Patient Comments: Costochondritis and Tietze's Syndrome - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your costochondritis and Tietze's syndrome?

Comment from: Angry Bird, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 08

I have severe pain to the chest wall, the rib cage, and the sternum and am nauseated to the stomach. It has been over a year now with costochondritis, and now the pain is also in my back down to the tail bone and the pain never stops. It has been like this since I had the joint/bursa shots in October 2016.

Comment from: Gabriela W., 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I have had costochondritis for about eight years now. It all started when I was 18 years old. I kept waking up in the middle of the night with chest pains and feeling like I was having a heart attack. A few months later I decided to go see a doctor about my pains. I was submitted to so many exams just for them to tell me that it was probably my gallbladder. After a good while the doctors decided to remove my gallbladder. They told me that within a few months my pains would be gone. Well, my pains slowed down a lot but thanks to my gallbladder being taking out I started to gain weight. Then one day when I least expected it my pains started again, so I visited the doctors again until I ended up with a heart specialist who was very surprised to see a 20 year old girl sitting in his waiting room. He was the first one to tell me about costochondritis but he never gave me anything for it just told me to check back with my doctor on the problem he believed I had. By then I was sick of doctors so I decided to just work with my pains. I started placing hot rags and bags of ice on my chest as soon as I felt the pains. I changed jobs. I am now a bank teller but sitting down for two or three hours bothers me sometimes. Also some nights when my left arm hurts I have learned to just sleep in a way where my arm is under my body, but as soon as I wake up my pain is back. I've had anxiety attacks because as soon as I feel the pain I get very nervous, especially when I'm driving. I have a huge fear of fainting while I'm driving because of my anxiety attacks. Right now I'm working on that. It's hard waking up every morning not knowing what's next, not knowing if you would even make it back home safe. I hope that everything will get easier to handle and live with as time goes by. I have decided to start taking turmeric pill. My dad has been taking it for a while and he says they work wonders. I am willing to do whatever just to not feel this pains and have anxiety attacks. One of the things that make my chest hurt more is picking up heavy stuff. Also moving heavy stuff. Also when I have my menstrual cycle, and my bras make me hurt more. I just wanted to share my story out there. It's very nice to know that I'm not alone in this. That there is people out there feeling what I feel, and that I'm not crazy for feeling the way I do.

Comment from: Honey, Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I have been having pain on my left side of my rib cage and breast bone. I have had bouts of costochondritis and Tietze's syndrome over the years. But this time it is lasting about 3 months. I am glad to be able to connect with others that have this problem. The pain is on my side and sometimes under my breast bone. Everybody hang in there you are not alone.

Comment from: Eva, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 23

I have been diagnosed with costochondritis but I believe that it is Tietze's syndrome. I have pain on my left side, in my left breast going towards my back. I also have pain in my shoulders. I have been taking amoxicillin 500 mg but even this does not give me any relief. When I first felt the pain I thought it was my breast but the doctor said that it is in my rib. My left arm gets swollen. I really do not know what to do.

Comment from: libra57, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I was told I have costochondritis, but I think it is Tietze"s syndrome. When an attack starts it is on the right side, it radiates across my chest to the left and into my left arm. It lasts 15 minutes. It is so excruciating I cannot move. I start sweating, my chest swells up to a point I want to take my bra off. I have tried Tums and lots of them, and eating toast bread. I find if I eat a biscuit every morning I cut the rate of having attacks by 75%. I started having these attacks 2 weeks after I had my gallbladder out. That was 2 years ago. I also find if I start bending or twisting too much it will bring on an attack. Once I feel it start there is no stopping it. I just stay still and wait until it passes.

Costochondritis and Tietze's Syndrome - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your costochondritis and Tietze's syndrome?