Patient Comments: Coxsackie Virus - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your Coxsackie virus infection?

Comment from: kelly, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 08

My daughter is 20 months old and was diagnosed with coxsackie 12 days ago. She started with an upset stomach and mild vomiting that then changed into a 103.5 fever. The fever didn't break until day 6 and has been going away and spiking back up out of nowhere almost every afternoon. She is sooo lethargic and doesn't want to play or do anything. This virus is a horrible waiting game.

Comment from: Ashley Ann, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 19

I was at work when my daycare called telling me my son (2 years ) has a temp of 107.2 and is vomiting. I ran him to the er and that's when they said he had strep throat (not the case) so we brought him home. Next two days he had a temp of 101-102, still vomiting and crying he had boo boos in his mouth. The night of the 2nd day I took a flash light and looked in his mouth and saw the white puss looking blister everywhere. Brought him to the doc the next morning and that's when they said it was coxsackie. He doesn't want to eat anything just drink his pink milk. Cool anything now is all he wants.

Comment from: Dora, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

Well it wasn't me that has it. It is my 18 month old Grandson. He experienced sore Throat, Fever and Blsters in mouth, could not swallow anything so therefore he had to have an IV put in to put fluids back in him as of for now my daughter and son-in-law are still at the Hosipital. But thank you for all the info on HFMD and Coxsackie virus.

Comment from: Tired&Concerned, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 22

My 6 year old had coxsackievirus and started with a headache and fever that shot up at night to 102.9 while on Tylenol. Had to overlap with Motrin. Threw up and had stomache pain next day. By day 3 fever started to break. Day 4 fever is gone but such a painful sore throat exists now that she is more miserable than ever. Coaxing her to keep drinking and eating is a tough sell.

Comment from: 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 15

My 3 year old daughter was classified wtih the coxsackie virus in the er yesterday but he didn't tell me it could get as bad as everyone else is saying it gets. She has ulcers all in her mouth and today they all popped and started bleeding. Her mouth hurts her so bad that she crys. This is on day three of it so it is so crazy.

Comment from: 19-24 Female Published: June 15

I got coxsackie virus last October supposedly from a nail salon. I had blisters covering my hands and feet and was told that all the skin would peel off and there was nothing I could take. Now, in June of the next year my skin is still peeling off- this is a terrible affliction and its effects have lasted well over 10 days. Ladies and gents- make sure those manicurists are using CLEAN tools!

Comment from: MamaK, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

My children, 11 and 13, and I all came down with fluid filled blisters on our hands and feet. My son has them in his mouth but my daughter has no sign of them there. We all have sore throats and this isn't the 1st time we have contracted coxsackievirus. We usually get this every summer and fall for the last 4 years.

Comment from: lparnell, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 23

My 15 month daughter was diagnosed with the coxsackievirus in the ER. She had experienced some of the symptoms gradually over the course of two weeks. The pink eye, diarrhea, and irritability from pain. There are small blisters in her throat (no eating) and her feet. She is usually very outgoing and busy but the fever of 102.8 did her in. The fevers stayed in the range of 100.1 to 102.8 for 2 days. We have alternated acetominophen suppositories and motrin every 4 hours to keep it from spiking. I also found another childs pacifier in her bag from the daycare. I wonder?

Coxsackie Virus - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with Coxsackie virus.
Coxsackie Virus - Treatment Question: What treatment did you or your child receive for a Coxsackie virus infection?