Patient Comments: Crohn's Disease - Treatment

Describe the various kinds of treatment you've had for Crohn's disease.

Comment from: WyoJane, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

I have severe fistulating Crohn's disease since the age of 9. At 43 my body is so broken. I have done it all, medications, tests, and pure natural. I am still recovering from my 14th surgery with daily homecare nurse visits due to poor wound healing, though been flaring for 2 years. I also have celiac, asthma, arthritis, pyoderma gangrenosum, and centralized pain syndrome with C fiber to name a few. I have had consistent diarrhea since May. This weekend started more black tar in the toilet so bleeding again in the small bowel. I lost 65 lb. in the last 6 months, now at 190s. We are waiting for new biologic pathways to try. I no longer qualify for trials due to permanent colostomy. I am hoping methotrexate shots, steroid shots, and Entocort hold me until something new. Surgeon will not do anymore surgeries unless I am on death's door. Last one nearly killed me. I have about 20 inches of large bowel left. Just remember that there is a wide spectrum of manifestations of Crohn's. Those with severe cases are constantly fighting for their lives. It is a fulltime job.

Comment from: rose, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease (CD) at age 59, by colonoscopy. I had developed urgent bowel movement, soft stools, which I thought was a side effect of the omeprazole I had just gone on for reflux (Barrett's syndrome diagnosed). The gastroenterologist just went for the direct approach. Blood tests at the time revealed auto-immune problems, so I was also seeing a rheumatologist (for sudden knee pains), dermatologist (for allergic skin problems), and ophthalmologist for dry eyes. I had no pain, am overweight, and no known eating allergies. I had a 6 month dose of steroids, put on even more weight, but within a month I was back to normal in the bowel movement department. Now no symptoms of Crohn's apart from occasional signs of fresh blood on the tissue paper. But I do suffer from an occasional serious bout of burning skin rash on face and neck, and/or a dose of itchy skin and hives rotating around the body for a few weeks. I had this for a couple of years before diagnosis of CD. Mystery. But I am grateful that this seems to be my only problem (not sure if connected) from my CD. I don't feel like a Crohn's sufferer, I can't relate to most of the above although I do sympathize; also I worry for my future.

Comment from: ulunda, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease at age 68 after suffering stomach pain and having a colonoscopy. I was put on Imuran which helped for a while until I was admitted to hospital with pancreatitis. After this painful episode I tried another tablet which I can't remember but it had bad side effects too. In between medications I was on steroids which were great but I was not allowed to stay on them for more than a month or two. I eventually had 2 trips to hospital for bowel resection about 13 cm each time, they were exactly 1 year apart. I am now on methotrexate injections once a week for maintenance and the side effects of this injection are horrible. I inject every Monday morning then feel nauseous and want to sleep for the next 3 days. At the moment I am suffering severe pain in my stomach and feel I might have gallstones. I am seeing my doctor in 2 days so hopefully I can get some relief.

Comment from: Kate, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

After 3 abdominal surgeries for Crohn's disease (that did little or nothing) and trying several other treatments, I have now been symptom free since 2001, after receiving acupuncture.

Crohn's Disease - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of Crohn's disease can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Crohn's Disease - Diet Question: What diet changes did you have to make, or continue to make to control the symptoms of your Crohn's disease?
Crohn's Disease - Medications Question: What medications have you taken for Crohn's disease? Have any of them helped with symptoms?