Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Side Effects

What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?

Comment from: Lisa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

My life has been terrible ever since I received my cortisone injection in my tailbone. This was given to me 3 years ago and I have been in horrible pain ever since that day. I now have to be under the care of a pain manager as I cannot sit for more than 10 minutes at a time, the only time I get any relief is when I sleep. I am only 51 years of age and every day I hope to just die so I can get out of this misery that I am living in. I don't suggest anyone to get this injection, I now feel as if someone took a bar and hammered it upwards from my tailbone up into my lower back.

Comment from: Techgirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I went to the (emergency room) ER for the first time ever this past Saturday with pain that I thought was a kidney stone. After test, it showed I had a cyst on my right ovary. On Monday, I still had lots of pain and my gynecologist sent me back to the ER for re-evaluation. This time a leaking cyst on my right ovary. White blood count was up and running fever off and on. I was sent home with pain medicines and told it would resolve itself. I have to work and I was in the bed for 4 days. Finally I went back to work where I stood on my feet for 9 hours and when I got home I was miserable plus my fever had shot back up. Can't they surgically remove a cyst! I don't get paid if I don't work!

Comment from: Thunderdome621, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 21

Before yesterday, I'd only one knee surgery back in 2005 due to a fall while running the bases playing in a father/son baseball game. I tore my meniscus and partially tore my PCL (posterior cruciate ligament). Over the years the pain increased, so I would get cortisone shots 2 to 3 times a year. They yielded some relief, but not much. In July, 2015, an MRI revealed a badly torn meniscus, cyst and a large effusion in the knee. I just had surgery yesterday 10/15/15 on the knee. The ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) was fiery red, and the meniscus tear was trimmed. What was shocking to me was the pictures that the doctor showed me of the crystal deposits from the cortisone shots. He got those out as well, but said that they were causing some of the pain, along with an inflamed ACL and meniscus tear. The reason I'm writing on this forum is to make people aware of the buildup that can occur over time from multiple cortisone shots. The unfortunate thing is they lead to gouty arthritis, pain, and the only way I'm aware of to get rid of them is through surgery. You may want to think twice about multiple cortisone injections; especially if they aren't providing relief. Good Luck to everyone.

Comment from: Tippy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I had 2 cortisone injections in my neck last year, the pain was off the charts for the next 5 days then died down. It never took all the pain away but did help. Side effects were what felt like heart palpitations, severe nausea, insomnia, and pain started in my left big toe. When I told the doctor what was happening he said they have nothing to do with the shots, I don't think that's true. I don't know why my big toe would suddenly start hurting but it did and still does. Just 3 weeks ago in shear desperation I decided to have a shot in my right shoulder, I have had off the charts severe pain for over 4 years. The doctor put 2 injections in my shoulder and this time I've only felt a little sick, plus he did tell me you can experience side effects, flare up, etc., and listed them all. I appreciate him doing that instead of making you think you're nuts imagining side effects.

Comment from: FLUSH FACE, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

I have had cortisone injections in my thumb for several years, and sometimes I get the one sided face flush. But this time I had my total face on fire, with a feeling of sinus infection and achy teeth and cheeks. The only different thing was that I got a flu shot the day before, so perhaps there was an interaction. It was very hurtful and annoying on this first day. I had a slight headache as well, but my thumbs are fab!

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.