Patient Comments: Coxsackievirus - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your coxsackievirus infection?

Comment from: Cat Lover, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I am a retired nurse. Tonight I was telling a fellow nurse friend about my flu like symptoms with a rash on my palms. She is an infectious disease nurse and told me that I probably have the Coxsackie virus. I will call my doctor tomorrow. My symptoms started with a stiff neck, headache, and sore throat. Then starting the next day, I ran a low grade fever (not over 100.5 degrees) for 2 days. My throat was so sore with red areas in the back of my throat, I could hardly swallow. I also had very achy joints. I talked to a nurse who works with my doctor and we decided that I must have a gastrointestinal (GI) virus. I had some mild GI symptoms and malaise. After two days, the fever stopped, but then I started having blisters on the palms of my hands and fingers. They start as small itchy slightly elevated red spots and then turn into blisters. I have had them for the last 2 days and they are continuing to appear. I have one blister on the bottom of one of my feet. My sore throat and achiness is gone as well as the fever. As a typical nurse, I am diagnosing myself, but will call my doctor tomorrow.

Comment from: williamj, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 12

My son's preschool had a Coxsackie virus outbreak of which he ended up getting a mild case. A week after my son's initial symptoms I developed a 101.5 fever, sore throat and generalized body aches. The following day the fever was down but I still had the sore throat and the dorsal and palmar aspect of my hands were extremely itchy but I had no visible rash. The next day I had developed sores around my hand, in my nose, ears and mouth. My palmar and dorsal aspects of my feet had developed a significant rash. It was very painful to extend my fingers and painful to walk on, almost as if I has small rocks in my shoes. Today I have a full body rash, some of which is indurated. I am currently afebrile, but that could be from the Motrin. My throat is still sore as if I swallowed glass and my finger tips are so sore it is painful to even type this. They feel as if my finger nails are under pressure and are going to pop off at any moment. The rash is intermittently itchy. I saw a doctor today, mainly for a work note. I've been living on Motrin 800 mg 3 times/day and Benadryl 50mg 4 times/day. The rash has showed no sign of subsiding, if anything it is worse. The doctor indicated it will have to run its course and to continue conservative treatment. I'm initiating acyclovir 400 mg 3 times/day in addition to Motrin and Benadryl. I realize that it might be too late to start the anti-viral medication but at this point I'm willing to try. This has been a very miserable experience.

Comment from: erich, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 23

With Coxsackie virus infection I had fever for 24 hours. Then onset of blisters on hands, front and back and some blisters on face, and in my case, none on feet. The blisters itch and seem to spread easily.

Comment from: nikki, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I came down with a very bad sore throat and high fever while traveling to Italy on my honeymoon. A couple of days after the fever broke, I came down with a red bumpy rash on my elbows and knees. A couple of days after that, I developed small painful blisters on my hands, feet, mouth. My hands are still swelled up (on day 6 today after blisters appeared). I feel extremely tired, feel like my hands are stiff (almost paralyzed) and feet and hands tingly and numb. The emergency room (ER) said they'd never seen an adult case of Coxsackie virus infection. ER put me on Valtrex and pain medications. My primary care doctor has never seen an adult case of it either. This is miserable.

Comment from: Squirrelgirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I contracted the Coxsackie virus about 6 weeks ago. I had a raging sore throat that was persistent 24 hours a day. Swallowing was torture. Once I started taking Advil regularly, that helped. But since Advil would last exactly 4 hours, I would wake in the middle of the night from the pain. I also developed conjunctivitis in both eyes, which dribbled day and night, and lasted a week (that infection was resolved with antibiotic eye drops). I also had fever on and off. In the 3 weeks since I recovered, I still get a sore throat from time to time. I can't be sure whether this is because the virus is still in me, or if this sore throat is unrelated, like from a regular cold or allergies.

Coxsackievirus - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with the coxsackievirus.
Coxsackievirus - Treatment Question: What treatment did you or your child receive for a coxsackievirus infection?