Patient Comments: Coxsackie Virus - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your Coxsackie virus infection?

Comment from: nikki, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I came down with a very bad sore throat and high fever while traveling to Italy on my honeymoon. A couple of days after the fever broke, I came down with a red bumpy rash on my elbows and knees. A couple of days after that, I developed small painful blisters on my hands, feet, mouth. My hands are still swelled up (on day 6 today after blisters appeared). I feel extremely tired, feel like my hands are stiff (almost paralyzed) and feet and hands tingly and numb. The emergency room (ER) said they'd never seen an adult case of Coxsackie virus infection. ER put me on Valtrex and pain medications. My primary care doctor has never seen an adult case of it either. This is miserable.

Comment from: Squirrelgirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I contracted the Coxsackie virus about 6 weeks ago. I had a raging sore throat that was persistent 24 hours a day. Swallowing was torture. Once I started taking Advil regularly, that helped. But since Advil would last exactly 4 hours, I would wake in the middle of the night from the pain. I also developed conjunctivitis in both eyes, which dribbled day and night, and lasted a week (that infection was resolved with antibiotic eye drops). I also had fever on and off. In the 3 weeks since I recovered, I still get a sore throat from time to time. I can't be sure whether this is because the virus is still in me, or if this sore throat is unrelated, like from a regular cold or allergies.

Comment from: TXH, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

I am a 68 year old female. In February, 2014, I became ill with what I thought was flu. I had severe headache, fever, and aches. I got two sores in my mouth that I thought were normal ulcers. It all lasted a week, but I still had the fatigue and my legs above my knees broke out with large red dots under the skin, but no itching. I went to several doctors who said it was vasculitis. I continued to have severe fatigue. I have Sjogren's syndrome which does cause fatigue, which I have had over 20 years, but this is more severe. In September 2014 I had another bout and fever went up to 103. I have had night sweats, shortness of breath and chest pain. My doctor sent me to an infectious disease doctor because I had been bitten by mosquitoes and she thought I had been bitten by a tick. After many blood tests, I was found to have Coxsackie B Type 4 virus. I still have severe fatigue and now have severe anemia that will have to be treated by my primary doctor. The virus has no treatment, has to run its course which normally is about 2 weeks. Doctor said I got it from mosquitoes but you can get it many ways I am learning, and it can cause damage to your heart. I have been fortunate not to have some of the severe symptoms some of you have.

Comment from: itwillwork, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 31

My son got Coxsackie virus infection a few weeks ago; probably from preschool. He had high fevers (103.3), the rash and bumps (although milder than expected according to the pictures in this article), and even the conjunctivitis. I kept him out of school for a week. He was back at school for 2 weeks and has picked it up again! I'm so mad about that. Now the blisters are all over (throat, feet... poor guy says it hurts to walk), and the fever hit 103.7! Immediately I got him in the bath to cool his body down. Anyway, doctor gave him amoxicillin for 10 days and I'm keeping him home until it's all cleared up. I'm going to ask his school to send a note home to the parents asking them to keep their kids home if there are symptoms, which indicate Coxsackie. Good luck for working families. I hate that he got this a second time!

Comment from: MichelleCP, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I was diagnosed with Coxsackie virus in early June and ended up going to the emergency room (ER) with what I thought was a kidney infection. I had intense back pain and stomach pain, fever of 103. The sore throat and blisters started the day after. I was back to work after 7 days and then my skin started to peel. Hands were first and now the feet are still peeling. Now, as another poster mentioned, my finger nails are starting to peel off as well (glad I'm not the only one).

Coxsackie Virus - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with Coxsackie virus.
Coxsackie Virus - Treatment Question: What treatment did you or your child receive for a Coxsackie virus infection?