Patient Comments: Coxsackie Virus - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your Coxsackie virus infection?

Comment from: 19-24 Female Published: June 15

I got coxsackie virus last October supposedly from a nail salon. I had blisters covering my hands and feet and was told that all the skin would peel off and there was nothing I could take. Now, in June of the next year my skin is still peeling off- this is a terrible affliction and its effects have lasted well over 10 days. Ladies and gents- make sure those manicurists are using CLEAN tools!

Comment from: MamaK, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

My children, 11 and 13, and I all came down with fluid filled blisters on our hands and feet. My son has them in his mouth but my daughter has no sign of them there. We all have sore throats and this isn't the 1st time we have contracted coxsackievirus. We usually get this every summer and fall for the last 4 years.

Comment from: lparnell, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 23

My 15 month daughter was diagnosed with the coxsackievirus in the ER. She had experienced some of the symptoms gradually over the course of two weeks. The pink eye, diarrhea, and irritability from pain. There are small blisters in her throat (no eating) and her feet. She is usually very outgoing and busy but the fever of 102.8 did her in. The fevers stayed in the range of 100.1 to 102.8 for 2 days. We have alternated acetominophen suppositories and motrin every 4 hours to keep it from spiking. I also found another childs pacifier in her bag from the daycare. I wonder?

Comment from: massmom, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 11

My 6 year old daughter started with a temp 99.8 and a sore throat. She was pretty active that first day. Day 2 she had nausea, no vomiting and less of a sore throat but a fever or 101.9. Day 3 she woke with a fever of 103.9 and vomiting a clear fluid. I treated her for this with Motrin. Since she didn't eat very much, this affected her stomach with mild bleeding in the vomit. I contacted her pediatrician immediately and was told to bring her to the doctor's and to discontinue Motrin and switch to Tylenol. By the time I got her to the dr. she was weak and worn out, but not dehydrated. The dr. looked in her mouth and saw ulcers. She had the steph test which was negative. She was diagnosed with Coxsacie Virus. The dr. said it would be a continuous 7-10 days of fevers. The nausea and vomiting stopped by day 4. By day 5 she had a little more energy, but her fever caused the exhaustion, and her throat hurt. The fever has stayed in the 101.0 range and we continue the tylenol. Main thing we are doing is keeping her hydrated. I have a 9 yr old daughter who is exhibiting no symptoms at this time. My husband and I seem to be ok too. We plan on keeping her away from others until the fever is gone. Tough battle this virus.

Comment from: mom of twins 06, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

Was just diagnosed with Coxsackie A and B. Not sure how I obtained it. Started with the worst sore throat I ever had. Went to the doc thinking I had strep, but he said it was probably coxsackie. Blood work proved he was right. Throat is better, but I have a VERY hard time moving around. My body aches from my knees up to my head. All I want to do is lay down and sleep. He prescribed me valtrex to see if that can get me through so I can try work in a few days. I've never felt so awful and tired in my life.

Comment from: sciantel, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 20

I have had problems with coxzacky for years. I got it at age 8 but I have Lupus so I keep ignoring it. Stress seems to be a key factor but I had an old country doctor tell me once to get rid of this terrible virus, mix some mouthwash with salt water and some peroxide and gargle 3 times a day, especially at the back of the throat. Now when I get the severe attacks of this virus which consists of terrible mouth and throat sores, chest pain, fever, tired, I take Biotech silverbiotics and elderberry for 10 days. Silverbiotic I take 1 TBSP 3 times a day and elderberry I take 800 mg, (2 pills), 3 times a day. It has really helped me! I now have hope.

Comment from: BROH, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 21

I contracted the virus at the age of 40 playing rugby on a pitch littered with goose droppings. I received a kick to the shin to which I didn't think twice about. When three or so months later, I started experiencing ulcerations in my mouth and little red dots on the palms of my hands and on my finger tips as well as my toes. I could hardly eat anything. Then I started getting this red spot on my left shin where I was originally kicked. The spot would itch and the skin would flake off the spot on my shin. Once scratched open, the spot would ooze. Now I am experiencing the same thing on my right shin.

Coxsackie Virus - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with Coxsackie virus.
Coxsackie Virus - Treatment Question: What treatment did you or your child receive for a Coxsackie virus infection?