Patient Comments: Crohn's Disease - Symptoms

The symptoms of Crohn's disease can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Published: July 23

I was recently diagnosed with Crohn's Disease at the age 17. One morning at school I felt as if I was cramping but the pain increased tremendously so then I thought it was a gas bubble. Within seconds I was bent over, pants un-buttoned, crying in severe pain. I was taken to the hospital and at first they thought I needed my appendix taken out but that was negative so they did many tests on me before I was sent home and saw that my small intestines was inflamed. I was sent to a GI doctor and found that I had the symptoms of Crohn's and after drinking Barium (the worst taste EVER!) and more tests I was then diagnosed with an early part of Crohn's. I am now taking Pentasa and Entocort EC and so far every once in awhile I get stomach pains and often soft stool but I'm still living life to the fullest.

Comment from: MandiHunter16, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I have had severe Crohn's disease since February 2013. There was abscess involved. I have had surgery twice and still due for another. I'm not on any medications due to pregnancy. Seton drains were placed, for 8 months now; not a happy camper.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I suddenly had stomach cramps and did not feel good followed shortly thereafter by bloody diarrhea. Within 4 hrs I had lost a great amounts of blood. Blood count was down to 6.

Comment from: rissa, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 06

My brother was just diagnosed (supposedly) with Crohn's, but he has a serious drug problem and has been on heroin for years. I was wondering if the heroin could have been affecting his stomach in a way that he was misdiagnosed. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, but this isn't the first time he's cried wolf.

Comment from: Teresa, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

I was 16 when diagnosed with Crohn's I am now 34. Started out with abdominal pain in the right side nausea and vomiting. They though it was my appendix when they got in to take it out they found I had Crohn's. I have been on several medications. Prednisone, Solu-Medrol, Lomotil, Imuran, Entocort, Remicade and Humira. I currently don't take any medicine. I found that Humira worked best for me but every 2 weeks when I took a dose I always ended up with a sore throat. Which put me on antibiotics and couldn't take the Humira. I can't get any Medicaid or anything and cannot afford to go to the doctor for the past I guess 10 years. But I learned to semi control it on my own. I drink plenty of water but not too much about 4 glasses a day and lots of tea. I eat anything I want to just stay away from spicy foods, nuts and corn. I believe with my Crohn's it varies from day to day. I don't have much of the pain anymore. I had reconstructive bowel surgery in 2000 and an obstruction in 2004. Been doing pretty good since then.

Published: July 24

Pain started a week ago, and comes in waves, like labor pain, on righthand side, and deep where ovary used to be. I have nausea and weak legs. I am too scared now to eat at all. The pain goes round now to behind right hip. Loose bowels and the feeling that my insides are being twisted.

Published: July 23

My son was diagnosed 3 months ago, but he was sick for 6 months before. He complained with a stomach ache and I would take him to the doctor and he would say it's a virus and give him antibiotics. Soon he had missed so much school that I had to get something done. (He really does not like school so I thought he was faking at first.)He had diarrhea and abdominal pain but no fever, but the g.i. doctor did a CT scan for appendicitis and ended up with a diagnosis of Crohn's.

Published: July 21

I was in my early 40s (now mid 60s) when I began to have a lot of diarrhea, which was getting me up in the middle of the night. I simply felt unwell with a low grade fever. I rarely had stomach aches, but I had so much pain in my groin that I couldn't walk. I was diagnosed by colonoscopy. I have never had surgery and tried almost every medication known to doctors. My most significant complaint, besides the frequent trips to the bathroom with loose stools, is joint pain, especially around my ribs, sternum and collar bone. Remicade was a miracle drug for those pains and the groin pain but it stopped working after a while: I would be barely able to walk into the hospital to get the infusion and would feel great leaving two hours later. I am thinking of going back onto Entocort because I have not been feeling well recently. I know my Crohn's path is unusual, but I hope this helps someone.

Crohn's Disease - Diet Question: What diet changes did you have to make, or continue to make to control the symptoms of your Crohn's disease?
Crohn's Disease - Treatment Question: Describe the various kinds of treatment you've had for Crohn's disease.
Crohn's Disease - Medications Question: What medications have you taken for Crohn's disease? Have any of them helped with symptoms?