Patient Comments: Coxsackie Virus - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your Coxsackie virus infection?

Published: July 30

One week, we were told a baby in our baby's classroom had coxsackie. On that Friday we had a party. Over the weekend, our baby had a fever and then started showing blisters. That Tuesday, our adult friend posted on Facebook that he had a high fever and a sore throat. That Saturday, I came down with a really high fever and Sunday had a sore throat. I don't think coxsackie is as rare in adults. I should have been more careful with our baby.

Comment from: Mari, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 30

My 4 year old son started with a fever around 11 pm one night. He was shivering and his fever was at 102 degrees F. The next day, he had an on and off fever but actually looked fine; playing around and just being a kid. The next night is when I noticed the red bumps on the soles of his feet...then his hands. He kept saying that his 'frog in his throat' was hurting. So we took him to the doctor and she said he had Coxsackie virus. After being told that adults can get this too with headaches, sore throats, and body aches, I realized that this must be the reason why my husband had a sore throat for a few days before my son got sick. This also explains why I've had a major headache that just won't go away. Now my son is getting better but I'm feeling lethargic. I could literally go to bed and sleep the entire day. I have flu-like symptoms and a headache that won't subside. I hope this helps anyone with questions.

Comment from: Carol, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I am a 52 year old female whose coxsackievirus infection started with sore throat, malaise, sore muscles, heaviness in chest, cough, ending in acute bronchitis. Lasting four weeks! Still don't have my strength back.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 19

My son got a coxsackievirus infection last year (2 years old) and it left him with some nasty blisters on his hands and feet, but especially his mouth. He couldn't eat, talk, or suck his thumb. He was so miserable and I prayed we'd never experience it again. Well here we are nine months later and he got it again. It started out with a sudden fever and nausea, along with a sore throat for about a full 24 hours before I noticed the blisters on his hands and feet. The doctor diagnosed coxsackie virus. The blisters on his feet are so bad that the entire top of his feet are just one big scab oozing and crusting. He's got it so bad on his hands, feet, arms and legs. Luckily his throat didn't get it too bad this time. My daughter (20 months) also has it. Her symptoms aren't as severe, she mainly only has blisters on her hands, mouth and bum, but she has had worse fevers than her brother. My husband and I weren't worried about catching it since it is primarily found in children, but we both have it now too. I don't know if the children are just better at shrugging it off when they are sick, or if we are just bigger wussies as adults, or if the disease hits adults harder, but I cannot remember a time in my life when I have felt so tired and terrible all at the same time. This is a bad one. Wash your hands and keep the kids isolated.

Comment from: 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 03

My 14 year old son was diagnosed with Coxsackie Virus A last week. Today is the eighth day and he is just now feeling better. He has had symptoms of severe fatigue, blisters in his throat, chills, headache, vomiting, and loss of appetite. Mono and strep tests were negative. I have not seen him this sick in a long time and it took forever to get over it. Sleep, Tylenol and Slurpee's helped him the most.

Comment from: martystewart, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 24

Our son has Coxsackie Virsus and he is experiencing 105 temperatures. The doctors say that most kids would be admitted to the hospital. He is fighting it, but this is so scary of a virus that we pray that it is over soon and he makes it out ok. There are alot of side affects that makes anyone worry. We have been to the doctor and emergency room during the 5 days so far. Three to four days of 105 is like hitting me in the head with a skillet. I am still worried that my 2 year old twins will end up with it. My wife had a temperature this morning. I pray that it leaves our area soon.

Comment from: Rosie, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 18

Initially, I experienced malaise, a low-grade fever, and a thick feeling in my throat with my coxsackievirus infection. It progressed to painful sore areas in my mouth and throat that lasted three to four days. I also had itchy palms.

Coxsackie Virus - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with Coxsackie virus.
Coxsackie Virus - Treatment Question: What treatment did you or your child receive for a Coxsackie virus infection?