Patient Comments: Coxsackie Virus - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your Coxsackie virus infection?

Comment from: kriton52, 55-64 (Patient) Published: November 30

The first symptoms are like the flu with a sore throat, upper respiratory congestion, and coughing up thick material from the upper lungs. Also had and average fever, sore muscles, and lots of sleeping. I kept thinking I should eat but when I got food I couldn't really eat it. I drank lots of water. Finally, I started to develop blisters on the bottoms of my feet which in the course of two days became unbearable. I could not stand on these festering blisters even though I am a mere 168 lbs. When I went to the E.R. they discovered it on my fingers too.

Comment from: MominSanDiego, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I'm a 41 year old female with a 2.5 year old. He had coxsackie when he was 1 year old. I recognized the symptoms but I just came down with it last week. It started with flu-like symptoms, a low grade fever for 1.5 days and full body aches and then the mouth blisters appeared. They coated my throat, inside my lips and under my tongue and I was unable to eat anything except for ice water, milk shakes and undercooked scrambled eggs for 6 days. Even chicken broth hurt to eat. Listerine and gargling was too painful. Ibuprophen and Tylenol helped a little. It was so painful. I also had a headache 24/7. I am finally able to eat real (but mild) food today, Day 8. No blisters any where else thank goodness!

Comment from: Suzy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I woke up with a sore throat on Sunday, but it wasn't that bad. I had a few sores on the inside of my lips and cheeks but thought that my adult braces caused it. I ran a low grade fever on and off and by Tuesday I had a horrific migraine with neck pain, abdominal pain, unbelievable joint pain, and a constant delirium and fog. The whole thing lasted 10 days and looking back on it I realized that my palms itched the entire time. If this ever happens again I will seek a doctor sooner.

Comment from: TLC, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 17

My husband got Coxsackie b virus about 4 months ago. His symptoms have been: Fevers: 100-103, Chills, Night sweats, Severe joint pain, Fatigue that doesn't go away, Swelling of ankles and hands, Tiny red dots/ rash on his back and ankles, Swollen lymph nodes on neck, 2 months later swollen lymph node on left collarbone. He was found to be at risk for lupus and his Ana came back positive and then it came out negative. Doctors performed biopsy and preliminary results say 35% t-cells are abnormal. Either due to virus or lymphoma. They are focusing on lymphoma it seems because they keep insisting that the virus should have resolved itself within 1-2 weeks. I wish they would read online of the people I have found that are suffering more severe same symptoms. So they are checking to see if abnormal cells are due to virus infection relapse or lymphoma. Meanwhile the only medicines he is on are pain pills!! I have done my own research and studies have shown that people with post viral relapse are deficient in Selenium and so far research shows that mice fed with Selenium diets fight off the virus much quicker and some people are on Selenium now and showing improvement. Also some patients with severe symptoms being treated with: pleconaril.

Published: July 30

One week, we were told a baby in our baby's classroom had coxsackie. On that Friday we had a party. Over the weekend, our baby had a fever and then started showing blisters. That Tuesday, our adult friend posted on Facebook that he had a high fever and a sore throat. That Saturday, I came down with a really high fever and Sunday had a sore throat. I don't think coxsackie is as rare in adults. I should have been more careful with our baby.

Comment from: Mari, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 30

My 4 year old son started with a fever around 11 pm one night. He was shivering and his fever was at 102 degrees F. The next day, he had an on and off fever but actually looked fine; playing around and just being a kid. The next night is when I noticed the red bumps on the soles of his feet...then his hands. He kept saying that his 'frog in his throat' was hurting. So we took him to the doctor and she said he had Coxsackie virus. After being told that adults can get this too with headaches, sore throats, and body aches, I realized that this must be the reason why my husband had a sore throat for a few days before my son got sick. This also explains why I've had a major headache that just won't go away. Now my son is getting better but I'm feeling lethargic. I could literally go to bed and sleep the entire day. I have flu-like symptoms and a headache that won't subside. I hope this helps anyone with questions.

Coxsackie Virus - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with Coxsackie virus.
Coxsackie Virus - Treatment Question: What forms of treatment, including medication, did you use to help relieve the symptoms of Coxsackie virus?