Patient Comments: Coxsackie Virus - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your Coxsackie virus infection?

Comment from: FatherInTheUK, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 07

My baby daughter was born healthy in hospital and we were sent home without any cause for concern. On her second night she ran a fever of 39.5 degree C and was very sleepy. We took her to the hospital as it was the middle of the night and she was seen by a general physician who admitted her to the children's ward. She was given many blood tests, spinal cord fluid tested for the next 5 days and the day she turned 7 days old she stopped feeding, and in the night began to have fits which my wife brought to the nurse's attention and she was seen by 2 doctors. Both the nurses and doctors dismissed the fits as hiccups. A different nurse recognized the fits in the morning and she was given drugs to stop the actual seizure and more drugs to stop further fits but these drugs made her sleepy. She had a CT scan later that day with a clear result. She was not seen by a doctor for another 9 hours only nurses and in this time her circulation became poor (as noted by the fact the nurses were unable to take her temperature or get a got heart rate from a monitor). This was passed off as being due to old equipment and sadly no doctor was informed of these signs. Later that evening on doctor's rounds she was given large amounts of saline (180ml) as a resuscitation method which caused her heart to stop and a resuscitation team was called in and full resuscitation was started for but after an hour our baby girl was pronounced dead, and we were distraught. But we just want parents to know about this awful virus which we are told is fatal to 50% of newborns who contract it. The sub type was Coxsackie virus B2.

Comment from: KareyMeAway, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I'm a 19-year-old female. My doctor diagnosed me with the Coxsackie virus; it's the worst thing ever. I'm in college and I am close to missing about a week. I have ulcers in my mouth, on my tongue, and on my gums that happen to be swollen. I feel horrible, my fever is at 103 degrees, I get cold and chills, and my headache is really bad. This virus in general is painful. My glands and tonsils are swollen.

Comment from: cat, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

My brother, 29, had Coxsackie virus infection last week. I stayed away from him, but then I had a sore throat, and then a really bad fever. That part was the worst. I still have the sore throat, and the blisters I can feel them, so I am sure they will appear by tomorrow morning. I just want this to be over, but I assume I have another week left of this mess. For the fever I kept switching between ibuprofen and Tylenol. For the blisters I am going to attempt Benadryl on my hands. I just hope I don't get my parents sick or anyone at work. I don't even know when I'm allowed to return. My advice would be avoid anyone who has this. And if you can't, Lysol everything and wash your hands every single chance you have.

Comment from: Lyn, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 30

My husband (49 years) has just been diagnosed with Coxsackie virus, his B1-6 are high but B2 and B5 are exceptionally high. Our general physician says he should take Vita-thion twice a day along with his vitamins and minerals and if 1 day he feels really bad then a Coryx or Celestamine 2 times. My husband has been sick with pleurisy 5 times in the last year and has been on huge amounts of antibiotics over this year. I am so frustrated because there is no medication to cure this.

Comment from: stargazer206, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I'm an almost 49 year old female that suffered with a nasty sore throat that would not go away. After a Z-Pak and strep test my doctor then did lab work and put me on antibiotics and found Coxsackie and pertussis! I have no coughing at all but am extremely tired and have some body aches and headaches.

Comment from: Harold, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

The Coxsackie virus came to the surface I believe again. Bornholm Disease (“the devils grip”) on my right side has had me in pain and only let up about 80% of the time with vibration massage, and heat. I take aspirin sometimes for extreme pain. In the beginning there was no sign on my skin of the virus. The muscles in between the rib cage were affected. The pain was great. I had fever and a nagging headache for 6 days. It seamed like there was a hair in my eyes at times and they felt like they were swollen.

Coxsackie Virus - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with Coxsackie virus.
Coxsackie Virus - Treatment Question: What treatment did you or your child receive for a Coxsackie virus infection?