Patient Comments: Crohn's Disease - Diet

What diet changes did you have to make, or continue to make to control the symptoms of your Crohn's disease?

Comment from: ravensdodance, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

I have had Crohns all my life. I am now 60, was diagnosed when I was 38. I have discovered that if a food smells bad to me, or I don't feel like eating it- and do anyway, I'll get sick. So I go with what smells good, and what I want to eat. I have craved salads, eaten a big one, and been fine, but if I eat salad greens when I 'don't feel like it' I get sick. If everything looks and smells bad, I go back to green Jello for a day or two, then add rice, then back to eating what I want. I've given birth, and Crohns cramps are much worse than childbirth.

Comment from: Burger, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I have had Crohn's for 10 years and find that I have to avoid soda, lettuce, spinach, fried foods, (especially fish fries) and sugary alcoholic drinks. I am fine if I have a few beers. I have recently been taken off of medication but still have the occasional flare up. Maybe 5 times a year. Those 5 times a year are usually due to stress or 1 of the above mentioned items.

Comment from: June, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

It appears that people vary a lot in their diets with Crohn's. I have had Crohn's for over 30 years now. I have to avoid fiber, citrus, spicy food, more recently wheat (there goes my white bread). I have 1 latte a day (more for calcium than anything else) any more milk and I have problems. No fried food and again just in the last 6 months potatoes in any shape or form. My diet is so plain; I have started eating boiled rice with peas, and chicken or cod. My Crohn's is under control and flares up only when I do or eat something I shouldn't. Not always easy as what I could eat yesterday I may not be able to eat tomorrow. Then when you are under control something stressful happens and you lose your insides. Its life, but not as we know it.

Comment from: Kathy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I have Crohn's disease. I had crippling arthritis associated with Crohn's disease. I am now arthritis free and my Crohn's is in remission. Strictly follow: 1) Book and website: Breaking the Vicious Cycle, by Elaine Gotschall 2) Book: The Fat Resistance Diet, by Leo Galland and google Leo Galland for a wealth of knowledge on the web 3) Take a good fish oil and MSM daily

Comment from: Mayhaw Mary, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I have discovered in the 10 years I've had Crohn's disease that I must avoid tomato-based sauces, but can have a few bites of fresh tomato in a salad. I must limit salads to 1 cup of lettuce & avoid iceberg lettuce. Gluten really irritates my digestion, but not in very small amounts (unlike someone with Celiac.) I do best when I have some roughage throughout the day. Oatmeal, beans, quinoa, but none in excess. My gut likes moderation!

Comment from: Healthy 1, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 07

I've been fighting Crohn's disease for 25 years now and went through the surgery to remove my colon where it came back and attacked what I have left, a pouch inside me. I've been following a diet where I don't mix proteins and starches when I eat. I actually found the diet on the web and there seems to be a lot of truth to it. If I mix the proteins and starches, my insides bleed. If I don't mix them, I don't see any bleeding. I'm able to eat anything as long as I don't mix the two. I'm no longer taking any medication because I'm getting a lot better results by following this diet than what the drugs were doing for me.

Comment from:, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I was just diagnosed and I am not sure what I should be eating and what I shouldn't. The only thing that I was told was to cut all spicy foods, tomato products, cheese, fried foods and anything that may cause symptoms to appear. They told me to keep track of what I eat and write it down for reference. Please someone give me some ideas of what is okay to eat.

Published: January 03

I had to cut out all tomato products, watch the fiber in all foods, the key is to eat in moderation, I will have a very little pizza if I get a craving for it (very little). I find that if I tell myself that I can't have something I will want it that much more.

Crohn's Disease - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of Crohn's disease can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Crohn's Disease - Treatment Question: Describe the various kinds of treatment you've had for Crohn's disease.
Crohn's Disease - Medications Question: What medications have you taken for Crohn's disease? Have any of them helped with symptoms?