Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Side effects

What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?

Comment from: Lucky51220, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I had a cortisone injection at the base of my thumb joint for osteoarthritis on Wednesday. Today is Monday, almost a week later and today I work and notice all my muscles, including chest, arms, back, legs hurt as if my body is one big black and blue mark. All my muscles hurt, most of my body hurt just using a washcloth and talking a shower. I never had this before. Not sure if it is the injection but can"t think what else. Originally injection caused more pain and so far has not helped original pain.

Comment from: Lizadolittle, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I have degenerative disc disorder (DDD) in my L4/L5/S1, and bulging discs. I have suffered for 14 years and have tried everything to help with the pain. Yesterday I was given an epidural corticosteroid injection and all I did was sleep. Today I have an amazing headache and have also had palpitations which have subsided now. Another thing I have been experiencing is cold/hot sweats and my stomach feels like I have done hundreds of sit ups but to be fair if it helps with my pain I think I would have it again. They are small things to put up with if it means no pain. No side effects were mentioned to me by the consultant apart from the headache.

Comment from: Terry, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I had cortisone shots in both hips 2 days ago for bursitis. I experienced light headedness right away. Today I am still feeling a disassociated feeling. Like I am not always sure quite where I am or where things are supposed to be. I am pre-diabetic and just checked my blood sugar and am at 155. Not extremely high. The pain in my right hip is gone, the left is much better, mainly just an ache now.

Comment from: KIMSZI, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I had an injection of cortisone into my foot yesterday for planar fasciitis. I have had a sleepless night, hot flush on my cheeks, dry stinging eyes and feel nauseated. No one told me there may be some side effects from this drug, no warning at all was given.

Comment from: Nature girl, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

Two days after receiving cortisone injection in L4 and L5 of my lumbar spine, I started with stomach pain that got worse after eating and experienced severe mood change (very agitated and angry). On the 3rd and 4th days I was extremely sick, I had tightness in chest, extreme blood pressure elevation, stomach pain, and headache. On the 5th day I ended up in the emergency room for 9 hours with same symptoms and my blood pressure went as high as 230/115. I am on 9th day and still have problem with stomach, flushing, red rash, blood pressure still fluctuating too high. This is the last shot of cortisone for me.

Comment from: Amity, 75 or over (Patient) Published: June 02

After cortisone injections in both knees, a day later my face is red and hot.

Comment from: jerryp, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I have rosacea, it is a condition that my face turns red from different things, flushing like, when I"m in a warm room. Well, when I got my cortisone shot my face turned bright red and inflamed.

Comment from: Teacher, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I have received cortisone shots for tendonitis in both elbows and they have eliminated the pain for 3-5 months. They have been very helpful.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a Cortisone Injection.
Cortisone Injection - Knee And Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee