Patient Comments: Coxsackie Virus - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your Coxsackie virus infection?

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I am 64, and cannot believe this infection got to me. It started with, chills, no fever (97), very bad stomach pain, itchy palms and at times itchy feet, bumps on the pallet, then 2 days later, bumps moved to back of throat. Really painful when swallowing. This is going on for 7 days, and the bumps subsided, but my hands are still itchy.

Comment from: cured, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

Started with strep like sore throat for month then neck pain, tired, fatigue, low grade temp, and achy arms, then came the red dots in cheeks! Was given antibiotic and steroids initially which made it worse, believe steroids weakened immune system. Finally after red dots arrived, was given anti-viral 800 mg 5x a day 7 days...all better! What a nasty virus to have! Lasted months but was under major stress!!! Glad to feel well again don't want it back ever!

Comment from: shalon, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I am located in Louisiana and I am experiencing the same torment with this disease. I am 31 years old and I have it. My six month old had it first (FROM A DAYCARE), then my two year old had a fever for two days, bought fought it off, and I am in day four and my palms and soles feel burnt and look disfigured. This is miserable and I am thoroughly convinced to never used a daycare again.

Comment from: kelly, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 08

My daughter is 20 months old and was diagnosed with coxsackie 12 days ago. She started with an upset stomach and mild vomiting that then changed into a 103.5 fever. The fever didn't break until day 6 and has been going away and spiking back up out of nowhere almost every afternoon. She is sooo lethargic and doesn't want to play or do anything. This virus is a horrible waiting game.

Comment from: Ashley Ann, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 19

I was at work when my daycare called telling me my son (2 years ) has a temp of 107.2 and is vomiting. I ran him to the er and that's when they said he had strep throat (not the case) so we brought him home. Next two days he had a temp of 101-102, still vomiting and crying he had boo boos in his mouth. The night of the 2nd day I took a flash light and looked in his mouth and saw the white puss looking blister everywhere. Brought him to the doc the next morning and that's when they said it was coxsackie. He doesn't want to eat anything just drink his pink milk. Cool anything now is all he wants.

Comment from: Dora, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

Well it wasn't me that has it. It is my 18 month old Grandson. He experienced sore Throat, Fever and Blsters in mouth, could not swallow anything so therefore he had to have an IV put in to put fluids back in him as of for now my daughter and son-in-law are still at the Hosipital. But thank you for all the info on HFMD and Coxsackie virus.

Comment from: Tired&Concerned, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 22

My 6 year old had coxsackievirus and started with a headache and fever that shot up at night to 102.9 while on Tylenol. Had to overlap with Motrin. Threw up and had stomache pain next day. By day 3 fever started to break. Day 4 fever is gone but such a painful sore throat exists now that she is more miserable than ever. Coaxing her to keep drinking and eating is a tough sell.

Comment from: 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 15

My 3 year old daughter was classified wtih the coxsackie virus in the er yesterday but he didn't tell me it could get as bad as everyone else is saying it gets. She has ulcers all in her mouth and today they all popped and started bleeding. Her mouth hurts her so bad that she crys. This is on day three of it so it is so crazy.

Coxsackie Virus - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with Coxsackie virus.
Coxsackie Virus - Treatment Question: What treatment did you or your child receive for a Coxsackie virus infection?