Patient Comments: Costochondritis and Tietze's Syndrome - Treatments

What was the treatment for your costochondritis and Tietze's syndrome?

Comment from: chavez24, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I've had Teitze's Syndrome for about 4 years now. I'm 17 at the moment and I've been in and out of the Emergency Room. Doctors always tell me the same thing, to take Aleve or Ibuprofen. It really hasn't worked at all. Lying down only makes it worse and having this syndrome can be very confusing. Working out seems impossible now because i seem to breathe heavily and it hurts a lot. The pain is really severe and nobody really seems to understand. Hopefully there will be more answers for this.

Comment from: Good Intentions, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

My Costochondritis was flared after disc replace/fusion surgery. Its been 10 months of stabbing pain to twinges. PT helps a lot and flextor patches and ice. Once it settles down I just move a certain way and it's back again.

Comment from: JMeanBean, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 26

I've had reoccurring Tietze`s for a few months now and the pain can make me faint it`s so bad. I use topical analgesic creams and stay immobilized for up to a week. Anti-inflammatory medications are helpful but hard on the stomach. If symptoms are a constantly reoccurring narcotics are helpful but addictive.

Comment from: Barb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I have tietze, I'm in my 5th month. I am 85% healed. I take ibuprophen due to the length of time using medicine and safer than most. Do not carry bags of groceries hanging at your side. Do not drive a car with wide turns of the steering wheel. Do not carry heavy items. Do not dig in the garden. All these activities cause relapse and high degree of pain. Keep the arms relatively still and if you want to get well learn to just sit and rest, watch TV, read. Using your arms will cause the swelling. A desk job is OK - a job where you use your arms, you're in trouble, make adjustments. Take note of what you did before a pain flare up, this will help you to know your own body. There is life after tietze, this too shall pass. Once you feel your first healing, you will have mental relief and happy. Hang in there, we are out here who have gone and going through this.

Comment from: 8300mak, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I only suffer from Costochondritis [not Tietze] and was prescribed Medrol pain patches and 160 MG Ibuprophen every 12 hours by my physician.

Comment from: elsie1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

I use topical ibruprofen gel; using 10% at the moment. My condition baffled all at A&E and was diagnosed at a breast clinic. I was told it could be my kidneys, pancreas, gall bladder, breast cancer and other things, I had had a very bad reaction to amoxicillin which lasted six weeks. It affected my bowels and I was in terrible pain and was admitted to hospital. The Tietze came on whilst I had the bowel problem but was not diagnosed by any doctor. Do not be alarmed if you get this swelling below your breast, I am now out of breath but happy it's not anything more sinister.

Comment from: janet, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

Two 20 celebrex to get it into my system and then take one when in pain. Hopefully it's short term, this is my first time.

Comment from: Florence, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

My doctor just diagnosed me with Tietze syndrome. I am a brittle diabetic on an insulin pump. I did not know what was happening as my chest was aching and I had difficulty taking breaths. Now I know. I'm on Motrin for inflammation and hope I do not have to resort to steroids due to even more difficult blood glucose control. I figured out that I may have gotten this from greatly increasing my exercise routine on my treadmill over the prior week. Hard lesson to learn!

Costochondritis and Tietze's Syndrome - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your costochondritis and Tietze's syndrome?