Patient Comments: Coxsackievirus - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your coxsackievirus infection?

Comment from: Toveli Liert, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 14

It was 9 months ago when the doctor confirmed that my boy has Coxsackie virus. My son got a Coxsackie virus infection last year and it left him with some nasty blisters on his hands and feet, but especially his mouth. He couldn't eat or talk. He was so miserable and I hoped we'd never experience it again but he got it again. It started out with a sudden fever and nausea, along with a sore throat for about a full 24 hours before I noticed the blisters on his hands and feet. The doctor diagnosed Coxsackie virus. The blisters on his feet are so bad that the entire top of his feet are just one big scab oozing and crusting. He's got it so bad on his hands, feet, arms and legs. Luckily his throat didn't get it too bad this time.

Comment from: Arnold, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 07

I started to feel as though I was getting a simple cold but noticed there was not much sinus and no upper respiratory involvement. So, my doctor and I thought it was strep throat. I tested mildly positive for it. I was put on ten days of amoxicillin. The symptoms started to lessen some, but I still had a headache and occasional chills. Then, about seven days into it, I developed some real pain in the roof of my mouth, way in the back by my throat. I noticed the development of a single big sore back there with redness around it. That's what gave it away and we found I had Coxsackie virus infection.

Comment from: Cat Lover, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I am a retired nurse. Tonight I was telling a fellow nurse friend about my flu like symptoms with a rash on my palms. She is an infectious disease nurse and told me that I probably have the Coxsackie virus. I will call my doctor tomorrow. My symptoms started with a stiff neck, headache, and sore throat. Then starting the next day, I ran a low grade fever (not over 100.5 degrees) for 2 days. My throat was so sore with red areas in the back of my throat, I could hardly swallow. I also had very achy joints. I talked to a nurse who works with my doctor and we decided that I must have a gastrointestinal (GI) virus. I had some mild GI symptoms and malaise. After two days, the fever stopped, but then I started having blisters on the palms of my hands and fingers. They start as small itchy slightly elevated red spots and then turn into blisters. I have had them for the last 2 days and they are continuing to appear. I have one blister on the bottom of one of my feet. My sore throat and achiness is gone as well as the fever. As a typical nurse, I am diagnosing myself, but will call my doctor tomorrow.

Comment from: williamj, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 12

My son's preschool had a Coxsackie virus outbreak of which he ended up getting a mild case. A week after my son's initial symptoms I developed a 101.5 fever, sore throat and generalized body aches. The following day the fever was down but I still had the sore throat and the dorsal and palmar aspect of my hands were extremely itchy but I had no visible rash. The next day I had developed sores around my hand, in my nose, ears and mouth. My palmar and dorsal aspects of my feet had developed a significant rash. It was very painful to extend my fingers and painful to walk on, almost as if I has small rocks in my shoes. Today I have a full body rash, some of which is indurated. I am currently afebrile, but that could be from the Motrin. My throat is still sore as if I swallowed glass and my finger tips are so sore it is painful to even type this. They feel as if my finger nails are under pressure and are going to pop off at any moment. The rash is intermittently itchy. I saw a doctor today, mainly for a work note. I've been living on Motrin 800 mg 3 times/day and Benadryl 50mg 4 times/day. The rash has showed no sign of subsiding, if anything it is worse. The doctor indicated it will have to run its course and to continue conservative treatment. I'm initiating acyclovir 400 mg 3 times/day in addition to Motrin and Benadryl. I realize that it might be too late to start the anti-viral medication but at this point I'm willing to try. This has been a very miserable experience.

Coxsackievirus - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with the coxsackievirus.
Coxsackievirus - Treatment Question: What treatment did you or your child receive for a coxsackievirus infection?