Are there any interactions with medications?
Medications that can harm the kidneys (Nephrotoxic Drugs)
Be cautious with this combination.
Talk with your health provider.
Taking high doses of creatine might harm the kidneys. Some medications can also harm the kidneys. Taking creatine with other medications that can harm the kidneys might increase the chance of kidney damage.
Some of these medications that can harm the kidneys include cyclosporine (Neoral, Sandimmune); aminoglycosides including amikacin (Amikin), gentamicin (Garamycin, Gentak, others), and tobramycin (Nebcin, others); nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) including ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, Nuprin, others), indomethacin (Indocin), naproxen (Aleve, Anaprox, Naprelan, Naprosyn), piroxicam (Feldene); and numerous others.
Dosing considerations for Creatine.
The following doses have been studied in scientific research:
- For improving physical performance, several dosing regimens have been tried:
- Creatine is typically loaded with 20 grams per day (or 0.3 grams per kg) for 5 days followed by a maintenance dose of 2 or more grams (0.03 grams per kg) daily, Although 5 day loading is typical, 2 days of loading has also been used.
- A loading dose of 9 grams per day for 6 days has also been used. Some sources suggest that, instead of acutely loading, similar results can be obtained with 3 grams per day for 28 days.
During creatine supplementation, the water intake should be 64 ounces per day.
- For heart failure: 20 grams per day for 5-10 days.
- For Parkinson's disease:
- 10 grams/day.
- A loading dose of creatine 20 grams/day for 6 days followed by 2 grams/day for 6 months, and then 4 grams daily for 18 months has also been used.
- For improving resistance training in people with Parkinson's disease: a loading dose of 20 grams/day for 5 days, followed by 5 grams/day.
- For gyrate atrophy: 1.5 grams per day.
- For muscular dystrophies: 10 grams per day has been used by adults and 5 grams per day has been used by children.
- For McArdle's disease: 150 mg / kg daily for 5 days and then continue with 60 mg / kg / day.