Cough Medicine and Cough Syrups Index
Cough medicine and cough syrups can be taken to relive a cough. Some people should not take cough medicine or cough syrups, for example, those taking SSRI antidepressants, and those with high blood pressure or heart disease. Cough suppressants relive a cough by blocking the cough reflex. Cough expectorants thins mucus, so a person can cough mucus up easier. Often, a combination of a cold and cough medicine are necessary.
What happens within the body when a person develops bronchitis? Take this quick quiz to learn the causes, symptoms, treatments,...learn more »
Pleurisy, an inflammation of the lining around the lungs, is associated with sharp chest pain upon breathing in. Cough, chest...learn more »
Laryngitis is an inflammation of the voice box (vocal cords). The most common cause of acute laryngitis is infection, which...learn more »
Bronchitis is inflammation of the airways in the lung. Acute bronchitis is is short in duration (10 to 20 days) in comparison...learn more »
Although a fever technically is any body temperature above the normal of 98.6 F (37 C), in practice, a person is usually not...learn more »
In This Article
- Fever facts
- What is a fever?
- What causes a fever?
- What are the signs and symptoms of a fever?
- How is a fever diagnosed?
- How should someone take a temperature for fever?
- What is the treatment for a fever?
- When should someone seek medical care for a fever?
- What kind of doctors treat a fever?
- What are complications of a fever?
- What is the prognosis for a fever?
- Is it possible to prevent a fever?
- Where can people find more information about fevers?
Strep throat is a bacterial infection of the throat. Signs and symptoms of strep throat include
nausea,...learn more »