Patient Comments: Costochondritis and Tietze's Syndrome - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your costochondritis and Tietze's syndrome?

Comment from: marigold_34, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I thought I was having a heart attack! I have never had such severe pain in my life. Since I am a diabetic they were not sure it wasn't a heart attack either since it is different symptoms with diabetics. I still have the pain and am trying to take care of my two-year-old granddaughter. I can barely lift her and I have had this for four weeks. I had never heard costochondritis and it is extremely painful. I also am afraid to take long walks because I was at the park alone with my granddaughter when I had the episode. It was frightening because I had to walk back home with her to get help. The worst pain I have ever had and every time I do something exercise related and picking up my granddaughter is like an exercise of agony. I want to be able to walk again without fear and to exercise again.

Comment from: sunshinegirl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I was diagnosed with Costochondritis/Tietze's this week. I am also a Fibromyalgia patient which through research I've found that "we" as fibro patients are more apt to have these conditions. I went to the ER on Monday and received a full work up-EKG, chest X-ray, test for blood clots, and was diagnosed with Pleurisy- which did fit some of my symptoms, but was getting no better with the simple treatment of a 4mg steroid dose pack. I followed up with a doctor today (Friday) due to getting no better and being in intense-severe pain, and having no sleep due to this all week. The doctor today was much more thorough, and did a physical exam and stated he could feel the swelling in my chest. He administered a steroid shot, gave me a higher oral steroid, and prescribed anti-inflammatory drug - Indomethacin. am still in A LOT of pain! Haven't worked since the ER visit on Monday, and don't know how I will as just laying in bed is killing me! No meds have helped pain so far. Hoping for more answers and suggestions, but have seen some interesting natural remedies-e.g. glucosamine, ginger, etc. Good luck to all!!

Comment from: wtfover, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 19

I am a paraplegic transitioning from a full time wheelchair to part time using forearm crutches. Apparently using the crutches caused the costochondritis. I thought I was having a heart attack! I went to ER in an ambulance and was given fentanyl several times which eventually helped with the pain. Now anytime I use the crutches I'm at risk for an attack, it's very frustrating as I've been working so hard for 3 years to get out of my chair. I have found that Lidoderm patches help; I normally use them for my back but discovered they work for the costochondritis also. Has anyone been able to find an exercise routine that works with this condition or any exercise that can improve it?

Comment from: laidupbeautician, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I was diagnosed with costochondritis this past week. I honestly thought I was having a heart attack when I first experienced costochondritis. I am a beautician who works 40+ hours a week. I'm starting to think I may have to choose a new career. I love my job and I'm hoping someone out there may have a natural way of healing. I can't take my prescriptions, which I feel do help and work. No work; no money. I'm open to any suggestions.

Comment from: sunshineaway, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I was just diagnosed with costochondritis. I had never heard of this before. I thought I was having a heart attack. I went to the ER and was given an EKG, lung X-ray, CT scan, and ultrasound of my stomach. I also had a blood test. Then I was told it is costochondritis. The doctor prescribed Valium to relax my muscles because I was getting spasms. This is my second day and I am feeling better than yesterday, that's for sure. I really don't want to get into taking all kinds of drugs, so I am trying to find out what herbal remedies would help my condition. Meanwhile, I will continue with the Valium, as it seems to be helping.

Costochondritis and Tietze's Syndrome - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your costochondritis and Tietze's syndrome?