Patient Comments: Costochondritis and Tietze's Syndrome - Treatments

What was the treatment for your costochondritis and Tietze's syndrome?

Comment from: DrWildcat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 23

I was diagnosed with Tietze's syndrome after a visit to the emergency room (ER) for a possible heart attack. All my tests came back negative, in fact, I was told I should be a 30 year old. I was given a narcotic NSAID and methylprednisolone which helps while I'm taking it but the pain returns immediately. After many courses of steroids, we tried injections but again the pain simply returns. My doctor will not prescribe pain medication and I can't tolerate any more steroids, so I was basically told I'd just have to stick it out. The pain is excruciating a great deal of the time, but I don't know what else to do. It's been over a year now. I am making an appointment with a new doctor.

Comment from: CaraP, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I am a 25 year old female, I have been having chest pain for about 3-4 weeks now, and about a week ago I got sick with an average virus going around. Finally last week I went to see my family doctor and after I told him I was having chest pain he pushed on a few of my ribs and they were tender to his touch, and he diagnosed me with costochondritis. No blood work, no chest x-ray. I have had no accidents, or trauma to my chest. I think he assumed the virus came before the chest pain, but it was the other way around. He told me to take Advil twice a day and put a heating pad on the sore area and sent me on my way. I am not at ease with his diagnosis.

Comment from: ginnylou, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I have had three open heart surgeries and if this had happen on left side I would have called my medical alert. I woke up with severe pain under right breast. It hurt to breath. This occurred on the Monday before New Year's Eve. I could not get hold of anyone. I e-mailed a friend who is a doctor. He contacted me immediately and advised me of that it was costochondritis, but he also advised if symptoms spread or worsened, I would need hospital. I stayed in bed and symptoms are slowly improving. I feel much empathy for people who have this on recurring level.

Comment from: clb2013now, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I am a 51 year old female who had a heart attack two years ago and now have a damaged heart. I've been to the emergency room several times since and they check out my heart and it shows nothing. Sometimes the pain goes away within hours, sometimes it is days and I can't even sit, have to be lying down or standing. The physiotherapist suggested to my doctor about costochondritis and he agreed. I have a swelling that keeps popping up between my neck and shoulder and we just assumed it was from the neck. I do have some neck and upper back structure issues too. To top this all off, I'm diabetic and steroids send my sugar way off, ibuprofen sends my blood pressure way up. So, ice and pain patches both over-counter, with fentanyl (when it gets bad) is how I am treating it. I am still going to the physiotherapist and she is helping me work with posture to possibly keep the attacks down, gently, slowly strengthen the muscles to support the chest. She helps with the inflammation with massage too.

Comment from: Mcfalls920, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

In May of 2013, I starting having chest pains. My chest pains lead to a massive panic attack, which I had never had before in my life. My husband took me to the emergency room and I had chest x-ray, EKG and blood work done. All my tests were fine. I was told I had a panic attack and diagnosed with costochondritis. Since then I have suffered with horrible anxiety and panic attacks. Then I starting having acid reflux problems. I am taking Buspar for my anxiety and Protonix for my acid reflux but I have found no answer to help the costochondritis. I was told my anxiety was making everything feel a lot worse. It has been a miserable year dealing with all these problems. I spend most of my time going to the doctor for them to tell me nothing is wrong. But when you are in pain you can"t help but worry something is wrong.

Comment from: Madmomma, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have had costochondritis off and on since my early 20's. They way I treat it is to reduce stress, apply a warm moist heating pad, and take a couple of ibuprofen. Then try to rest. This has always helped knock it out quickly.

Comment from: lsofrs, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I am a 58 year old female, nonsmoker, nondrinker, overweight, sedentary (due to injuries from auto accident) and have been experiencing this type of chest pain off and on for years; however, I have one symptom that no one else has mentioned - extreme amounts of trapped gas. When I have an attack, I can take only shallow breaths. The pain extends from my center right chest all the way through to my back, and feels like I'm being stabbed by a knife blade. Forcing burps helps slightly; taking large and frequent doses of anti-gas meds helps somewhat. ER diagnosed "non-specific chest pain." Cardiac tests revealed no heart problems. Endoscopy revealed nothing new as I've had reflux problems most of my life. I also have fibromyalgia, arthritis, and several herniated disks from the wreck. My gall bladder was removed approximately 7 years ago. I've been unable to identify triggers for the flare-ups. Any insight will be most appreciated!

Costochondritis and Tietze's Syndrome - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your costochondritis and Tietze's syndrome?