Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Side Effects

What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?

Comment from: atrocks, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I had a cortisone injection in my right hip less than a week ago and since then have had hot flashes and difficulty sleeping for the past week but it is improving. My stomach is upset and I feel bloated and burp a lot. I noticed others had gastrointestinal symptoms too. I also feel a bit dizzy and out of it.

Comment from: Lucy Lou, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I had a cortisone injection to my right hip this morning at 10.30 am. By 5 pm I had a raging headache. I am not one that gets a headache. I have drunk heaps of water and taken paracetamol with 30 mg of codeine. At 10 pm my headache has eased. My hip is throbbing, however! I was advised it may take up to 10 days to work! Fingers crossed!

Comment from: Sherry, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I had a cortisone injection in my right knee. I have had severe pain for months. It has been two hours now and I feel great relief. I have no side effects, so I am delighted I had it done. This my second time. It helped a lot.

Comment from: Merbat, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

Monday I had a shot of cortisone in each knee. I have osteoarthritis in my knees, and have been overusing them, as my husband was recently diagnosed with cancer, and could not do much. A few hours later the pain and stiffness started, and my left knee (the bad one) felt like it would give out, I had to hold on to sit down. Then after sitting and working for 5 hours I got up and my lower legs and feet were very swollen; everything felt stiff like my skin might break apart like a sausage. Getting on the scale I also saw I had gained 5 pounds in one day! Today (Wednesday) my face was very red, cheeks swollen, and legs are still swollen. Then I had diarrhea, and I have history of inflammatory bowel. I would never have another set of these. Calling the nurse she got back to me and said it will go away. Why was I never warned of any side effects! I had had two previous shots, but only on the left knee, one at a time. Stress, pain, inflammation, and fear; I was/am feeling anxious, and fearful, never again. I have inflammation, redness, and swelling.

Comment from: emagindat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 08

I got a cortisone shot in my knee 2 days ago for arthritis pain and within minutes my knee started feeling better. However, the next day my face was red and hot to the touch and I felt like I was coming down with a cold. The other symptoms went away by last night but the face is still red; bring in the clowns!

Comment from: Trish, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 08

I had a hip cortisone injection today and now at 9:00 at night I'm feeling really hot like hot flashes! I have had 3 back injections and found it was the same way with those! Just wondering if anyone else had experienced this. Maybe it is a side effect of the shot! I haven't read of this side effect anywhere.

Comment from: KB, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I had a cortisone shot a week and a half ago and have been suffering from headaches and anxiety since then. My pain has improved, so that's good. I've had cortisone shots before and not had this reaction.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.