Patient Comments: Costochondritis and Tietze's Syndrome - Treatments

What was the treatment for your costochondritis and Tietze's syndrome?

Comment from: Mcfalls920, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

In May of 2013, I starting having chest pains. My chest pains lead to a massive panic attack, which I had never had before in my life. My husband took me to the emergency room and I had chest x-ray, EKG and blood work done. All my tests were fine. I was told I had a panic attack and diagnosed with costochondritis. Since then I have suffered with horrible anxiety and panic attacks. Then I starting having acid reflux problems. I am taking Buspar for my anxiety and Protonix for my acid reflux but I have found no answer to help the costochondritis. I was told my anxiety was making everything feel a lot worse. It has been a miserable year dealing with all these problems. I spend most of my time going to the doctor for them to tell me nothing is wrong. But when you are in pain you can"t help but worry something is wrong.

Comment from: Madmomma, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have had costochondritis off and on since my early 20's. They way I treat it is to reduce stress, apply a warm moist heating pad, and take a couple of ibuprofen. Then try to rest. This has always helped knock it out quickly.

Comment from: lsofrs, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I am a 58 year old female, nonsmoker, nondrinker, overweight, sedentary (due to injuries from auto accident) and have been experiencing this type of chest pain off and on for years; however, I have one symptom that no one else has mentioned - extreme amounts of trapped gas. When I have an attack, I can take only shallow breaths. The pain extends from my center right chest all the way through to my back, and feels like I'm being stabbed by a knife blade. Forcing burps helps slightly; taking large and frequent doses of anti-gas meds helps somewhat. ER diagnosed "non-specific chest pain." Cardiac tests revealed no heart problems. Endoscopy revealed nothing new as I've had reflux problems most of my life. I also have fibromyalgia, arthritis, and several herniated disks from the wreck. My gall bladder was removed approximately 7 years ago. I've been unable to identify triggers for the flare-ups. Any insight will be most appreciated!

Comment from: RAman, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 14

I have reactive arthritis, anskylosing spondylitis, and this. Probably related to the RA. I'm 25. I was diagnosed with RA at 20 and had to take a year off of school. I now have on and off days. Never can know when it is sore. However, it's moved into my chest. It's annoying to breathe. Best to take anti-inflammation drugs - naproxen is best for me. Best thing I did for RA - Lifting and building mass at the gym. I got serious with it. I wanted to build up and I did. At the same time the RA went away. However, Costochondritis has been aggravated by benching. Can't win at everything I guess.

Published: November 21

I've had costochondritis since I was about 8 years old but I had no clue what it was. All I knew was when it hit I was immobilized. I couldn't move and had to take very shallow breaths. Crying made it hurt worse. I'm 29 now so it's apparently not going away anytime soon. Fortunately, the bouts are far and few between and don't last for more than 10 minutes. I was maybe 25 when I finally found out what it was. This one in particular was a real nasty one. I thought I might have been having a mild heart attack. My mother took me to the ER where I got my diagnosis, but they treated it like it was nothing and sent me on my way. No suggestions of relief were given. What I've learned is that mine flares up when I overexert myself (almost always at the gym). I could get a heating pad or take an anti-inflammatory but it hurts too much to move so I just wait it out in one position and concentrate on very shallow breathing. Hope this helps anyone out there with this. I know how horrible it feels.

Comment from: Roc, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I'm 68-years-old and I have been diagnosed with costochondritis. The attacks are random with no apparent trend. They last 10 to 15 minutes - thankfully they go away with pain medications.

Comment from: Glenis, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I have had costochondritis and now Tietize's disease for some time now. I was diagnosed with costochrondritis first then later was found to be Tietze's disease. My doctor prescribed indocin 75 mg. extended release and I cannot tell you how much better I feel. They say the indocin is hard on your stomach but I have had no problems with it. You might want to ask your doctor if he thinks this is right for you.

Costochondritis and Tietze's Syndrome - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your costochondritis and Tietze's syndrome?