Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Side Effects

What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?

Comment from: been there done that, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I have been getting cortisone shots every three months for four years in my left sacroiliac joint. The symptoms I've had are sweating, hot flushes of the upper body, painful red/purple face on one side of face that required cold packs for about twelve hours, insomnia, heart racing, headache, nausea, and vomiting. Soreness and swelling at the injection site required ice packs for several days. I had cramping and crawling feeling in arms and legs. These have happened separately and in groups and several times all together. The shots have always worked for the pain though.

Comment from: Mary, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I have had many cortisone injections since an injury in 1999 and have never felt bad until the one I received yesterday. It was an anterior approach right hip injection. I am burning up without any fever, my face is bright red, I am very nauseous, it hurts to eat and I have a very bad head ache. These side effects are terrible. The injection otherwise has help to get rid of my pain. So I would say a day or two of side effects is worth the relief from the pain that I have been dealing with since 1999.

Comment from: LSMom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 27

I had a cortisone shot in my knee in March of this year. This was the first time I ever experienced side effects other than the flare a few hours after the shot. My heart raced, my face was hot all the time, I had a headache, my blood pressure was up and my blood sugar was up (not diabetic). The knee pain was rough for the first 24 hours, but got better after that. The other side effects I mentioned took about 4 days to completely fade. Now fast forward to yesterday when I got another cortisone shot in the same knee. I got the shot in the morning and felt ok, just a little soreness in the knee and upper thigh. Last night was a whole different story. My heart rate was up, couldn't sleep, headache, face felt hot, felt jittery, knee/thigh soreness. I woke up this morning feeling the same way. I am hoping that this goes away soon! I should mention that the shot was for patella fat pad impingement.

Comment from: Lucy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 27

I also suffer from side effects after steroid shots. My left side of my body swells, I have severe muscle cramps, headaches, etc. I also found out I have severe magnesium loss. On my own I researched and found out I needed large amounts of water every day. Then I take magnesium, calcium, vitamin D, vitamin B12, as well as leg cramp pills with quinine, this helps the most! Doctors won't admit that there are six effects to the steroid shots! But since I find a huge amount of pain relief from them, I will put up with the side effects! Pain killers hardly touch the joint pain at all! So for me it's put up or shut up! Good luck to all you other pain sufferers! Maybe someone else has something more to add about what to use!

Comment from: sweety reedy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

My cortisone shot was in my hip. The shot was pretty much painless. I was not told that I could possibly have insomnia. I did not sleep all night. I surprisingly did have a lot of energy the next day. I was also not told to take it easy, and so I rode my bike on a nice ride the next day. The next day or so I ended up with pain in front of my leg in the groin area which did go away. The cortisone shot has helped greatly. I do have a small amount of pain but am mostly happy that I can sleep with no pain.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.