Patient Comments: Coxsackievirus - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your coxsackievirus infection?

Comment from: KareyMeAway, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I'm a 19-year-old female. My doctor diagnosed me with the Coxsackie virus; it's the worst thing ever. I'm in college and I am close to missing about a week. I have ulcers in my mouth, on my tongue, and on my gums that happen to be swollen. I feel horrible, my fever is at 103 degrees, I get cold and chills, and my headache is really bad. This virus in general is painful. My glands and tonsils are swollen.

Comment from: elvis, Male (Patient) Published: February 20

I was paralyzed by Coxsackie virus infection when I was 16. I am 21 now and I'm still affected by Coxsackie virus, it is a horrible thing. I have heart problems and I'm scared it is from this virus.

Comment from: Caregiver, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 17

My 50 year old husband was just diagnosed with Coxsackie virus. It's terrible to see how much pain he is in from the sores on his hands, feet and mouth. He can't even button his shirt. I have looked online for home remedies, but nothing has worked or helped (cornstarch). Just have to wait it out. I believe I had a mild case of HFM ((Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease) last week but nothing like what he is experiencing. I can't wait till this is over.

Comment from: cat, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

My brother, 29, had Coxsackie virus infection last week. I stayed away from him, but then I had a sore throat, and then a really bad fever. That part was the worst. I still have the sore throat, and the blisters I can feel them, so I am sure they will appear by tomorrow morning. I just want this to be over, but I assume I have another week left of this mess. For the fever I kept switching between ibuprofen and Tylenol. For the blisters I am going to attempt Benadryl on my hands. I just hope I don't get my parents sick or anyone at work. I don't even know when I'm allowed to return. My advice would be avoid anyone who has this. And if you can't, Lysol everything and wash your hands every single chance you have.

Comment from: Lyn, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 30

My husband (49 years) has just been diagnosed with Coxsackie virus, his B1-6 are high but B2 and B5 are exceptionally high. Our general physician says he should take Vita-thion twice a day along with his vitamins and minerals and if 1 day he feels really bad then a Coryx or Celestamine 2 times. My husband has been sick with pleurisy 5 times in the last year and has been on huge amounts of antibiotics over this year. I am so frustrated because there is no medication to cure this.

Comment from: stargazer206, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I'm an almost 49 year old female that suffered with a nasty sore throat that would not go away. After a Z-Pak and strep test my doctor then did lab work and put me on antibiotics and found Coxsackie and pertussis! I have no coughing at all but am extremely tired and have some body aches and headaches.

Comment from: Harold, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

The Coxsackie virus came to the surface I believe again. Bornholm Disease (“the devils grip”) on my right side has had me in pain and only let up about 80% of the time with vibration massage, and heat. I take aspirin sometimes for extreme pain. In the beginning there was no sign on my skin of the virus. The muscles in between the rib cage were affected. The pain was great. I had fever and a nagging headache for 6 days. It seamed like there was a hair in my eyes at times and they felt like they were swollen.

Coxsackievirus - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with the coxsackievirus.
Coxsackievirus - Treatment Question: What treatment did you or your child receive for a coxsackievirus infection?