Patient Comments: Coxsackievirus - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your coxsackievirus infection?

Comment from: Hidalgo.girl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

During a family vacation to Jamaica in June 2014 I began waking during the night with shortness of breath and crackling sounds from my lungs. Then I began to notice swelling in both legs. I also noticed fatigue. Of course I ignored the classic signs and symptoms of congestive heart failure (CHF)! Normally I am very healthy with no chronic conditions. After returning to the States, the shortness of breath and crackling worsened. I went to the emergency room (ER) in the hospital where I work. My blood pressure was very high, oxygen saturation 85% on room air. I was given diuretics, antibiotics, and nebulizers. CT of chest to check for clot was negative. I was admitted for further testing. Echo showed enlarged heart, ejection fraction 25-30. Viral screen had a hit on the Coxsackie B virus. The virus had attacked the heart resulting in congestive heart failure. I spent 7 days in the hospital. I now have cardiomyopathy, enlarged heart and am at high risk for sudden cardiac death. For that reason I was released from hospital wearing a life vest (wearable defibrillator). If my cardiac function does not improve I will need a defibrillator implanted into my chest. My cardiologist does not want me to exert myself or put any stress on my heart, he just wants it to rest for now. This virus is awful! I am now taking 5 medications and previously I took none at all. I tire easily but am gaining strength. I am hopeful that I will be able to return to my position as a staff nurse on an inpatient physical rehabilitation unit. But right now it is a waiting game.

Comment from: bklyn, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 15

I am curious if anyone else has had sores in their nose from Coxsackie virus infection. I had all the other stuff too, high fever, sores on hands and feet, in mouth, and sore throat. But I'm having a hard time finding information about sores in the nose. They are driving me nuts and are so large, all along the inside rim, that there is no way I could put a finger in my nose unless I would really force it. I know the others will go away as they did with my daughter who had it just before me. But I don't know what to do about the nose. It's not getting better at all.

Comment from: ann, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I was unlucky enough to have caught this Coxsackie virus in February 2014. Two months later I think it is still in my system, currently my finger/toe nails are separating from the nail bed. Mine started like a normal cold then went to fever, then the rash; oh boy, on hands and feet and hurts like heck! Like there were a thousand needles stuck in my fingertips and feet. I couldn"t walk or touch for a few days and the itching, oh my! And when you think you are getting better, when the spots/blisters are going away, the healing... the skin starts to peal, all my callouses on my hands and feet just lifted off, a great way to have those removed! My hands are brand new smooth raw skin, but ouch, don"t use a wheel barrow without gloves. Raw skin without callouses, ouch! Now next I have the nail issue.

Comment from: Karisa27, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I am 24 years old. It is 2 weeks before Christmas and I wake up with blisters all over my hands. It was the most painful thing I've ever experienced especially because I have chronic eczema on top of the sores! I couldn't move my hands. I went to 5 different doctors In 2 days. Finally they tell me it is Coxsackie. I had no fever and just a few red sores in my mouth that lasted 3 days.

Comment from: mcbarb, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I just turned 65. I became short of breath one day, the next day ended up hospitalized with fevers to 103.5F. I am currently being treated with Remicade monthly infusions for severe rheumatoid arthritis. I had the infusion the previous week. About 3 weeks before onset of symptoms I had had a routine colonoscopy and upper endoscopy. I had diagnosis of inflammatory bowel disorder and GERD. I officially tested positive for Coxsackie B4 virus after perhaps a month of hospitalization and illness. I was treated in the hospital from just before Thanksgiving 2012 to January 21, 2013. Twice I was septic and received very strong IV antibiotics. I developed severe yeast infection of my bottom, cold sores from nose to lips, and a virulent strain of C Difficile. I lost 34 pounds. I was operated on to cut window into pericardium to alleviate fluid buildup in pericardium, and chest tubes for severe chest fluid buildup. I continued to run fevers from Nov 20th 2012 to Mar. 2012. Recovery and reconditioning has been ongoing.

Coxsackievirus - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with the coxsackievirus.
Coxsackievirus - Treatment Question: What treatment did you or your child receive for a coxsackievirus infection?