Patient Comments: Crohn's Disease - Symptoms

The symptoms of Crohn's disease can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Published: July 07

My six-teen year old daughter was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease last week and fear filled my body immediately. We took her to the doctor due to her finding blood from her anus after using the restroom. She has not yet experienced any pain due to the disease; however, the doctor told us that it is in its early stage at this time. She does experience back pain on her spine and we are in the process of having that checked out as well. I read that Crohn's disease affects the spine also.

Published: July 07

I have suffered with Crohn's disease since pre-teen ages. I finally discovered a name for my condition at 60. I have discovered a way to put my condition on hold long enough to fly cross country, and go to the grocery store with out worrying about a mishap in public. This is what has worked for me, and if it helps anyone not be 100% house bound, then it's worth my sharing this with you. I take a Vicodin 500 MG and within an hour the diarrhea will subside, and prevent a mishaps for at least 10 to 12 hours. It works so well for me that I use this process sparingly as I don't want to dilute the effectiveness by using it daily. Also, I am told this pain medication can become addictive. I don't want that either so, I am cautious.

Published: June 27

I was diagnosed with Crohns later than most, age 38. I was treated when younger for ulcers but nothing serious. I had symptoms for several years: hair loss, brittle nails, severe stomach pains, nausea, fatigue, dizziness due to lack of proper diet (ate little due to pain), severe weight loss. Never a large person, I weighed 82lbs by the time I chose surgery. Spent several years on steroids and various medications. The medication provided temporary relief of some symptoms but the pain still made day-to-day activities unbearable. I am now five years without symptoms. I experience some discomfort when eating certain foods now: tomatoes, peanuts, cucumbers, etc. You learn to live without or in very minimal portions. I had 18 inches removed and they expected me back within a year due to the amount of scare damage related to the disease. I will not wait so long next time; prefer to live without a next time. Fingers crossed and living my life to its fullest!

Published: June 24

I've had Crohn's disease since I was 15 yrs. old. I am now 19, at first I had diarrhea, severe stomach pain, weakness. I went to the hospital and they told me it was a stomach virus, I went on antibiotics and nothing seemed to be helping that was how it went for 6 months, in that time I lost 102 lbs. I couldn't eat, I was throwing up bile and stomach acids, severe diarrhea and the stomach pain was intolerable, finally I went to a GI doctor he did a colonoscopy and found it was Crohn's disease since then I've been on about every medicine there is 3 caused pancreatitis. I am about to start Remicade, I am very hopeful. My symptoms have cleared up a lot since I was first sick, hopefully Remicade will put me into remission so I can live happier.

Published: June 24

Fever, severe diarrhea, nausea and vomiting, blisters in throat and mouth, pain in abdomen, inability to swallow without pain, extreme weakness.

Published: June 19

I began having serious issues with Crohn's Disease when I was 16. I was under a lot of stress and had diarrhea or vomiting or both nearly every day. A doctor diagnosed me with IBD and once the stress went away, I was fine for a long time. 10 years later, I was officially diagnosed with Crohn's and Rheumatoid Arthritis. Many of the RA meds helped the Crohn's. I only have problems now when I have too much fresh fruit, or when I am stressed past my normal daily stresses. The end result is always either bulky soft stool or thin strings of stool. I worry more about the thin stool because I know it indicates swelling in the small intestine and can result in obstructions. But, suddenly needing a bathroom without warning isn't a lot of fun either!

Published: June 19

When turned 16, I started to get severe abdominal cramps and chronic diarrhea. I lost 15lbs in less than 2 weeks. I also became severely malnourished and anemic. Now, 25 yrs later, I am much better at maintaining my weight and have been on a special diet (no milk/dairy products, low-residue diet.

Crohn's Disease - Diet Question: What diet changes did you have to make, or continue to make to control the symptoms of your Crohn's disease?
Crohn's Disease - Treatment Question: Describe the various kinds of treatment you've had for Crohn's disease.
Crohn's Disease - Medications Question: What medications have you taken for Crohn's disease? Have any of them helped with symptoms?