Patient Comments: Coxsackie Virus - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your Coxsackie virus infection?

Comment from: ngrin, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 02

I am looking for help and/or learning about other's experiences as my own with Coxsackie B Virus. I've had issues with fatigue the past few years and learned I had adrenal fatigue and hypothyroidism. Although, the adrenal fatigue is gone, I'm still struggling with fatigue even though I take thyroid medication. My thyroid tests seem to be fine; however, I found out in July I had all six strains of the Coxsackie B virus. I've had issues with my WBC (white blood cell) count in the past so I wasn't surprised I contracted this virus. However, it's been three months and I am still showing positive for all six strains. At this point, my only symptom is fatigue. I'm very concerned that I've had this virus too long and don't know to do next. I am considering going to an infectious disease doctor and need other opinions.

Comment from: elvis, Male (Patient) Published: February 20

I was paralyzed by Coxsackie virus infection when I was 16. I am 21 now and I'm still affected by Coxsackie virus, it is a horrible thing. I have heart problems and I'm scared it is from this virus.

Comment from: Caregiver, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 17

My 50 year old husband was just diagnosed with Coxsackie virus. It's terrible to see how much pain he is in from the sores on his hands, feet and mouth. He can't even button his shirt. I have looked online for home remedies, but nothing has worked or helped (cornstarch). Just have to wait it out. I believe I had a mild case of HFM ((Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease) last week but nothing like what he is experiencing. I can't wait till this is over.

Comment from: MichelleCP, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I was diagnosed with Coxsackie virus in early June and ended up going to the emergency room (ER) with what I thought was a kidney infection. I had intense back pain and stomach pain, fever of 103. The sore throat and blisters started the day after. I was back to work after 7 days and then my skin started to peel. Hands were first and now the feet are still peeling. Now, as another poster mentioned, my finger nails are starting to peel off as well (glad I'm not the only one).

Comment from: Hidalgo.girl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

During a family vacation to Jamaica in June 2014 I began waking during the night with shortness of breath and crackling sounds from my lungs. Then I began to notice swelling in both legs. I also noticed fatigue. Of course I ignored the classic signs and symptoms of congestive heart failure (CHF)! Normally I am very healthy with no chronic conditions. After returning to the States, the shortness of breath and crackling worsened. I went to the emergency room (ER) in the hospital where I work. My blood pressure was very high, oxygen saturation 85% on room air. I was given diuretics, antibiotics, and nebulizers. CT of chest to check for clot was negative. I was admitted for further testing. Echo showed enlarged heart, ejection fraction 25-30. Viral screen had a hit on the Coxsackie B virus. The virus had attacked the heart resulting in congestive heart failure. I spent 7 days in the hospital. I now have cardiomyopathy, enlarged heart and am at high risk for sudden cardiac death. For that reason I was released from hospital wearing a life vest (wearable defibrillator). If my cardiac function does not improve I will need a defibrillator implanted into my chest. My cardiologist does not want me to exert myself or put any stress on my heart, he just wants it to rest for now. This virus is awful! I am now taking 5 medications and previously I took none at all. I tire easily but am gaining strength. I am hopeful that I will be able to return to my position as a staff nurse on an inpatient physical rehabilitation unit. But right now it is a waiting game.

Comment from: bklyn, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 15

I am curious if anyone else has had sores in their nose from Coxsackie virus infection. I had all the other stuff too, high fever, sores on hands and feet, in mouth, and sore throat. But I'm having a hard time finding information about sores in the nose. They are driving me nuts and are so large, all along the inside rim, that there is no way I could put a finger in my nose unless I would really force it. I know the others will go away as they did with my daughter who had it just before me. But I don't know what to do about the nose. It's not getting better at all.

Coxsackie Virus - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with Coxsackie virus.
Coxsackie Virus - Treatment Question: What treatment did you or your child receive for a Coxsackie virus infection?