Patient Comments: Costochondritis and Tietze's Syndrome - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your costochondritis and Tietze's syndrome?

Comment from: Honey, Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I have been having pain on my left side of my rib cage and breast bone. I have had bouts of costochondritis and Tietze's syndrome over the years. But this time it is lasting about 3 months. I am glad to be able to connect with others that have this problem. The pain is on my side and sometimes under my breast bone. Everybody hang in there you are not alone.

Comment from: Eva, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 23

I have been diagnosed with costochondritis but I believe that it is Tietze's syndrome. I have pain on my left side, in my left breast going towards my back. I also have pain in my shoulders. I have been taking amoxicillin 500 mg but even this does not give me any relief. When I first felt the pain I thought it was my breast but the doctor said that it is in my rib. My left arm gets swollen. I really do not know what to do.

Comment from: libra57, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I was told I have costochondritis, but I think it is Tietze"s syndrome. When an attack starts it is on the right side, it radiates across my chest to the left and into my left arm. It lasts 15 minutes. It is so excruciating I cannot move. I start sweating, my chest swells up to a point I want to take my bra off. I have tried Tums and lots of them, and eating toast bread. I find if I eat a biscuit every morning I cut the rate of having attacks by 75%. I started having these attacks 2 weeks after I had my gallbladder out. That was 2 years ago. I also find if I start bending or twisting too much it will bring on an attack. Once I feel it start there is no stopping it. I just stay still and wait until it passes.

Comment from: Cheryl RN, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I am dealing with pain under my armpit and across the right side and under my breast. I had pneumonia exactly 4 weeks ago, supposedly that was on the left side. I coughed with that, but had no pain in my chest. It was only after I picked up a cold and was coughing from that that the pain started. It feels better some days, then it feels like it flares up. Sometimes naproxen at night makes it feel better. I have no shortness of breath, I still have an occasional dry cough which aggravates the pain. The pain is not in the center of my chest, it"s more under my arm on chest wall and alongside underneath breast. I did have some pain in the breast to my back, I felt like I could draw a straight line from that to my back and that"s where the pain was. Palpation made it worse. This definitely started with my coughing about 3 weeks ago. I"m not sure it is costochondritis/Tietze"s syndrome, but it sounds like it.

Comment from: Juanisha, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

I am a 35 year old single mom of 2 and in September 2013, I was on my way home from work one evening and it hit me, out of nowhere. I was having severe chest pains and I was driving with no one else in the car, thankfully, when I started having the chest pain. I hadn't been sick in about 3 months prior to that, I had pneumonia in June 2013, but I took all of my antibiotics and felt great after that. When this hit me I was feeling great, no aches or pains, I thought I was having a heart attack, my whole left side was numb and I was in so much pain all I could do was cry. It took 2 trips to the hospital before they diagnosed me with costochondritis. Finally I was given steroids and atenolol, put on a nebulizer and an inhaler as needed. After a week of being in bed and missing work I was back on my feet. However, here it is December 2013, and I'm starting to have these symptoms again and I'm wondering if this costochondritis is back.

Comment from: mbwwalz, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 16

Another condition that can cause costochondritis is Ehlers-Danlos syndrome (EDS). Chest pain was the first sign my daughter had when she was younger, it often appeared during the 2nd part of her cycle when women's joints are naturally looser. Both of my daughters and I finally have been diagnosed with EDS and we've all experienced costochondritis. We believe it is associated with our ribs moving around because the costal cartilage has little strength with our EDS. I use Reiki to help calm my daughter when she is having a bad bout of it.

Costochondritis and Tietze's Syndrome - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your costochondritis and Tietze's syndrome?