Patient Comments: Coxsackievirus - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your coxsackievirus infection?

Comment from: mcbarb, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I just turned 65. I became short of breath one day, the next day ended up hospitalized with fevers to 103.5F. I am currently being treated with Remicade monthly infusions for severe rheumatoid arthritis. I had the infusion the previous week. About 3 weeks before onset of symptoms I had had a routine colonoscopy and upper endoscopy. I had diagnosis of inflammatory bowel disorder and GERD. I officially tested positive for Coxsackie B4 virus after perhaps a month of hospitalization and illness. I was treated in the hospital from just before Thanksgiving 2012 to January 21, 2013. Twice I was septic and received very strong IV antibiotics. I developed severe yeast infection of my bottom, cold sores from nose to lips, and a virulent strain of C Difficile. I lost 34 pounds. I was operated on to cut window into pericardium to alleviate fluid buildup in pericardium, and chest tubes for severe chest fluid buildup. I continued to run fevers from Nov 20th 2012 to Mar. 2012. Recovery and reconditioning has been ongoing.

Comment from: FatherInTheUK, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 07

My baby daughter was born healthy in hospital and we were sent home without any cause for concern. On her second night she ran a fever of 39.5 degree C and was very sleepy. We took her to the hospital as it was the middle of the night and she was seen by a general physician who admitted her to the children's ward. She was given many blood tests, spinal cord fluid tested for the next 5 days and the day she turned 7 days old she stopped feeding, and in the night began to have fits which my wife brought to the nurse's attention and she was seen by 2 doctors. Both the nurses and doctors dismissed the fits as hiccups. A different nurse recognized the fits in the morning and she was given drugs to stop the actual seizure and more drugs to stop further fits but these drugs made her sleepy. She had a CT scan later that day with a clear result. She was not seen by a doctor for another 9 hours only nurses and in this time her circulation became poor (as noted by the fact the nurses were unable to take her temperature or get a got heart rate from a monitor). This was passed off as being due to old equipment and sadly no doctor was informed of these signs. Later that evening on doctor's rounds she was given large amounts of saline (180ml) as a resuscitation method which caused her heart to stop and a resuscitation team was called in and full resuscitation was started for but after an hour our baby girl was pronounced dead, and we were distraught. But we just want parents to know about this awful virus which we are told is fatal to 50% of newborns who contract it. The sub type was Coxsackie virus B2.

Comment from: KareyMeAway, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I'm a 19-year-old female. My doctor diagnosed me with the Coxsackie virus; it's the worst thing ever. I'm in college and I am close to missing about a week. I have ulcers in my mouth, on my tongue, and on my gums that happen to be swollen. I feel horrible, my fever is at 103 degrees, I get cold and chills, and my headache is really bad. This virus in general is painful. My glands and tonsils are swollen.

Comment from: ngrin, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 02

I am looking for help and/or learning about other's experiences as my own with Coxsackie B Virus. I've had issues with fatigue the past few years and learned I had adrenal fatigue and hypothyroidism. Although, the adrenal fatigue is gone, I'm still struggling with fatigue even though I take thyroid medication. My thyroid tests seem to be fine; however, I found out in July I had all six strains of the Coxsackie B virus. I've had issues with my WBC (white blood cell) count in the past so I wasn't surprised I contracted this virus. However, it's been three months and I am still showing positive for all six strains. At this point, my only symptom is fatigue. I'm very concerned that I've had this virus too long and don't know to do next. I am considering going to an infectious disease doctor and need other opinions.

Comment from: elvis, Male (Patient) Published: February 20

I was paralyzed by Coxsackie virus infection when I was 16. I am 21 now and I'm still affected by Coxsackie virus, it is a horrible thing. I have heart problems and I'm scared it is from this virus.

Coxsackievirus - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with the coxsackievirus.
Coxsackievirus - Treatment Question: What treatment did you or your child receive for a coxsackievirus infection?