Patient Comments: Coxsackie Virus - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your Coxsackie virus infection?

Comment from: Lyn, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 30

My husband (49 years) has just been diagnosed with Coxsackie virus, his B1-6 are high but B2 and B5 are exceptionally high. Our general physician says he should take Vita-thion twice a day along with his vitamins and minerals and if 1 day he feels really bad then a Coryx or Celestamine 2 times. My husband has been sick with pleurisy 5 times in the last year and has been on huge amounts of antibiotics over this year. I am so frustrated because there is no medication to cure this.

Comment from: stargazer206, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I'm an almost 49 year old female that suffered with a nasty sore throat that would not go away. After a Z-Pak and strep test my doctor then did lab work and put me on antibiotics and found Coxsackie and pertussis! I have no coughing at all but am extremely tired and have some body aches and headaches.

Comment from: Harold, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

The Coxsackie virus came to the surface I believe again. Bornholm Disease (“the devils grip”) on my right side has had me in pain and only let up about 80% of the time with vibration massage, and heat. I take aspirin sometimes for extreme pain. In the beginning there was no sign on my skin of the virus. The muscles in between the rib cage were affected. The pain was great. I had fever and a nagging headache for 6 days. It seamed like there was a hair in my eyes at times and they felt like they were swollen.

Comment from: usmccaul, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 01

I am a 45 year old man, no children, started with sore abdominal muscles, tingling on abs skin, got very tired over the next 2 days, extreme frontal headaches, loss of appetite, 3rd day started to have breathing problems, went to the hospital, they dismissed me, 2 days later I sat up all night as I could not breath if I lied down, went to the hospital at 5:30 am, they put me on morphine right away, was on that for 2 days, while in the hospital at night I had the night sweats, they had to change my bedding 4-5 times a night, fever went up and down all day from 99-103, I would sleep for an hour then wake up soaking in sweat, my immune system would go into overdrive, inflammation around the heart and lungs. 4 days in the hospital, following week, had night sweats, swollen glands in throat and behind ears, following week, developed rash across the back, they diagnosed pericarditis-pleuritis, 4 weeks now and still have ear aches, and light headed when standing from kneeling. They told me today the blood work came back and confirmed coxsackie b.

Comment from: amypetraglia, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 16

In January my 2 year old had coxsakie. She had a severe case where it was literally everywhere. She got dehydrated and was hospitalized and had IV fluids. It took many weeks for the blisters to heal. Ever since then she's been running fevers ranging from low grade fever of 99.6 to higher fever of 101.1. Then in March her fingernails peeled off. Still running fevers. Now it's May 15th and her toenails are peeling off. She still runs these fevers and her reactive lymphocytes are 62. We are going to infectious disease doctors on Thursday but I'm so worried that something is very wrong with her. She barely eats and sleeps. All she does is drink.

Comment from: Jbento2, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 14

It first started out with body aches, fever 101.9 and chills. I thought I had the flu went home to sleep it off. Woke up the next day with a sore throat plus exudate on my tonsils, my mouth was sore, my fingers were swollen and fingertips were sore. Had negative rapid strep thought viral pharyngitis. Woke up next day to several canker sores inside my mouth and small red spots on my fingertips. Very painful in my mouth. After 2 days mouth was getting better but then I started getting red spots all over arms and legs. Virus still running its course so interested in what symptoms I will have next. I am assuming I got this from my 4 month year old daughter who had a fever earlier in the week who is in daycare.

Coxsackie Virus - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with Coxsackie virus.
Coxsackie Virus - Treatment Question: What treatment did you or your child receive for a Coxsackie virus infection?