Patient Comments: Coxsackie Virus - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your Coxsackie virus infection?

Comment from: Carol, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I am a 52 year old female whose coxsackievirus infection started with sore throat, malaise, sore muscles, heaviness in chest, cough, ending in acute bronchitis. Lasting four weeks! Still don't have my strength back.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 19

My son got a coxsackievirus infection last year (2 years old) and it left him with some nasty blisters on his hands and feet, but especially his mouth. He couldn't eat, talk, or suck his thumb. He was so miserable and I prayed we'd never experience it again. Well here we are nine months later and he got it again. It started out with a sudden fever and nausea, along with a sore throat for about a full 24 hours before I noticed the blisters on his hands and feet. The doctor diagnosed coxsackie virus. The blisters on his feet are so bad that the entire top of his feet are just one big scab oozing and crusting. He's got it so bad on his hands, feet, arms and legs. Luckily his throat didn't get it too bad this time. My daughter (20 months) also has it. Her symptoms aren't as severe, she mainly only has blisters on her hands, mouth and bum, but she has had worse fevers than her brother. My husband and I weren't worried about catching it since it is primarily found in children, but we both have it now too. I don't know if the children are just better at shrugging it off when they are sick, or if we are just bigger wussies as adults, or if the disease hits adults harder, but I cannot remember a time in my life when I have felt so tired and terrible all at the same time. This is a bad one. Wash your hands and keep the kids isolated.

Comment from: 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 03

My 14 year old son was diagnosed with Coxsackie Virus A last week. Today is the eighth day and he is just now feeling better. He has had symptoms of severe fatigue, blisters in his throat, chills, headache, vomiting, and loss of appetite. Mono and strep tests were negative. I have not seen him this sick in a long time and it took forever to get over it. Sleep, Tylenol and Slurpee's helped him the most.

Comment from: martystewart, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 24

Our son has Coxsackie Virsus and he is experiencing 105 temperatures. The doctors say that most kids would be admitted to the hospital. He is fighting it, but this is so scary of a virus that we pray that it is over soon and he makes it out ok. There are alot of side affects that makes anyone worry. We have been to the doctor and emergency room during the 5 days so far. Three to four days of 105 is like hitting me in the head with a skillet. I am still worried that my 2 year old twins will end up with it. My wife had a temperature this morning. I pray that it leaves our area soon.

Comment from: Rosie, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 18

Initially, I experienced malaise, a low-grade fever, and a thick feeling in my throat with my coxsackievirus infection. It progressed to painful sore areas in my mouth and throat that lasted three to four days. I also had itchy palms.

Comment from: N61mom, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 05

My son's girlfriend got very ill and became unable to move. She started with headache, vomiting, body aches and got so bad she went to Emergency Room and was admitted. They couldn't find anything for two weeks until the neurologist performed Coxsackie virus blood work. She tested for 2 strains. She's rehabbing with physical therapy to regain strength. She had 30% loss of balance in one ear. She had to rely on wheelchair for weeks.

Comment from: Suzy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

My symptoms consisted of the red blisters on the back of my throat, and the back and sides of my tongue. It felt like there was something stuck in my throat usually worse after I drank anything warm i.e. coffee. It was a couple days after I noticed the bumps that my throat actually started to hurt and get red. I had some headaches and was really tired and weak I seemed short of breath and tight in the chest for the last couple days of it. It lasted about 10 days after that the bumps were a lot smaller and didn't bother me. I also regained my energy.

Comment from: Danz, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: July 30

I apparently had Coxsackie for 12 years. Until I was 14. A rare form that has probably infected around a million people, however mine was worse because of the way in which it reacted with my body. As a little kid it was horrible but now I don't have it any more. Don't get me wrong I will always at least a single small virus in my body but that's about it. I never had a normal childhood as I was always sick, pale and very weak with very sore muscles at times. Whenever I went through one of my very sick episodes I used to have a rough time at school especially since my lips would go blood red and as a boy the girls used to tease me about wearing lipstick. I could never run and sometimes I wouldn't be able to move and for a child who does not know what is happening to him that can be a very scary thing. Some of you should be grateful that you only have the milder side effects and that you at least have an idea of what is happening to you. As I didn't.

Coxsackie Virus - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with Coxsackie virus.
Coxsackie Virus - Treatment Question: What forms of treatment, including medication, did you use to help relieve the symptoms of Coxsackie virus?