Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Side Effects

What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?

Comment from: Ethel, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I had a shoulder cortisone injection two days ago. My face ears and nose are red and I have a headache and facial pain. This is the first time I have ever had a reaction. The pills give me red cheeks but not as bad as this.

Comment from: Concerened, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 08

I have bursitis in my right hip. I've been receiving cortisone injections for the moderate to severe pain from the same doctor for six years and they've always worked but each time the relief doesn't last as long as the previous shot. The last shot only lasted 5 months so I received a new one last Tuesday on 2/2/16. It worked at first but 3 hours later I was experiencing intense burning shooting pain and it kept getting worse. I took Advil to help relieve the pain and inflammation but it didn't work. I went to the emergency room that night and they gave me a shot of morphine and 2 Valium so I could sleep and a prescription of Norco. My doctor has no answer as to what happened. I was laid up all day the next day and the pain was excruciating even with taking Norco every 6 hours. Two days later the pain is finally subsiding. I'm wondering what caused that adverse reaction. Maybe I'll never know.

Comment from: vegdwk, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I told my doctor that I had bad reaction to prednisone. He said the cortisone shots stay in the knee and do not travel. They sure do! I had the worst headache ever, I could not sleep, could not breath, had mood swings, paranoia, and heart racing, When I called my doctor they said they never heard of any reactions to cortisone.

Comment from: Suzy-Q, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I tore the meniscus in my right knee and left knee is bone on bone so I had a cortisone injection in each knee. My face flushed, thought heart would pound out of my chest, and these effects lasted 3 days. My knees felt better for about 3 weeks. Then right knee popped and I screamed at the pain, and right knee is back to hurting and I can only do stairs one foot at a time. Guess I will consider surgery next, no more cortisone for me.

Comment from: Suezette, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

As a result of getting the cortisone injections for a surgical scar in the anterior area of my neck, the tendons have weakened giving me a sagging cow's neck appearance.

Comment from: pmat, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

My knee is bone to bone and had not had a cortisone injection in about two years. I received the injection and everything was okay for about a day. I went to walk on the second day and my leg snapped. I have wrapped it with a witch hazel to see if it will stop the pain. If not I will call the doctor tomorrow.

Comment from: cutie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 22

I had cortisone shot many times on both feet different times but for the big toe due to gout. It always has helped tremendously. Yesterday I had a shot for gout, and had night sweats and flushed cheeks for the very first time. Nothing serious, but the shot helps. Rather than taking all those pills so the attack can subside in the end I take a shot.

Comment from: vegdwk, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 21

I got an injection in my right knee and this is 5 hours later. I have a bad headache. I do have in intolerance to methylprednisolone so I wonder if this is a reaction.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.