Question: Are you caring for someone with croup? What symptoms did he/she experience?
Croup - How It's Spread Question: Where do you think your baby or child caught the virus that caused croup? Were other family members sick?
Croup - Signs and Concerns Question: Describe your child's croup signs or symptoms. What were your concerns?