Patient Comments: Crohn's Disease - Diet

What diet changes did you have to make, or continue to make to control the symptoms of your Crohn's disease?

Comment from: Healthy 1, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 07

I've been fighting Crohn's disease for 25 years now and went through the surgery to remove my colon where it came back and attacked what I have left, a pouch inside me. I've been following a diet where I don't mix proteins and starches when I eat. I actually found the diet on the web and there seems to be a lot of truth to it. If I mix the proteins and starches, my insides bleed. If I don't mix them, I don't see any bleeding. I'm able to eat anything as long as I don't mix the two. I'm no longer taking any medication because I'm getting a lot better results by following this diet than what the drugs were doing for me.

Comment from: maryann.fish, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I was just diagnosed and I am not sure what I should be eating and what I shouldn't. The only thing that I was told was to cut all spicy foods, tomato products, cheese, fried foods and anything that may cause symptoms to appear. They told me to keep track of what I eat and write it down for reference. Please someone give me some ideas of what is okay to eat.

Published: January 03

I had to cut out all tomato products, watch the fiber in all foods, the key is to eat in moderation, I will have a very little pizza if I get a craving for it (very little). I find that if I tell myself that I can't have something I will want it that much more.

Comment from: Jen, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

I've had Crohn's disease my entire life of 18 years, and am currently having a terrible flare up that has lasted about 3 months now. I am on Humira and other medications, but nothing makes dramatic differences the way it has for previous flare ups. Beer and lettuce are horrible at the moment, but does anyone else have any idea what foods I should be avoiding? I am at my wits end here and am just sick of being, well, sick!

Crohn's Disease - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of Crohn's disease can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Crohn's Disease - Treatment Question: Describe the various kinds of treatment you've had for Crohn's disease.
Crohn's Disease - Medications Question: What medications have you taken for Crohn's disease? Have any of them helped with symptoms?