Patient Comments: Coxsackie Virus - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your Coxsackie virus infection?

Comment from: N61mom, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 05

My son's girlfriend got very ill and became unable to move. She started with headache, vomiting, body aches and got so bad she went to Emergency Room and was admitted. They couldn't find anything for two weeks until the neurologist performed Coxsackie virus blood work. She tested for 2 strains. She's rehabbing with physical therapy to regain strength. She had 30% loss of balance in one ear. She had to rely on wheelchair for weeks.

Comment from: Suzy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

My symptoms consisted of the red blisters on the back of my throat, and the back and sides of my tongue. It felt like there was something stuck in my throat usually worse after I drank anything warm i.e. coffee. It was a couple days after I noticed the bumps that my throat actually started to hurt and get red. I had some headaches and was really tired and weak I seemed short of breath and tight in the chest for the last couple days of it. It lasted about 10 days after that the bumps were a lot smaller and didn't bother me. I also regained my energy.

Comment from: Danz, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: July 30

I apparently had Coxsackie for 12 years. Until I was 14. A rare form that has probably infected around a million people, however mine was worse because of the way in which it reacted with my body. As a little kid it was horrible but now I don't have it any more. Don't get me wrong I will always at least a single small virus in my body but that's about it. I never had a normal childhood as I was always sick, pale and very weak with very sore muscles at times. Whenever I went through one of my very sick episodes I used to have a rough time at school especially since my lips would go blood red and as a boy the girls used to tease me about wearing lipstick. I could never run and sometimes I wouldn't be able to move and for a child who does not know what is happening to him that can be a very scary thing. Some of you should be grateful that you only have the milder side effects and that you at least have an idea of what is happening to you. As I didn't.

Comment from: Dee, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I am 41 years old, and woke up with I thought canker sores all throughout my mouth, not to mention my entire mouth and neck were swollen. I went to my doctor and she said I have coxsackie virus. I am very fatigued, as I slept all day and now feeling like I have the flu. I started a mouth wash which is relieving some of my pain throughout my mouth.

Comment from: Mnbv, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 16

I am a 46 year old male. I contracted coxsackie from a 15 month old. It started out with sore throat, then 6 hours later a splitting headache, followed by high fever, chills. 24 hours later, blisters on hands and feet. Very sore throat, could not eat. Two nights of cold sweats. Days 3 and 4 hands and feet worse, little swollen, hard to grip, and walk. Day 5 my throat was better, eating better. Hands and feet still have red spots, not much improvement.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I am 64, and cannot believe this infection got to me. It started with, chills, no fever (97), very bad stomach pain, itchy palms and at times itchy feet, bumps on the pallet, then 2 days later, bumps moved to back of throat. Really painful when swallowing. This is going on for 7 days, and the bumps subsided, but my hands are still itchy.

Comment from: cured, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

Started with strep like sore throat for month then neck pain, tired, fatigue, low grade temp, and achy arms, then came the red dots in cheeks! Was given antibiotic and steroids initially which made it worse, believe steroids weakened immune system. Finally after red dots arrived, was given anti-viral 800 mg 5x a day 7 days...all better! What a nasty virus to have! Lasted months but was under major stress!!! Glad to feel well again don't want it back ever!

Comment from: shalon, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I am located in Louisiana and I am experiencing the same torment with this disease. I am 31 years old and I have it. My six month old had it first (FROM A DAYCARE), then my two year old had a fever for two days, bought fought it off, and I am in day four and my palms and soles feel burnt and look disfigured. This is miserable and I am thoroughly convinced to never used a daycare again.

Coxsackie Virus - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with Coxsackie virus.
Coxsackie Virus - Treatment Question: What treatment did you or your child receive for a Coxsackie virus infection?