Patient Comments: Crohn's Disease - Medications

What medications have you taken for Crohn's disease? Have any of them helped with symptoms?

Comment from: Robert, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 31

I suffered for about 2 1/2 years before finding a treatment to relieve my symptoms. It began suddenly, just prior to an overseas trip which had to be cancelled. I began to see fresh blood in my stool and by the next day I probably had a high fever (because I had hallucinations during the night but no thermometer) and felt very weak and nauseous. I saw my primary doctor and he arranged a colonoscopy, scheduled in six weeks. Two years, two colonoscopies, one camera swallow, countless blood tests and four gastroenterologists later I started budesonide and began getting relief from the continuous bloody diarrhea. In the interim, I had tried Asacol, Pentasa, Lialda, balsalazide, mesalamine, enemas and prednisone. I seem to be in remission now on 3mg of budesonide daily.

Comment from: Molly, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 17

I have been on so many medications for Crohn's disease but Cimzia has made a huge difference for me! I was very scared about a biologic drug but it has made it possible to have a life outside my bathroom. I can spend time with my children and go do things. Eat something other than liquid or soft blah foods. I love Cimzia.

Comment from: FriendlySurvivor, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 11

Fecal transplants saved my life. I was very ill with Crohn's for years and finally tried Sky Curtis's protocol for doing fecal transplants at home. After years of suffering, her treatment saved me! I have no more symptoms! I bought her fecal transfusions guidebook online. No one needs to suffer any longer with this terrible disease. There's hope! I wish you all the best in your recovery.

Comment from: gopal, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 22

My wife is suffering from Crohn's disease for about two years. She is now under treatment. The doctor said treatment will be continued for long time. At present she is taking Pentasa-500 two tablets three times, Farizym Forte one tablet three times and A TO Z one tablet daily. She takes Amixide - H one tablet at bed time, Wysolone one tablet 15mg daily for two months, 10 mg for2 months, 7.5 mg for 2 months, 5 mg for 2 months and 2.5 mg for 2 months. At present she is 80% fit.

Crohn's Disease - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of Crohn's disease can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Crohn's Disease - Diet Question: What diet changes did you have to make, or continue to make to control the symptoms of your Crohn's disease?
Crohn's Disease - Treatment Question: Describe the various kinds of treatment you've had for Crohn's disease.