Patient Comments: Costochondritis and Tietze's Syndrome - Treatments

What was the treatment for your costochondritis and Tietze's syndrome?

Comment from: Mae, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

I was just informed that I have Tietz syndrome after many times to the ER which has not been fun. I also have gout which is under control and I am being treated for high blood pressure for which I am taking water pills.

Comment from: Sammy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I was diagnosed with Tietze syndrome about a year ago. Initially, I had cortisone injections into my back and epidurals. They provided temporary relief and I was getting this done every couple of months. The last time I had the epidural, an assistant pushed the bed up at the wrong time and the needle plunged into my back and caused me great pain. Since then I have been trying to deal with the pain on my own and this past week it has flared up increasingly. I am still looking for a home remedy for the pain.

Comment from: newland sue, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

The treatment for my costochondritis and Tietze syndrome was total rest for eight weeks, then a little light movement, and eventually after five months I was as well as I am now and was before. I only know one other person with this condition. Turning in bed, sitting upright, breathing, were all sometimes unbearable. Driving was really difficult and standing to cook was sometimes impossible. The probable cause is anxiety, I can think of nothing else, nor could my doctor offer anything but paracetamol but he did diagnose it.

Comment from: amethyst, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I have had chest pain for 5 years (I'm 22 now), and just got a costochondritis diagnosis a few days ago. I gave up searching for an answer because I was always told that I was fine after running tests. I ended up going to the doctor this time because it is so much worse than it has ever been before (can't breathe at night, constant heaviness in my chest, stabbing pain when I wear my backpack, or walk distances). My flare-ups seem to be associated with anxiety/panic attacks. My doctor just told me to take Ibuprofen, but I've switched to Naproxen for less dosing throughout the day. I believe my costochondritis is due in part to scoliosis and a back injury that I went to physical therapy for. I wish it would just go away.

Comment from: chavez24, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I've had Teitze's Syndrome for about 4 years now. I'm 17 at the moment and I've been in and out of the Emergency Room. Doctors always tell me the same thing, to take Aleve or Ibuprofen. It really hasn't worked at all. Lying down only makes it worse and having this syndrome can be very confusing. Working out seems impossible now because i seem to breathe heavily and it hurts a lot. The pain is really severe and nobody really seems to understand. Hopefully there will be more answers for this.

Comment from: Good Intentions, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

My Costochondritis was flared after disc replace/fusion surgery. Its been 10 months of stabbing pain to twinges. PT helps a lot and flextor patches and ice. Once it settles down I just move a certain way and it's back again.

Comment from: JMeanBean, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 26

I've had reoccurring Tietze`s for a few months now and the pain can make me faint it`s so bad. I use topical analgesic creams and stay immobilized for up to a week. Anti-inflammatory medications are helpful but hard on the stomach. If symptoms are a constantly reoccurring narcotics are helpful but addictive.

Comment from: Barb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I have tietze, I'm in my 5th month. I am 85% healed. I take ibuprophen due to the length of time using medicine and safer than most. Do not carry bags of groceries hanging at your side. Do not drive a car with wide turns of the steering wheel. Do not carry heavy items. Do not dig in the garden. All these activities cause relapse and high degree of pain. Keep the arms relatively still and if you want to get well learn to just sit and rest, watch TV, read. Using your arms will cause the swelling. A desk job is OK - a job where you use your arms, you're in trouble, make adjustments. Take note of what you did before a pain flare up, this will help you to know your own body. There is life after tietze, this too shall pass. Once you feel your first healing, you will have mental relief and happy. Hang in there, we are out here who have gone and going through this.

Costochondritis and Tietze's Syndrome - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your costochondritis and Tietze's syndrome?