Patient Comments: Coxsackie Virus - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your Coxsackie virus infection?

Comment from: Chimney, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I had a horrible fever, chills, muscle aches, a cough, and loss of appetite. It started to hurt trying to swallow and I went to the doctors to find out I had these really gross looking throat ulcers. I was so afraid I had herpes because they look really similar, and if it was my primary outbreak, it would make sense why I felt so sick. I'd much rather have the hand, foot, mouth disease, which is what I think I have going on. There are even a couple tiny bumps on my left hand today. My wisdom tooth is infected, so eating is next to impossible. I also have the runs now it is such a mess, I can't wait for this ride to be over. Stay hydrated everyone! I'm using this stuff called Magic Swish and it's helping soothe my throat ulcers a lot.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

My main symptom was a deep, hacking/barking cough - the strongest I have ever had, lasting for >4 weeks. I coughed so hard the doctor thinks I injured the connective tissue between my ribs. Ended up with asthmatic bronchitis including wheezing, chest pain on one side, and shortness of breath. Also a low grade fever, sore throat, malaise, chills, and body aches - these symptoms were fairly short-lived (only a few days) but the cough/chest pain has been unbearable.

Comment from: Tony, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

I'm a 53 year old male, had a mild fever the other night. Then I started getting the mouth ulcers! Yikes! Awful. The mouth ulcers lasted 4 days, mint Listerine about every two hours really helped ease the pain. A rash developed on my calves, thighs and on each side of my knees!?!? But did not itch much. Now, about the sixth day, I have severe stiffness and some joint pain mainly during the evening and in bed. Even my jaw is stiff and sore, hands and wrists are the worst. I hope this it now and it goes away. 12-24-11.

Comment from: slurp81, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

I'm 30 and have just been diagnosed as having HFMD (Coxsackie 16). My 10 month old was hot for a few days this week and off his food; we thought it was a severe cold as my husband and I were also full of cold. I then had a sore throat two days ago which by yesterday was horrific and I had red lumps on the roof of my mouth and throat. We thought it might be strep until I woke today to find small red blisters all over my palms and the soles of my feet. It's likely that it's going round nursery and whereas children can sometimes fight it off with just a sore throat and temperature, adults can suffer severely.

Comment from: Crystal25, 25-34 Female Published: July 19

My 7 1/2 month old started with a fever 102.6, at first I thought it was from teething because well she's teething and she would latch on then off and continue doing that until satisfied, on the third day of 102.6 fever I took her to the pediatrician, which was when the tiny blisters were found in her mouth. By day 4 the fever finally broke, no blisters on her hands or feet but she developed a heat rash all over her body. When the fever broke she started having diarrhea, and now she hardly wants to nurse, however she will drink cold water from a cup and eat baby food, but she's not sleeping well at all at night, she was up at least every hour last night and we're only on day six.

Comment from: tanya, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 15

My son died at the age of 26 from this virus he got from his 2 year old daughter. It infected his heart.

Comment from: frustrated mom, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 08

My son is 12 1/2 years old and when he was 1-1/2 the doc said he had Coxsackie virus. I only remember a sore on his chin and every year he has an outbreak in the same spot.

Coxsackie Virus - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with Coxsackie virus.
Coxsackie Virus - Treatment Question: What treatment did you or your child receive for a Coxsackie virus infection?