Patient Comments: Crohn's Disease - Symptoms

The symptoms of Crohn's disease can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Angzcool, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease at 35. I have cramps in my upper abdomen that hurt through to my back followed by vomiting which gives me relief from the pain for a few minutes. This continues over and over eventually occurring almost constantly. CT and barium swallow showed Crohn's in my jejunum and fluid in my lower abdomen. The fluid confuses the gastroenterologist. I think it's from all the heaving. I was on Pentasa for a short time and prednisone for a long time. I lose weight quickly during a flare but gain it all back when in remission. I have pain when I eat high fiber foods, beans, corn, popcorn, etc. I also have 2 to 3 bowel movements a day most days and have spells of weakness and tiredness on those days. I'm also nauseous a lot.

Comment from: jdalan, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease at the age of nine. I had no symptoms at all, until one day I experienced severe stabbing abdominal pain; and I was rushed into surgery to remove a mass around my large intestine. Seven years later the same thing happened with no acute symptoms in between. Six years after that I began to feel ill, lose weight and I became anemic for several months before surgery number three. Since this I have had six more surgeries and I have lived with symptoms daily. I have abdominal pain, cramps alternating diarrhea and constipation. I have to takes medications constantly.

Comment from: S. N, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

The problems started when I was 17 years old. I had very loose stools immediately after I ate. I took treatments but nothing worked properly. In the long run I started falling sick every other day either with fever or with diarrhea and vomiting. Later on I developed joint pains too. All the tests showed nothing wrong in me. People accused me for pretending to be sick. There was a pain on the right side of my stomach which makes it hard for me to bend or even lie on that side. At last when I was 28 years old I got the correct diagnosis. I have Crohn's disease in my small intestine and wall thickening in three places. I am happy that people stopped accusing me for pretending to be sick. Other than that there is not much change in my condition. I am not able to eat anything which is rich in fiber. On and off I get swellings all over my body and it goes off too.

Comment from: lizzylou224, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease at 4 years old. I first started having symptoms at two but mostly experienced painful, swollen joints and sore, red spots on my skin, with occasional bloody diarrhea. I was seen by a rheumatologist for the arthritis, who told my parents that the problem was not in my joints but in my gut. I then saw a pediatric gastroenterologist, who diagnosed me with Crohn's and started me on sulfasalazine. I've had only one flare since (about 22 years later) and it also began with severe joint pain.

Comment from: TiffLee, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I was 12 years old when I originally got sick. After much abdominal pain, weight loss, passing out, vomiting, and innumerable amounts of bathroom trips I was admitted to the hospital 4 months later and was diagnosed with Crohn's. It was a long diagnosing process because I didn't have blood in my stool which led my doctors to believe it wasn't Crohn's. After an upper and lower colonoscopy/endoscopy I was diagnosed with Crohn's at the age of 13. Since then I have been on several medications including Pentasa, Lialda, Imuran, Humira, and currently Remicade. My immune system developed antibodies to each medication causing me not respond to the medications after a time. I was on Humira for two years and the previous 3 prior to Humira was different periods of time on each medication. I am 21 years old now and have been on Remicade for two years and am doing well still. However, I am concerned because recently I have been getting blood in my stool that normally signals a flare-up for me, but I just got back great blood work tests.

Crohn's Disease - Diet Question: What diet changes did you have to make, or continue to make to control the symptoms of your Crohn's disease?
Crohn's Disease - Treatment Question: Describe the various kinds of treatment you've had for Crohn's disease.
Crohn's Disease - Medications Question: What medications have you taken for Crohn's disease? Have any of them helped with symptoms?