Patient Comments: Costochondritis and Tietze's Syndrome - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your costochondritis and Tietze's syndrome?

Comment from: maleka, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

The real problem started after I had a total thyroidectomy due to a multiple nodules in my thyroid gland. I had severe pain in my chest after the surgery but doctors refused any link between two phenomena. A chest wall surgeon send me for bone scan and so on but all were well. At last he said I had Tietze's syndrome and it is for some unknown underlying autoimmune disease. I feel pain in chest and sometimes in back and no drug really helps.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I have mild Tietze's syndrome. It started 6 months ago and I stopped lifting weights and suffered from a shoulder sprain. Suddenly I was having chest pain every day! I finally diagnosed myself which was confirmed by a doctor, after being misdiagnosed for a pectoral tear. Stress reduction seems to help, but I am looking for permanent relief.

Comment from: EdgeofInsane, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I started having pains under my right breast when I woke up one morning. Coughing made it worse. It would even hurt when I took a deep breath. As the day went on, it would hurt to walk, move, or even breathe normally. I went to the emergency room where they did a chest X-Ray and EKG. Nothing there and since I'm not at risk for blood clots, the doctor diagnosed me with costochondritis. Still painful but learning to live with it.

Comment from: sookie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I have suffered with this for 3 years now. I've been to 5 doctors with no relief. Some say costochondritis and one said Tietze"s syndrome. My ribs are swollen, I feel like someone is standing on my ribs, the pressure is so great.

Comment from: Jackie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I was just diagnosed with costochondritis after years of suffering with pain everywhere that my bra touched my ribs. I thought it was just breast pain and would rip my bra off by the end of the day. I have been doing acupuncture for the last 10 years for fibromyalgia and rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and never thought of mentioning this pain until I couldn"t stand it any longer. One treatment to the ribs with the acupuncture and the pain is gone!

Comment from: marigold_34, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I thought I was having a heart attack! I have never had such severe pain in my life. Since I am a diabetic they were not sure it wasn't a heart attack either since it is different symptoms with diabetics. I still have the pain and am trying to take care of my two-year-old granddaughter. I can barely lift her and I have had this for four weeks. I had never heard costochondritis and it is extremely painful. I also am afraid to take long walks because I was at the park alone with my granddaughter when I had the episode. It was frightening because I had to walk back home with her to get help. The worst pain I have ever had and every time I do something exercise related and picking up my granddaughter is like an exercise of agony. I want to be able to walk again without fear and to exercise again.

Comment from: sunshinegirl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I was diagnosed with Costochondritis/Tietze's this week. I am also a Fibromyalgia patient which through research I've found that "we" as fibro patients are more apt to have these conditions. I went to the ER on Monday and received a full work up-EKG, chest X-ray, test for blood clots, and was diagnosed with Pleurisy- which did fit some of my symptoms, but was getting no better with the simple treatment of a 4mg steroid dose pack. I followed up with a doctor today (Friday) due to getting no better and being in intense-severe pain, and having no sleep due to this all week. The doctor today was much more thorough, and did a physical exam and stated he could feel the swelling in my chest. He administered a steroid shot, gave me a higher oral steroid, and prescribed anti-inflammatory drug - Indomethacin. am still in A LOT of pain! Haven't worked since the ER visit on Monday, and don't know how I will as just laying in bed is killing me! No meds have helped pain so far. Hoping for more answers and suggestions, but have seen some interesting natural remedies-e.g. glucosamine, ginger, etc. Good luck to all!!

Costochondritis and Tietze's Syndrome - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your costochondritis and Tietze's syndrome?