Patient Comments: Crohn's Disease - Symptoms

The symptoms of Crohn's disease can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Mon, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 11

My son, 11 years old, is diagnosed with Crohn's disease. He was anemic for 2 years. He did not grow at the same pace as his friends. He made excuses as to why he didn"t want to eat, and would eat only small amounts of food. Then the stomach pain started right side, with loose stools and also very thin stools. He looked pale and was tired and looked so thin and would not gain weight. Hope this helps others looking for answers. I wish we could have helped him sooner. Good luck with everyone"s journey!

Comment from: gethelp2, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I have had stomach problems since I was about 20 - severe cramps, vomiting, and blood pressure rising very high. However I did not get diagnosed with Crohn"s until I was fifty. If they had diagnosed it sooner maybe I wouldn"t be in pain every day. The medicine I am on now has decreased the severity of the pain but I still can"t function very well. Don"t settle for just getting pain medication at hospital if you have these symptoms, don"t let them wait thirty years for you to be diagnosed and treated with other medications. There are times when I have frequent bowel movements and then there are times when I struggle to have bowel movements. You can have Crohn"s without weight loss. I wish I knew then what I know now. Educate yourself or other family members who suffer with stomach problems.

Comment from: Miss.optimistic, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

It was in my junior year of undergraduate studies, about age 20 to 21, that I had severe abdominal pains, a constant low grade fever and persistent diarrhea. I would have to get up numerous times during class to use the bathroom, then feel lethargic all day. I did have some symptoms of Crohn's Disease in high school after eating certain foods, but I did not have the severe pain I felt in college. It took my gastroenterologist almost a year to figure out what was wrong with me. I tried Pentasa first, which I regret immensely. It gave me arthritis as a side effect during the trial and I still have what I call "bubble gut" from the medications that still greatly affects my life today. I then tried a mild steroid that did not help or hinder my condition. I made diet/lifestyle change along with vitamins and probiotics, and I have longer periods in remission and shorter flare ups. Another thing that has helped was the Alcat blood test to figure out exactly every type of food I was allergic to. My intestines are intact, I am not on medication and I rarely have to visit my gastroenterologist.

Published: May 27

I was 18 years old and had extreme stomach pain. I went to my doctor and had a fever that I was unaware of. They sent me to the hospital to have my appendix removed. After the surgery the surgeon told my parents that he just removed a perfectly healthy appendix and that I had Crohn's disease. At that time they removed 18 inches of my intestine. I lost a tremendous amount of weight and have be thin since. My main problem since then, I am now 39 years old is the inability to move my bowels, just the opposite of what I have heard other patients have. I have been hospitalized since, thank god no more surgeries for Crohn's. I recently had a hernia removed, which I was told could have been from straining all these years. I was also in the hospital for five days for what was supposed to be an outpatient procedure because the hernia was so large and there were many lymph nodes that needed to be removed.

Comment from: linda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

My symptoms of Crohn's disease were stomach pain, fissures, nausea, weakness, cramping and abdominal pain.

Comment from: MandiHunter16, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I have had severe Crohn's disease since February 2013. There was abscess involved. I have had surgery twice and still due for another. I'm not on any medications due to pregnancy. Seton drains were placed, for 8 months now; not a happy camper.

Crohn's Disease - Diet Question: What diet changes did you have to make, or continue to make to control the symptoms of your Crohn's disease?
Crohn's Disease - Treatment Question: Describe the various kinds of treatment you've had for Crohn's disease.
Crohn's Disease - Medications Question: What medications have you taken for Crohn's disease? Have any of them helped with symptoms?