Patient Comments: Coxsackie Virus - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your Coxsackie virus infection?

Comment from: williamj, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 12

My son's preschool had a Coxsackie virus outbreak of which he ended up getting a mild case. A week after my son's initial symptoms I developed a 101.5 fever, sore throat and generalized body aches. The following day the fever was down but I still had the sore throat and the dorsal and palmar aspect of my hands were extremely itchy but I had no visible rash. The next day I had developed sores around my hand, in my nose, ears and mouth. My palmar and dorsal aspects of my feet had developed a significant rash. It was very painful to extend my fingers and painful to walk on, almost as if I has small rocks in my shoes. Today I have a full body rash, some of which is indurated. I am currently afebrile, but that could be from the Motrin. My throat is still sore as if I swallowed glass and my finger tips are so sore it is painful to even type this. They feel as if my finger nails are under pressure and are going to pop off at any moment. The rash is intermittently itchy. I saw a doctor today, mainly for a work note. I've been living on Motrin 800 mg 3 times/day and Benadryl 50mg 4 times/day. The rash has showed no sign of subsiding, if anything it is worse. The doctor indicated it will have to run its course and to continue conservative treatment. I'm initiating acyclovir 400 mg 3 times/day in addition to Motrin and Benadryl. I realize that it might be too late to start the anti-viral medication but at this point I'm willing to try. This has been a very miserable experience.

Comment from: erich, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 23

With Coxsackie virus infection I had fever for 24 hours. Then onset of blisters on hands, front and back and some blisters on face, and in my case, none on feet. The blisters itch and seem to spread easily.

Comment from: nikki, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I came down with a very bad sore throat and high fever while traveling to Italy on my honeymoon. A couple of days after the fever broke, I came down with a red bumpy rash on my elbows and knees. A couple of days after that, I developed small painful blisters on my hands, feet, mouth. My hands are still swelled up (on day 6 today after blisters appeared). I feel extremely tired, feel like my hands are stiff (almost paralyzed) and feet and hands tingly and numb. The emergency room (ER) said they'd never seen an adult case of Coxsackie virus infection. ER put me on Valtrex and pain medications. My primary care doctor has never seen an adult case of it either. This is miserable.

Comment from: Squirrelgirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I contracted the Coxsackie virus about 6 weeks ago. I had a raging sore throat that was persistent 24 hours a day. Swallowing was torture. Once I started taking Advil regularly, that helped. But since Advil would last exactly 4 hours, I would wake in the middle of the night from the pain. I also developed conjunctivitis in both eyes, which dribbled day and night, and lasted a week (that infection was resolved with antibiotic eye drops). I also had fever on and off. In the 3 weeks since I recovered, I still get a sore throat from time to time. I can't be sure whether this is because the virus is still in me, or if this sore throat is unrelated, like from a regular cold or allergies.

Comment from: TXH, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

I am a 68 year old female. In February, 2014, I became ill with what I thought was flu. I had severe headache, fever, and aches. I got two sores in my mouth that I thought were normal ulcers. It all lasted a week, but I still had the fatigue and my legs above my knees broke out with large red dots under the skin, but no itching. I went to several doctors who said it was vasculitis. I continued to have severe fatigue. I have Sjogren's syndrome which does cause fatigue, which I have had over 20 years, but this is more severe. In September 2014 I had another bout and fever went up to 103. I have had night sweats, shortness of breath and chest pain. My doctor sent me to an infectious disease doctor because I had been bitten by mosquitoes and she thought I had been bitten by a tick. After many blood tests, I was found to have Coxsackie B Type 4 virus. I still have severe fatigue and now have severe anemia that will have to be treated by my primary doctor. The virus has no treatment, has to run its course which normally is about 2 weeks. Doctor said I got it from mosquitoes but you can get it many ways I am learning, and it can cause damage to your heart. I have been fortunate not to have some of the severe symptoms some of you have.

Coxsackie Virus - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with Coxsackie virus.
Coxsackie Virus - Treatment Question: What treatment did you or your child receive for a Coxsackie virus infection?