Patient Comments: Crohn's Disease - Symptoms

The symptoms of Crohn's disease can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: MandiHunter16, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I have had severe Crohn's disease since February 2013. There was abscess involved. I have had surgery twice and still due for another. I'm not on any medications due to pregnancy. Seton drains were placed, for 8 months now; not a happy camper.

Comment from: linda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

My symptoms of Crohn's disease were stomach pain, fissures, nausea, weakness, cramping and abdominal pain.

Comment from: BeckyMc, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

When I first got Crohn's I had a hard time getting a diagnosis for my symptoms. I had terrible diarrhea but I was also vomiting a lot. When it was finally sorted out it was determined that I had Crohn's and gall bladder disease. Surgery removed gall bladder and almost two feet of small intestines. Since then I have had another section removed of about 21".

Comment from: Crohns coritis, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 28

This illness started with blood in my stools and cramps in my stomach. I had a colonoscopy. I could see it was inflamed and had ulcers. I was given medication, now that I have finished the medication, it has returned.

Comment from: Crohn's@23yrsold, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease at 23 years old. I would get such bad stomach pains, I would double over. Everything I would eat I'd have to go to the bathroom or hope I was near a bathroom. I am now 36 and I haven't had a solid bowel movement since I was around 21. I've tried several medications and it just seems like nothing works. My doctor has always had me on pain medications. He was hoping they would kind of constipate me, but I have never in my life been constipated. Bentyl, Donnatol and a couple other meds, plus the pain killers, are the only things that ever seem to help me. I eat like a pig, but I am 5'9”, and when I first got sick I weighed 87 pounds. Not because I wanted to be a stick. I've managed to put on some weight, but when my nerves bother me, my Crohn's flares up really bad. My doctor says I'll more than likely be on some kind of pain medication for the rest of my life. I eat like I should with Crohn's, but yet I have severe flare ups. I just wish I could be normal.

Published: July 23

I was recently diagnosed with Crohn's Disease at the age 17. One morning at school I felt as if I was cramping but the pain increased tremendously so then I thought it was a gas bubble. Within seconds I was bent over, pants un-buttoned, crying in severe pain. I was taken to the hospital and at first they thought I needed my appendix taken out but that was negative so they did many tests on me before I was sent home and saw that my small intestines was inflamed. I was sent to a GI doctor and found that I had the symptoms of Crohn's and after drinking Barium (the worst taste EVER!) and more tests I was then diagnosed with an early part of Crohn's. I am now taking Pentasa and Entocort EC and so far every once in awhile I get stomach pains and often soft stool but I'm still living life to the fullest.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I suddenly had stomach cramps and did not feel good followed shortly thereafter by bloody diarrhea. Within 4 hrs I had lost a great amounts of blood. Blood count was down to 6.

Comment from: rissa, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 06

My brother was just diagnosed (supposedly) with Crohn's, but he has a serious drug problem and has been on heroin for years. I was wondering if the heroin could have been affecting his stomach in a way that he was misdiagnosed. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, but this isn't the first time he's cried wolf.

Crohn's Disease - Diet Question: What diet changes did you have to make, or continue to make to control the symptoms of your Crohn's disease?
Crohn's Disease - Treatment Question: Describe the various kinds of treatment you've had for Crohn's disease.
Crohn's Disease - Medications Question: What medications have you taken for Crohn's disease? Have any of them helped with symptoms?