Patient Comments: Crohn's Disease - Diet

What diet changes did you have to make, or continue to make to control the symptoms of your Crohn's disease?

Comment from: Kendra, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: December 19

Today I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease during my colonoscopy. I am 15 and I have been having diarrhea, stomach cramps, trouble eating, slight loss of weight, waking up in the middle of the night to "go", and a decreased appetite for the past year. We went in to get it checked out last December at my check-up and they drew blood and got stool samples. All of the tests didn't show anything. They told me to try a certain medication for a while and see if it works. The medication didn't work so we came back and I was referred to a GI doctor. I had to wait 3 months until the doctor had an open clinic. When I went to the clinic the GI doctor observed me and said that everything seemed mostly normal, other than diarrhea of course. He gave us a plan to try. He told me to try a lactose free diet, which didn't work. Then he had me try a medication to relax my bowels before eating , this didn't help either . The next option was to have a colonoscopy. In the hopes of getting more answers we scheduled a colonoscopy. After finding out I had Crohn's disease, I didn't know what to think. I worry a lot about what could happen when I get older. I am very active in volleyball and I play year round. It has affected me in the past volleyball season because I always had to go. I really hope it doesn't get worse.

Comment from: Gramma2nine, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

After being hospitilized for very low iron, I received 4 units of blood, an endascope and a colonascopy. I also had a pill cam. I was told I had Crohn's Disease and small ulcers at the bottom of my small intestine. I have explosive bowel movements or sometimes just soft bowel movements. It is nothing for me to go 5-6 times a day. I cannot remember when I have had a solid bowel movement. I do not have any pain and I have not lost any weight (if anything I am about 50 lbs. overweight.) I am also a diabetic. I have been taking Budesonide and Balsalazide since August. I see no change in my condition. I have no idea what to eat because one day after eating an apple I wonn't have as many bowel movements and then another day I will eat an apple and it is back to the explosive bowel movements. I am very confused.

Comment from: Sooty, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 20

I've had Crohn's for 14 years and as far as diet goes, I listen to my gastroenterologist who told me to eat what I want. That includes chocolate, fried foods, coffee, high fibre foods, low fibre foods, beer and anything else that makes me happy. I haven't had a flare up for 10 years and I believe my happy diet has contributed to this. Hope this helps and good luck

Comment from: lnelson1929@msn.com, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I was diagnosed with Crohn's almost 2 years ago. But, I think I have had this disease for at least 10 years prior. The diarrhea is what I just couldn't deal with. Since my Dr. put me on medication, I can deal with it better. There are a lot of foods that I just can't eat as they give me terrible diarrhea. Some of these foods are: nuts, peanut butter, chocolate, whole wheat bread, corn, fried foods, ice cream, spicy foods, processed cheese, etc. I drink soy milk and I avoid coffee, I cannot eat oat or wheat cereals. But, rice cereal is OK. Whenever I have to leave my house for a few hours, I always take anti-diarrheals before I leave. I am glad that I don't have to go to work anymore. The main reason is because I never know when I will have to race to the bathroom.

Comment from: Barbi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I'm 45 and have had Crohn's for decades, but only recently was diagnosed. Over this past year I have been keeping a food diary. I noticed, I feel better when I eat burgers and fries, fish sticks, chili and stuff you wouldn't think would help it. Then when I start adding fruits and veggies, grilled meats without fat, milk products and my Crohn's flairs back up again. It gets so bad, I can't even leave home for days. It's the worst pain in the world. I think it really depends on the person as far as what foods you can tolerate. Find out by tracking everything you eat and how you feel for a few months. You will figure out what works best for you. Good luck.

Comment from: Wylljames, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 14

Initially, I was instructed to avoid high-fiber foods; however, over the years, I noted that each remission left me with irregular bowel function (alternating between constipation and diarrhea), which I found was helped by a moderate increase in fiber intake. This diet change appeared to help rectify both problems. At the onset of each exacerbation, I would revert to a low-fiber diet to help my Crohn's disease.

Crohn's Disease - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of Crohn's disease can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Crohn's Disease - Treatment Question: Describe the various kinds of treatment you've had for Crohn's disease.
Crohn's Disease - Medications Question: What medications have you taken for Crohn's disease? Have any of them helped with symptoms?