Patient Comments: Creatinine Blood Test - Results

Why did your health care professional want to check your creatinine levels?

Comment from: Annie102, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

While being tested as a possible kidney donor, I was told my GFR was 67 and my kidneys were not functioning properly. After consulting with a nephrologist and urologist, I have been told there is nothing wrong with my kidneys and I am a borderline candidate to be a donor with less than 1% chance of ever having kidney problems until I'm in my late 90s. Needless to say, the first diagnosis caused immeasurable stress to both me and the potential kidney recipient. All of this occurred because the GFR was not properly done. Please seek additional consultations if you receive an erroneous diagnosis like I did. You will at least have peace of mind knowing whether or not the first diagnosis was correct.

Comment from: LadySilverFox, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I've had two blood tests in the last six weeks, the 2nd for a second opinion (different lab, different Dr.). First test (non-fasting) returned 1.20 mg/dL creatinine, serum (and 45 mL eGFR)which was noted as abnormal, possible CKD. The second (fasting) returned 1.11 mg/dL creatinine (and 49 mL eGFR). That lab said up to 1.18 mL/dL was OK; only the eGFR was noted as out of range. The second doctor said the overall results were normal. I'm not convinced. Something about all of this does not ring true. As far as I know, I've never had either one out of range before.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I had a physical done and my creatine level was more than normal. I workout quite a bit and although still not in the best of shape, my doctor said it was due to the massive amounts of muscle I have for a woman. I'm concerned though of course as I have low IGA and my bone marrow produces more of 1 white blood cell than another. I am leaning towards having more testing done and hoping to find out that the doctor is right.

Comment from: Muhammad, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 26

My Father recently consulted doctor. He initially had problems like urine passes every now and then and fever. He gets fever in the early night and cures by mid night. Doctors are unable to conclude as one doc says something to with bladder and other says something to do with kidney, but anyhow he had a biopsy and report says that the level of creatinine is more than normal.

Comment from: EducatedConsumer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

A combination of a statin drug to reduce cholesterol and diltiazem (Cartia XT) for hyptertension caused a rise in my creatinine levels. Since I have polycystic kidney disease (PKD) and the level of creatinine in the blood is a major indicator of kidney function, this was cause for concern. Check with your pharmacist for possible drug interactions every time you get a new prescription.

Comment from: Margarida, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I recently had blood tests done and my creatinine level is above the normal, is at 95 umol/L. As it happens it's not the first time I have results of previous tests raised above the normal and, to my surprise my GP tells me it's of no importance! I am not so sure about it and at this point I am concerned! My gut feeling tells I should.

Comment from: KevinFitzz, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 30

My creatine was off. I took another test yesterday. I looked up the results and it was off again. I was on Atenolol and lisiprin for blood pressure. The doc took me off of those as my BP was dropping fast. I am now awaiting word from my doc. I am very anemic. I've already seen a hematologist and he talked about bone marrow test. Ugh I'm already in a kettle of fish with Ataxia, Peripheral Neuropathy caused by Wernicke's. I don't need any more trouble.

Creatinine Blood Test - Normal Levels Question: Were your creatinine blood test results higher than normal levels? If so, what was the diagnosis and what action was taken to lower the creatinine levels?
Creatinine Blood Level - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with high or low creatinine blood levels.