Patient Comments: Coxsackie Virus - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your Coxsackie virus infection?

Comment from: ngrin, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 02

I am looking for help and/or learning about other's experiences as my own with Coxsackie B Virus. I've had issues with fatigue the past few years and learned I had adrenal fatigue and hypothyroidism. Although, the adrenal fatigue is gone, I'm still struggling with fatigue even though I take thyroid medication. My thyroid tests seem to be fine; however, I found out in July I had all six strains of the Coxsackie B virus. I've had issues with my WBC (white blood cell) count in the past so I wasn't surprised I contracted this virus. However, it's been three months and I am still showing positive for all six strains. At this point, my only symptom is fatigue. I'm very concerned that I've had this virus too long and don't know to do next. I am considering going to an infectious disease doctor and need other opinions.

Comment from: elvis, Male (Patient) Published: February 20

I was paralyzed by Coxsackie virus infection when I was 16. I am 21 now and I'm still affected by Coxsackie virus, it is a horrible thing. I have heart problems and I'm scared it is from this virus.

Comment from: Caregiver, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 17

My 50 year old husband was just diagnosed with Coxsackie virus. It's terrible to see how much pain he is in from the sores on his hands, feet and mouth. He can't even button his shirt. I have looked online for home remedies, but nothing has worked or helped (cornstarch). Just have to wait it out. I believe I had a mild case of HFM ((Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease) last week but nothing like what he is experiencing. I can't wait till this is over.

Comment from: bklyn, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 15

I am curious if anyone else has had sores in their nose from Coxsackie virus infection. I had all the other stuff too, high fever, sores on hands and feet, in mouth, and sore throat. But I'm having a hard time finding information about sores in the nose. They are driving me nuts and are so large, all along the inside rim, that there is no way I could put a finger in my nose unless I would really force it. I know the others will go away as they did with my daughter who had it just before me. But I don't know what to do about the nose. It's not getting better at all.

Comment from: ann, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I was unlucky enough to have caught this Coxsackie virus in February 2014. Two months later I think it is still in my system, currently my finger/toe nails are separating from the nail bed. Mine started like a normal cold then went to fever, then the rash; oh boy, on hands and feet and hurts like heck! Like there were a thousand needles stuck in my fingertips and feet. I couldn"t walk or touch for a few days and the itching, oh my! And when you think you are getting better, when the spots/blisters are going away, the healing... the skin starts to peal, all my callouses on my hands and feet just lifted off, a great way to have those removed! My hands are brand new smooth raw skin, but ouch, don"t use a wheel barrow without gloves. Raw skin without callouses, ouch! Now next I have the nail issue.

Comment from: Karisa27, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I am 24 years old. It is 2 weeks before Christmas and I wake up with blisters all over my hands. It was the most painful thing I've ever experienced especially because I have chronic eczema on top of the sores! I couldn't move my hands. I went to 5 different doctors In 2 days. Finally they tell me it is Coxsackie. I had no fever and just a few red sores in my mouth that lasted 3 days.

Comment from: mcbarb, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I just turned 65. I became short of breath one day, the next day ended up hospitalized with fevers to 103.5F. I am currently being treated with Remicade monthly infusions for severe rheumatoid arthritis. I had the infusion the previous week. About 3 weeks before onset of symptoms I had had a routine colonoscopy and upper endoscopy. I had diagnosis of inflammatory bowel disorder and GERD. I officially tested positive for Coxsackie B4 virus after perhaps a month of hospitalization and illness. I was treated in the hospital from just before Thanksgiving 2012 to January 21, 2013. Twice I was septic and received very strong IV antibiotics. I developed severe yeast infection of my bottom, cold sores from nose to lips, and a virulent strain of C Difficile. I lost 34 pounds. I was operated on to cut window into pericardium to alleviate fluid buildup in pericardium, and chest tubes for severe chest fluid buildup. I continued to run fevers from Nov 20th 2012 to Mar. 2012. Recovery and reconditioning has been ongoing.

Coxsackie Virus - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with Coxsackie virus.
Coxsackie Virus - Treatment Question: What treatment did you or your child receive for a Coxsackie virus infection?