Patient Comments: Coxsackie Virus - Experience

Please describe your experience with Coxsackie virus.

Comment from: acincy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

With Coxsackie virus, on day 1 I had sore lip. Day 2 and 3, there was yellowish whitish canker sore on my lip and a tiny little blister on my tongue (like when you eat something acidic like pineapple). I thought nothing of it and kept going to work. Day 4 and 5, I got a sore throat and a few more painful sores in my mouth. It hurt to eat and drink. Day 6, I had fever 99 F to 100 F range, body aches, chills, and swollen gums/jaw area. On day 7 fever subsided, I had a mild headache, was still a little achy, tongue got multiple blisters and was more swollen. Day 8, I had mild chest pain, gums are so swollen, and it hurts to eat. Tongue blisters are starting to shrink. I had to take pain pills just about every night otherwise I would wake up because my mouth and lips hurt.

Comment from: DaveB, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 09

I'm 54, and I got hand, foot, and mouth disease (HMFD) from Coxsackie virus, from my 5 year old (who got it while in the hospital, of all places, having his adenoids removed). It started with a mild sore throat, then the next day a low-grade fever. Day 3, the fever was gone, but my throat was on fire, felt like strep throat. Day 4, my throat was still painful, and I noticed some prickly little bumps on my fingers. After a trip to the Urgent Care to rule out strep throat, they told me I had probably picked up Coxsackie virus from my son, and that it would clear up on its own. Day 7 and all clear!

Comment from: Sunnyflo, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

My 9 month old daughter contracted Coxsackie's virus from daycare. After a week of sleepless nights I thought we were in the clear; until both my husband and I got it! It is awful. It started with high fevers, body, joint aches, and just feeling crummy. Then a sore throat that felt like I was swallowing shards of glass. Then came the rash. I am itching so badly from the rash/blisters on my hands and feet. So far nothing I've tried has helped. I continue to take Advil for pain and Benadryl for the itching. I cannot imagine what my baby had to go through.

Comment from: Claudia, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 05

My husband seems to have gotten this Coxsackie virus from what the physician has told us yesterday. It started with high fevers in the 103.5s; he had fevers for 15 days. He was admitted in the hospital where they ran a lot of bloodwork and weren't able to find what was causing this; not until after discharge we are told he has tested positive for Coxsackie and there is no treatment. Four weeks in he has started to have a low grade fever 2 days ago (once a day), he is weak and has no energy. How long is this going to last!

Comment from: Very sick, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I am a 44 year old woman. Last Sunday my 5 year old daughter had very high fever 39.4 C. Finally she was diagnosed with strep throat and got antibiotic. Two days ago, on Tuesday night, my son, 5 year old, got a high fever, next day he didn't eat and cried that his throat is very sore. I also developed fever on Wednesday. So I ran with the kids to the clinic to have throat swab, believing that my son and I caught bacteria from my daughter and have strep throat. Against my expectations, our throat swabs were negative. Next day my throat was all in blisters. I couldn't swallow. I saw a few blisters on my son's throat. I was sure again that it's tonsillitis. Today we got small red blisters on our palms. Also I have blisters on my gums, tongue, anywhere inside mouth. It's so sore that I can't eat at all, only drink some water or milk. My son didn't eat for 3 days. Today he started to drink and eat more, some soft food. He has much less blisters than I. Now I've read disease description and patients' stories and understood that I got Coxsackie's virus from my son. I only hope to get better in few next days.

Comment from: tman, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 21

My son has the Coxsackie virus, and it's the first time I have ever seen this. He has had a fever for six days, and has facial sores on his face. The worst part of it all is the sores in his gums, and mouth. It causes him pain. It also give him very bad breath. Sleeping at night has been very hard this whole week, because he is very restless, and has to sleep with us to ease his pain. There is nothing you can do, but wait it out, and keep hydrated.

Coxsackie Virus - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your Coxsackie virus infection?
Coxsackie Virus - Treatment Question: What treatment did you or your child receive for a Coxsackie virus infection?