Patient Comments: Costochondritis and Tietze's Syndrome - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your costochondritis and Tietze's syndrome?

Comment from: libra57, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I was told I have costochondritis, but I think it is Tietze"s syndrome. When an attack starts it is on the right side, it radiates across my chest to the left and into my left arm. It lasts 15 minutes. It is so excruciating I cannot move. I start sweating, my chest swells up to a point I want to take my bra off. I have tried Tums and lots of them, and eating toast bread. I find if I eat a biscuit every morning I cut the rate of having attacks by 75%. I started having these attacks 2 weeks after I had my gallbladder out. That was 2 years ago. I also find if I start bending or twisting too much it will bring on an attack. Once I feel it start there is no stopping it. I just stay still and wait until it passes.

Comment from: Cheryl RN, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I am dealing with pain under my armpit and across the right side and under my breast. I had pneumonia exactly 4 weeks ago, supposedly that was on the left side. I coughed with that, but had no pain in my chest. It was only after I picked up a cold and was coughing from that that the pain started. It feels better some days, then it feels like it flares up. Sometimes naproxen at night makes it feel better. I have no shortness of breath, I still have an occasional dry cough which aggravates the pain. The pain is not in the center of my chest, it"s more under my arm on chest wall and alongside underneath breast. I did have some pain in the breast to my back, I felt like I could draw a straight line from that to my back and that"s where the pain was. Palpation made it worse. This definitely started with my coughing about 3 weeks ago. I"m not sure it is costochondritis/Tietze"s syndrome, but it sounds like it.

Comment from: Juanisha, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

I am a 35 year old single mom of 2 and in September 2013, I was on my way home from work one evening and it hit me, out of nowhere. I was having severe chest pains and I was driving with no one else in the car, thankfully, when I started having the chest pain. I hadn't been sick in about 3 months prior to that, I had pneumonia in June 2013, but I took all of my antibiotics and felt great after that. When this hit me I was feeling great, no aches or pains, I thought I was having a heart attack, my whole left side was numb and I was in so much pain all I could do was cry. It took 2 trips to the hospital before they diagnosed me with costochondritis. Finally I was given steroids and atenolol, put on a nebulizer and an inhaler as needed. After a week of being in bed and missing work I was back on my feet. However, here it is December 2013, and I'm starting to have these symptoms again and I'm wondering if this costochondritis is back.

Comment from: EdgeofInsane, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I started having pains under my right breast when I woke up one morning. Coughing made it worse. It would even hurt when I took a deep breath. As the day went on, it would hurt to walk, move, or even breathe normally. I went to the emergency room where they did a chest X-Ray and EKG. Nothing there and since I'm not at risk for blood clots, the doctor diagnosed me with costochondritis. Still painful but learning to live with it.

Comment from: sookie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I have suffered with this for 3 years now. I've been to 5 doctors with no relief. Some say costochondritis and one said Tietze"s syndrome. My ribs are swollen, I feel like someone is standing on my ribs, the pressure is so great.

Comment from: Jackie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I was just diagnosed with costochondritis after years of suffering with pain everywhere that my bra touched my ribs. I thought it was just breast pain and would rip my bra off by the end of the day. I have been doing acupuncture for the last 10 years for fibromyalgia and rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and never thought of mentioning this pain until I couldn"t stand it any longer. One treatment to the ribs with the acupuncture and the pain is gone!

Costochondritis and Tietze's Syndrome - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your costochondritis and Tietze's syndrome?