Patient Comments: Crohn's Disease - Diet

What diet changes did you have to make, or continue to make to control the symptoms of your Crohn's disease?

Comment from: AMysteryOne, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 11

Crohn's Disease is very difficult for me since I have not had many of the pain symptoms that others seem to have. As far as my diet goes, I never eat head lettuce, ever, because it's difficult to digest and has no nutritional value and gives me diarrhea. Also, chocolate is something I can eat only a small piece but many small pieces are hard on me. I always wear a pad since I never know when it will strike. This is one nasty ailment but now it is being controlled by Asacol but I still must be careful.

Comment from: scuba diver 1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 28

I was in Mexico and had several salads. I came home and a week later I was having pain on the right lower abdomen that radiated to the back. Long story short, I ended up vomiting one night for hours and went to the emergency room where they did a CT that showed the thickening in the wall of the intestine saying it may be associated with Crohn's disease, and they put me on antibiotics for anthrax and one for killing parasites.

Comment from: ravensdodance, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

I have had Crohns all my life. I am now 60, was diagnosed when I was 38. I have discovered that if a food smells bad to me, or I don't feel like eating it- and do anyway, I'll get sick. So I go with what smells good, and what I want to eat. I have craved salads, eaten a big one, and been fine, but if I eat salad greens when I 'don't feel like it' I get sick. If everything looks and smells bad, I go back to green Jello for a day or two, then add rice, then back to eating what I want. I've given birth, and Crohns cramps are much worse than childbirth.

Comment from: Burger, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I have had Crohn's for 10 years and find that I have to avoid soda, lettuce, spinach, fried foods, (especially fish fries) and sugary alcoholic drinks. I am fine if I have a few beers. I have recently been taken off of medication but still have the occasional flare up. Maybe 5 times a year. Those 5 times a year are usually due to stress or 1 of the above mentioned items.

Comment from: June, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

It appears that people vary a lot in their diets with Crohn's. I have had Crohn's for over 30 years now. I have to avoid fiber, citrus, spicy food, more recently wheat (there goes my white bread). I have 1 latte a day (more for calcium than anything else) any more milk and I have problems. No fried food and again just in the last 6 months potatoes in any shape or form. My diet is so plain; I have started eating boiled rice with peas, and chicken or cod. My Crohn's is under control and flares up only when I do or eat something I shouldn't. Not always easy as what I could eat yesterday I may not be able to eat tomorrow. Then when you are under control something stressful happens and you lose your insides. Its life, but not as we know it.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I had to give up all dairy products. Especially this ingredient found in ice cream called carrageenan. I also had to give up all corn products and wheat products. I switched to rice milk and almond milk and have to use white rice flour for any "wheat". I am encouraged to eat rice as one of my carbohydrates. I also am supposed to eat 2 white eggs and one yolk daily. I also gave up chocolate and ice cream in this process but now I feel better than before so my diet is paying off. Following this diet helped me a lot!

Comment from: Kathy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I have Crohn's disease. I had crippling arthritis associated with Crohn's disease. I am now arthritis free and my Crohn's is in remission. Strictly follow: 1) Book and website: Breaking the Vicious Cycle, by Elaine Gotschall 2) Book: The Fat Resistance Diet, by Leo Galland and google Leo Galland for a wealth of knowledge on the web 3) Take a good fish oil and MSM daily

Comment from: Mayhaw Mary, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I have discovered in the 10 years I've had Crohn's disease that I must avoid tomato-based sauces, but can have a few bites of fresh tomato in a salad. I must limit salads to 1 cup of lettuce & avoid iceberg lettuce. Gluten really irritates my digestion, but not in very small amounts (unlike someone with Celiac.) I do best when I have some roughage throughout the day. Oatmeal, beans, quinoa, but none in excess. My gut likes moderation!

Crohn's Disease - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of Crohn's disease can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Crohn's Disease - Treatment Question: Describe the various kinds of treatment you've had for Crohn's disease.
Crohn's Disease - Medications Question: What medications have you taken for Crohn's disease? Have any of them helped with symptoms?