Patient Comments: Costochondritis and Tietze's Syndrome - Treatments

What was the treatment for your costochondritis and Tietze's syndrome?

Comment from: 8300mak, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I only suffer from Costochondritis [not Tietze] and was prescribed Medrol pain patches and 160 MG Ibuprophen every 12 hours by my physician.

Comment from: elsie1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

I use topical ibruprofen gel; using 10% at the moment. My condition baffled all at A&E and was diagnosed at a breast clinic. I was told it could be my kidneys, pancreas, gall bladder, breast cancer and other things, I had had a very bad reaction to amoxicillin which lasted six weeks. It affected my bowels and I was in terrible pain and was admitted to hospital. The Tietze came on whilst I had the bowel problem but was not diagnosed by any doctor. Do not be alarmed if you get this swelling below your breast, I am now out of breath but happy it's not anything more sinister.

Comment from: janet, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

Two 20 celebrex to get it into my system and then take one when in pain. Hopefully it's short term, this is my first time.

Comment from: Florence, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

My doctor just diagnosed me with Tietze syndrome. I am a brittle diabetic on an insulin pump. I did not know what was happening as my chest was aching and I had difficulty taking breaths. Now I know. I'm on Motrin for inflammation and hope I do not have to resort to steroids due to even more difficult blood glucose control. I figured out that I may have gotten this from greatly increasing my exercise routine on my treadmill over the prior week. Hard lesson to learn!

Comment from: goldsmith, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I believe some of you are not seeing the right kind of doctor. I have multiple auto immune diseases. Today I had a much stronger pain than usual. I went to a pain specialist and he said it was costochondritis. Next week I'm getting an epidural injection for a bulging disc in my neck. He is also going to inject that area around the sternum with a steroid. No one should have to live with this kind of pain. It will lay you out. Had I gone to the emergency room, they would have assumed I was having a heart attack. And to rule that out, they would have run all kinds of expensive heart tests and sent me home with a healthy heart. Seek out a pain specialist who can help you with this. I can't afford to be off work and laid out flat in bed in pain. Good luck to you all!

Comment from: sasha500, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I take Flexeril a muscle relaxer. It helps with the sharp pain. This is my first bout of it and so far has lasted two weeks.

Costochondritis and Tietze's Syndrome - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your costochondritis and Tietze's syndrome?