Patient Comments: Crohn's Disease - Diet

What diet changes did you have to make, or continue to make to control the symptoms of your Crohn's disease?

Comment from: Kendra, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: December 19

Today I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease during my colonoscopy. I am 15 and I have been having diarrhea, stomach cramps, trouble eating, slight loss of weight, waking up in the middle of the night to "go", and a decreased appetite for the past year. We went in to get it checked out last December at my check-up and they drew blood and got stool samples. All of the tests didn't show anything. They told me to try a certain medication for a while and see if it works. The medication didn't work so we came back and I was referred to a GI doctor. I had to wait 3 months until the doctor had an open clinic. When I went to the clinic the GI doctor observed me and said that everything seemed mostly normal, other than diarrhea of course. He gave us a plan to try. He told me to try a lactose free diet, which didn't work. Then he had me try a medication to relax my bowels before eating , this didn't help either . The next option was to have a colonoscopy. In the hopes of getting more answers we scheduled a colonoscopy. After finding out I had Crohn's disease, I didn't know what to think. I worry a lot about what could happen when I get older. I am very active in volleyball and I play year round. It has affected me in the past volleyball season because I always had to go. I really hope it doesn't get worse.

Comment from: Gramma2nine, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

After being hospitilized for very low iron, I received 4 units of blood, an endascope and a colonascopy. I also had a pill cam. I was told I had Crohn's Disease and small ulcers at the bottom of my small intestine. I have explosive bowel movements or sometimes just soft bowel movements. It is nothing for me to go 5-6 times a day. I cannot remember when I have had a solid bowel movement. I do not have any pain and I have not lost any weight (if anything I am about 50 lbs. overweight.) I am also a diabetic. I have been taking Budesonide and Balsalazide since August. I see no change in my condition. I have no idea what to eat because one day after eating an apple I wonn't have as many bowel movements and then another day I will eat an apple and it is back to the explosive bowel movements. I am very confused.

Comment from: Sooty, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 20

I've had Crohn's for 14 years and as far as diet goes, I listen to my gastroenterologist who told me to eat what I want. That includes chocolate, fried foods, coffee, high fibre foods, low fibre foods, beer and anything else that makes me happy. I haven't had a flare up for 10 years and I believe my happy diet has contributed to this. Hope this helps and good luck

Comment from: Barbi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I'm 45 and have had Crohn's for decades, but only recently was diagnosed. Over this past year I have been keeping a food diary. I noticed, I feel better when I eat burgers and fries, fish sticks, chili and stuff you wouldn't think would help it. Then when I start adding fruits and veggies, grilled meats without fat, milk products and my Crohn's flairs back up again. It gets so bad, I can't even leave home for days. It's the worst pain in the world. I think it really depends on the person as far as what foods you can tolerate. Find out by tracking everything you eat and how you feel for a few months. You will figure out what works best for you. Good luck.

Comment from: Wylljames, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 14

Initially, I was instructed to avoid high-fiber foods; however, over the years, I noted that each remission left me with irregular bowel function (alternating between constipation and diarrhea), which I found was helped by a moderate increase in fiber intake. This diet change appeared to help rectify both problems. At the onset of each exacerbation, I would revert to a low-fiber diet to help my Crohn's disease.

Comment from: AMysteryOne, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 11

Crohn's Disease is very difficult for me since I have not had many of the pain symptoms that others seem to have. As far as my diet goes, I never eat head lettuce, ever, because it's difficult to digest and has no nutritional value and gives me diarrhea. Also, chocolate is something I can eat only a small piece but many small pieces are hard on me. I always wear a pad since I never know when it will strike. This is one nasty ailment but now it is being controlled by Asacol but I still must be careful.

Comment from: scuba diver 1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 28

I was in Mexico and had several salads. I came home and a week later I was having pain on the right lower abdomen that radiated to the back. Long story short, I ended up vomiting one night for hours and went to the emergency room where they did a CT that showed the thickening in the wall of the intestine saying it may be associated with Crohn's disease, and they put me on antibiotics for anthrax and one for killing parasites.

Crohn's Disease - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of Crohn's disease can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Crohn's Disease - Treatment Question: Describe the various kinds of treatment you've had for Crohn's disease.
Crohn's Disease - Medications Question: What medications have you taken for Crohn's disease? Have any of them helped with symptoms?