Patient Comments: Coxsackie Virus - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your Coxsackie virus infection?

Comment from: slurp81, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

I'm 30 and have just been diagnosed as having HFMD (Coxsackie 16). My 10 month old was hot for a few days this week and off his food; we thought it was a severe cold as my husband and I were also full of cold. I then had a sore throat two days ago which by yesterday was horrific and I had red lumps on the roof of my mouth and throat. We thought it might be strep until I woke today to find small red blisters all over my palms and the soles of my feet. It's likely that it's going round nursery and whereas children can sometimes fight it off with just a sore throat and temperature, adults can suffer severely.

Comment from: Crystal25, 25-34 Female Published: July 19

My 7 1/2 month old started with a fever 102.6, at first I thought it was from teething because well she's teething and she would latch on then off and continue doing that until satisfied, on the third day of 102.6 fever I took her to the pediatrician, which was when the tiny blisters were found in her mouth. By day 4 the fever finally broke, no blisters on her hands or feet but she developed a heat rash all over her body. When the fever broke she started having diarrhea, and now she hardly wants to nurse, however she will drink cold water from a cup and eat baby food, but she's not sleeping well at all at night, she was up at least every hour last night and we're only on day six.

Comment from: tanya, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 15

My son died at the age of 26 from this virus he got from his 2 year old daughter. It infected his heart.

Comment from: frustrated mom, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 08

My son is 12 1/2 years old and when he was 1-1/2 the doc said he had Coxsackie virus. I only remember a sore on his chin and every year he has an outbreak in the same spot.

Comment from: TexasGrandma, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 02

The child had blisters on his feet, hands and sores around the outside of the mouth and rash in the throat. He screamed from the pain in his mouth and would not eat or drink and said everything he ate felt hot and burned.

Comment from: nanna E, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I became ill with what I thought was the flu in March of 2013. I had general achiness, a fever, a hacking cough from congestion. I ran a fever for only one day, but felt weak and run down. This went on for about four weeks before my breathing finally got so bad I couldn't sleep, even sitting straight up. I went to the ER, and after days of tests, was found to have Coxsackie B and my heart was damaged. I also had pneumonia. My heart was only pumping at 10%. I was hospitalized for five days, had many tests, and was told I have congestive heart failure, which may be permanent. I'm still recovering and doing more tests. Coxsackie is a monster virus.

Comment from: kriton52, 55-64 (Patient) Published: November 30

The first symptoms are like the flu with a sore throat, upper respiratory congestion, and coughing up thick material from the upper lungs. Also had and average fever, sore muscles, and lots of sleeping. I kept thinking I should eat but when I got food I couldn't really eat it. I drank lots of water. Finally, I started to develop blisters on the bottoms of my feet which in the course of two days became unbearable. I could not stand on these festering blisters even though I am a mere 168 lbs. When I went to the E.R. they discovered it on my fingers too.

Comment from: MominSanDiego, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I'm a 41 year old female with a 2.5 year old. He had coxsackie when he was 1 year old. I recognized the symptoms but I just came down with it last week. It started with flu-like symptoms, a low grade fever for 1.5 days and full body aches and then the mouth blisters appeared. They coated my throat, inside my lips and under my tongue and I was unable to eat anything except for ice water, milk shakes and undercooked scrambled eggs for 6 days. Even chicken broth hurt to eat. Listerine and gargling was too painful. Ibuprophen and Tylenol helped a little. It was so painful. I also had a headache 24/7. I am finally able to eat real (but mild) food today, Day 8. No blisters any where else thank goodness!

Coxsackie Virus - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with Coxsackie virus.
Coxsackie Virus - Treatment Question: What treatment did you or your child receive for a Coxsackie virus infection?