Patient Comments: Coxsackie Virus - Experience

Please describe your experience with Coxsackie virus.

Comment from: Collec32, 7-12 (Caregiver) Published: October 31

I have just recently experienced this virus for the first time with my children. My daughter who is 10 became ill first and she had a fever of 103.6. She had a severe sore throat that was associated with bad breath. She had a pimply rash on the face and weird looking bumps on the hands and feet that she described as itchy and painful. My son came down with the virus 5 days after she started it and I sanitized so much. This virus must be highly contagious. He had a fever of 102.5, headache and sore throat, also associated with bad breath. He got the rash on his bottom the most and very little on the hands, feet and mouth. I've heard this virus weakens from person to person. Maybe that's why my daughter had it so much worse. They both did not want to eat for 4 days. I am glad we are through it.

Comment from: Shirley, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 18

I had Myocarditis in 1991 at the age of 34, and it was linked to the Coxsackie virus as the cause. The virus made me very ill and although I was said to be one of the lucky ones that the virus didn't leave my heart damaged, my quality of life has never recovered. After I was released from the hospital with the news that there was nothing that could be done to help me and my body would either fight the virus or it would get the best of me, it took several years to recover enough to resume shopping for my family and taking care of them. Even after all these years, I'm still not back to normal. I tire much quicker than other people, and am limited to how many days I can push myself to live full throttle. But I am happy to say that I was able to do a ridiculously fun zip-line through the jungle's tree tops near Chiang Mie, and to snorkel in Bali with my husband on a recent vacation to Asia.

Comment from: Mel, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I have been living with the Coxsackie virus for about five years now and it has recently flamed up again. My main symptoms are tiredness and body aches and pains. A mild antidepressant helped me cope with everyday life and I live a full and active life. Recently, my doctor suggested Intragam injections to help my antibodies fight the virus and regenerate my low white blood cell count. I had one injection so far and feel amazing.

Comment from: Fat Face, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 21

I aspirated during an Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) in May and developed pericarditis. Since then, I've had a few episodes that have required hospitalizations. I have been on a prednisone taper since that time and end up with a relapse when my taper from prednisone is too rapid.

Coxsackie Virus - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your Coxsackie virus infection?
Coxsackie Virus - Treatment Question: What treatment did you or your child receive for a Coxsackie virus infection?