Patient Comments: Coxsackie Virus - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your Coxsackie virus infection?

Comment from: usmccaul, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 01

I am a 45 year old man, no children, started with sore abdominal muscles, tingling on abs skin, got very tired over the next 2 days, extreme frontal headaches, loss of appetite, 3rd day started to have breathing problems, went to the hospital, they dismissed me, 2 days later I sat up all night as I could not breath if I lied down, went to the hospital at 5:30 am, they put me on morphine right away, was on that for 2 days, while in the hospital at night I had the night sweats, they had to change my bedding 4-5 times a night, fever went up and down all day from 99-103, I would sleep for an hour then wake up soaking in sweat, my immune system would go into overdrive, inflammation around the heart and lungs. 4 days in the hospital, following week, had night sweats, swollen glands in throat and behind ears, following week, developed rash across the back, they diagnosed pericarditis-pleuritis, 4 weeks now and still have ear aches, and light headed when standing from kneeling. They told me today the blood work came back and confirmed coxsackie b.

Comment from: amypetraglia, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 16

In January my 2 year old had coxsakie. She had a severe case where it was literally everywhere. She got dehydrated and was hospitalized and had IV fluids. It took many weeks for the blisters to heal. Ever since then she's been running fevers ranging from low grade fever of 99.6 to higher fever of 101.1. Then in March her fingernails peeled off. Still running fevers. Now it's May 15th and her toenails are peeling off. She still runs these fevers and her reactive lymphocytes are 62. We are going to infectious disease doctors on Thursday but I'm so worried that something is very wrong with her. She barely eats and sleeps. All she does is drink.

Comment from: Jbento2, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 14

It first started out with body aches, fever 101.9 and chills. I thought I had the flu went home to sleep it off. Woke up the next day with a sore throat plus exudate on my tonsils, my mouth was sore, my fingers were swollen and fingertips were sore. Had negative rapid strep thought viral pharyngitis. Woke up next day to several canker sores inside my mouth and small red spots on my fingertips. Very painful in my mouth. After 2 days mouth was getting better but then I started getting red spots all over arms and legs. Virus still running its course so interested in what symptoms I will have next. I am assuming I got this from my 4 month year old daughter who had a fever earlier in the week who is in daycare.

Comment from: Chimney, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I had a horrible fever, chills, muscle aches, a cough, and loss of appetite. It started to hurt trying to swallow and I went to the doctors to find out I had these really gross looking throat ulcers. I was so afraid I had herpes because they look really similar, and if it was my primary outbreak, it would make sense why I felt so sick. I'd much rather have the hand, foot, mouth disease, which is what I think I have going on. There are even a couple tiny bumps on my left hand today. My wisdom tooth is infected, so eating is next to impossible. I also have the runs now it is such a mess, I can't wait for this ride to be over. Stay hydrated everyone! I'm using this stuff called Magic Swish and it's helping soothe my throat ulcers a lot.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

My main symptom was a deep, hacking/barking cough - the strongest I have ever had, lasting for >4 weeks. I coughed so hard the doctor thinks I injured the connective tissue between my ribs. Ended up with asthmatic bronchitis including wheezing, chest pain on one side, and shortness of breath. Also a low grade fever, sore throat, malaise, chills, and body aches - these symptoms were fairly short-lived (only a few days) but the cough/chest pain has been unbearable.

Comment from: Tony, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

I'm a 53 year old male, had a mild fever the other night. Then I started getting the mouth ulcers! Yikes! Awful. The mouth ulcers lasted 4 days, mint Listerine about every two hours really helped ease the pain. A rash developed on my calves, thighs and on each side of my knees!?!? But did not itch much. Now, about the sixth day, I have severe stiffness and some joint pain mainly during the evening and in bed. Even my jaw is stiff and sore, hands and wrists are the worst. I hope this it now and it goes away. 12-24-11.

Coxsackie Virus - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with Coxsackie virus.
Coxsackie Virus - Treatment Question: What treatment did you or your child receive for a Coxsackie virus infection?