Patient Comments: Crohn's Disease - Symptoms

The symptoms of Crohn's disease can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 10

Initially I lost weight, I had 5 to eight bowel movements of pure dark liquid, burning cramps, and no appetite. Initially I was put in hospital mistakenly for bleeding ulcer in 1987. I was diagnosed with Crohn's in 1988.

Comment from: Engl Bull Lover, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I started having intermittent diarrhea for 6 months. Colonoscopy showed no signs of inflammation. Diarrhea worsened to 30 plus times per day. Five months after the first colonoscopy, a second showed severe damage in a rare area for Crohn's. Also now I have high liver enzyme test results. All very sudden for the first signs at 60 years old!

Comment from: sgoakey, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 23

I am 46 and was diagnosed with Crohn's at age 19. The symptoms some years earlier were actually arthritis in the hips, well before suffering severe gut pain. At 19 I had part of small and large bowel removed and was told then I was a likely recipient of new hip joints when I turned 40. I still have the old hips but they get very sore if I exercise (e.g., walk or run). From the surgery until around age 40 I virtually had no symptoms. Even today have little gut pain. But I have suffered diarrhea since 40.

Comment from: Lisa P, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I started with constipation for 2 years with severe stabbing pain in lower left hip. Then I was alternating between diarrhea and constipation for 2 years, still with severe pain. I had a year of diarrhea, 20 times a day, until my bowel perforated and I had emergency surgery. I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease after surgery. I also have sacroiliitis.

Comment from: Mon, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 11

My son, 11 years old, is diagnosed with Crohn's disease. He was anemic for 2 years. He did not grow at the same pace as his friends. He made excuses as to why he didn"t want to eat, and would eat only small amounts of food. Then the stomach pain started right side, with loose stools and also very thin stools. He looked pale and was tired and looked so thin and would not gain weight. Hope this helps others looking for answers. I wish we could have helped him sooner. Good luck with everyone"s journey!

Comment from: gethelp2, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I have had stomach problems since I was about 20 - severe cramps, vomiting, and blood pressure rising very high. However I did not get diagnosed with Crohn"s until I was fifty. If they had diagnosed it sooner maybe I wouldn"t be in pain every day. The medicine I am on now has decreased the severity of the pain but I still can"t function very well. Don"t settle for just getting pain medication at hospital if you have these symptoms, don"t let them wait thirty years for you to be diagnosed and treated with other medications. There are times when I have frequent bowel movements and then there are times when I struggle to have bowel movements. You can have Crohn"s without weight loss. I wish I knew then what I know now. Educate yourself or other family members who suffer with stomach problems.

Comment from: Miss.optimistic, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

It was in my junior year of undergraduate studies, about age 20 to 21, that I had severe abdominal pains, a constant low grade fever and persistent diarrhea. I would have to get up numerous times during class to use the bathroom, then feel lethargic all day. I did have some symptoms of Crohn's Disease in high school after eating certain foods, but I did not have the severe pain I felt in college. It took my gastroenterologist almost a year to figure out what was wrong with me. I tried Pentasa first, which I regret immensely. It gave me arthritis as a side effect during the trial and I still have what I call "bubble gut" from the medications that still greatly affects my life today. I then tried a mild steroid that did not help or hinder my condition. I made diet/lifestyle change along with vitamins and probiotics, and I have longer periods in remission and shorter flare ups. Another thing that has helped was the Alcat blood test to figure out exactly every type of food I was allergic to. My intestines are intact, I am not on medication and I rarely have to visit my gastroenterologist.

Crohn's Disease - Diet Question: What diet changes did you have to make, or continue to make to control the symptoms of your Crohn's disease?
Crohn's Disease - Treatment Question: Describe the various kinds of treatment you've had for Crohn's disease.
Crohn's Disease - Medications Question: What medications have you taken for Crohn's disease? Have any of them helped with symptoms?