Patient Comments: Coxsackie Virus - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your Coxsackie virus infection?

Comment from: Suzy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I woke up with a sore throat on Sunday, but it wasn't that bad. I had a few sores on the inside of my lips and cheeks but thought that my adult braces caused it. I ran a low grade fever on and off and by Tuesday I had a horrific migraine with neck pain, abdominal pain, unbelievable joint pain, and a constant delirium and fog. The whole thing lasted 10 days and looking back on it I realized that my palms itched the entire time. If this ever happens again I will seek a doctor sooner.

Comment from: TLC, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 17

My husband got Coxsackie b virus about 4 months ago. His symptoms have been: Fevers: 100-103, Chills, Night sweats, Severe joint pain, Fatigue that doesn't go away, Swelling of ankles and hands, Tiny red dots/ rash on his back and ankles, Swollen lymph nodes on neck, 2 months later swollen lymph node on left collarbone. He was found to be at risk for lupus and his Ana came back positive and then it came out negative. Doctors performed biopsy and preliminary results say 35% t-cells are abnormal. Either due to virus or lymphoma. They are focusing on lymphoma it seems because they keep insisting that the virus should have resolved itself within 1-2 weeks. I wish they would read online of the people I have found that are suffering more severe same symptoms. So they are checking to see if abnormal cells are due to virus infection relapse or lymphoma. Meanwhile the only medicines he is on are pain pills!! I have done my own research and studies have shown that people with post viral relapse are deficient in Selenium and so far research shows that mice fed with Selenium diets fight off the virus much quicker and some people are on Selenium now and showing improvement. Also some patients with severe symptoms being treated with: pleconaril.

Published: July 30

One week, we were told a baby in our baby's classroom had coxsackie. On that Friday we had a party. Over the weekend, our baby had a fever and then started showing blisters. That Tuesday, our adult friend posted on Facebook that he had a high fever and a sore throat. That Saturday, I came down with a really high fever and Sunday had a sore throat. I don't think coxsackie is as rare in adults. I should have been more careful with our baby.

Comment from: Mari, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 30

My 4 year old son started with a fever around 11 pm one night. He was shivering and his fever was at 102 degrees F. The next day, he had an on and off fever but actually looked fine; playing around and just being a kid. The next night is when I noticed the red bumps on the soles of his feet...then his hands. He kept saying that his 'frog in his throat' was hurting. So we took him to the doctor and she said he had Coxsackie virus. After being told that adults can get this too with headaches, sore throats, and body aches, I realized that this must be the reason why my husband had a sore throat for a few days before my son got sick. This also explains why I've had a major headache that just won't go away. Now my son is getting better but I'm feeling lethargic. I could literally go to bed and sleep the entire day. I have flu-like symptoms and a headache that won't subside. I hope this helps anyone with questions.

Comment from: Carol, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I am a 52 year old female whose coxsackievirus infection started with sore throat, malaise, sore muscles, heaviness in chest, cough, ending in acute bronchitis. Lasting four weeks! Still don't have my strength back.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 19

My son got a coxsackievirus infection last year (2 years old) and it left him with some nasty blisters on his hands and feet, but especially his mouth. He couldn't eat, talk, or suck his thumb. He was so miserable and I prayed we'd never experience it again. Well here we are nine months later and he got it again. It started out with a sudden fever and nausea, along with a sore throat for about a full 24 hours before I noticed the blisters on his hands and feet. The doctor diagnosed coxsackie virus. The blisters on his feet are so bad that the entire top of his feet are just one big scab oozing and crusting. He's got it so bad on his hands, feet, arms and legs. Luckily his throat didn't get it too bad this time. My daughter (20 months) also has it. Her symptoms aren't as severe, she mainly only has blisters on her hands, mouth and bum, but she has had worse fevers than her brother. My husband and I weren't worried about catching it since it is primarily found in children, but we both have it now too. I don't know if the children are just better at shrugging it off when they are sick, or if we are just bigger wussies as adults, or if the disease hits adults harder, but I cannot remember a time in my life when I have felt so tired and terrible all at the same time. This is a bad one. Wash your hands and keep the kids isolated.

Coxsackie Virus - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with Coxsackie virus.
Coxsackie Virus - Treatment Question: What treatment did you or your child receive for a Coxsackie virus infection?