Patient Comments: Crohn's Disease - Diet

What diet changes did you have to make, or continue to make to control the symptoms of your Crohn's disease?

Comment from: Mics, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

I had big plantar warts for 2 or 3 years a few years back. The underarm and foot deodorant powder I used, Milcu (potash alum, hydrated magnesium silicate) helped remove the wart. I wasn't sure if it was the reason at first but when my sister, who got infected with warts used it too, her warts disappeared as well. It hasn't returned for both of us since. It took a few months to disappear.

Comment from: Hot Wheels, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 21

My low potassium was just temporary, but I am subject to having hypokalemia again. I had taken an extremely long, hundred plus mile bike ride in very hot Texas summer weather, about 108 degrees that day. I did take plenty of water and a bottle of sport drink, but it wasn't enough to keep my electrolytes up. I was sweating like mad, so I drank water to keep hydrated. However, I was losing minerals (including potassium) through my sweat, and water alone wasn't enough to replenish all of my losses. The sport drink was also pretty weak in electrolytes, under those conditions. When I got home, I drank more water and showered to cool down, then I felt okay. However, I then went to a friend's house for dinner. I should have had a snack at home first. Well, we were all sitting around chatting at the table when I began to feel weird. It was hot in that house, as they don't have central AC. I felt myself drifting off, feeling extremely weak and tired, and I got up to go lie down in the spare room and I dropped like a rock and hit the floor. What was odd was that I could still hear what was going on, I could hear my friends calling my name and trying to revive me but I just could not move or answer them. Slowly I woke up, still on the floor. Then they got me to the cool room, stripped my shorts and tunic off, and packed my legs and arms in wet towels and brought some low-salt V8, and within minutes I felt just fine. Then I had some baked potatoes and guacamole and beans for a snack, all great potassium sources.

Comment from: nutrients, Female (Patient) Published: December 15

Stay away from medications and drugs and go for the natural food approach for Crohn's disease. Foods, the right ones will heal you. I have been having gut issues for a while, but sticking to fruits and vegetables and staying away from drugs, pain killers too, has helped my gut heal. Moderation of the pain killers is required, try some pain tolerance once in a while, your body is not getting better from all the pain killers. Take only when you really need them.

Comment from: tooolddon, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 28

I was not diagnosed with Crohn's until 50 years old. I now take mesalamine 800 mg every morning with half of an imodium tablet and the results have been good. The main thing I want all of you to realize is that Crohn's is an immune system reaction caused by inflammation in your digestive track caused by things you're eating. My best results have been cutting out red meat, dairy, and spicy, seedy, raw, and high carbohydrate sugary things like fruit juice. I encourage you to keep a notebook and take it when you go to the store. If you're young, ask your parent/s not to keep items you've nixed in the house, to lessen the temptation. The chance that you can keep your Crohn's under control with only diet is very real.

Comment from: Emma, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 08

After over 40 years of Crohn's disease and going through the daily 'should I go or not' because of fear of a flare up, I changed my diet to eliminate sugar (honey excepted), cut back of coffee and went on a low fiber diet along with vitamins/minerals and Ferrex along with Imuran and probiotics. Today, after 2 months on that regime I have one or 2 mostly normal bowel movements per day and feel I can go and do anything anytime of the day.

Comment from: Hope to help, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 17

I was diagnosed with Crohn's in 1999 and was seriously ill for 3 years. Eventually, by luck and circumstance I discovered that my symptoms were triggered by yeast. I now avoid all yeast, yeast extract (in a lot of processed foods), mushrooms, etc., and regularly eating yoghurt which helps kill yeast. I have now been medication free and kept my condition under control for 10 years. I am not saying that all Crohn's is caused by yeast, but I do wonder if a lot of cases are caused by food intolerance. Try avoiding yeast, if this works a bit try eating yoghurt to see if it helps more. If it doesn't work, try experimenting with different exclusion diets. I know the pain and embarrassment this condition causes and hope that this may help someone.

Crohn's Disease - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of Crohn's disease can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Crohn's Disease - Treatment Question: Describe the various kinds of treatment you've had for Crohn's disease.
Crohn's Disease - Medications Question: What medications have you taken for Crohn's disease? Have any of them helped with symptoms?