Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Side Effects

What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?

Comment from: tigger, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

Years ago I had a cortisone injection in my shoulder, had no side effects and it fixed the issue. Three and a half months ago I got two cortisone injections, one in each thumb for bone on bone arthritis. The first few hours I was in severe pain, which got better and disappeared. But then all the other weird things started happening. My blood pressure (BP) spiked and my head felt like it was going to blow off. The BP has finally started going down but it would spike to the point that I could feel it. My sugar number was a bit high in a recent physical. Gastric nightmares with gurgling, bloating, gas, irritable bowel syndrome symptoms, I came down with the flu, ended up in the emergency room because my potassium levels dropped very low. The first month or so I suffered almost daily panic attacks, something that hadn't happened in a few years, and insomnia. I had a constant low level of anxiety. It did take the thumb pain from a daily 10 down to a daily 3. But I'll never do it again. I'm still suffering with many of the above symptoms.

Comment from: Rachel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I had a steroid shot in my shoulder for bursitis pain and the next 2 mornings my cheeks were flushed although I felt fine. I had trouble getting to sleep last night which is very unusual for me.

Comment from: grannymag, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I had a cortisone injection in my shoulder. I am a diabetic on a pump. I have been fairly well controlled for 50 years but my blood sugar went through the roof beyond 30 and I could not get it down in spite of increasing doses of insulin. Eventually I had to go to Accident and Emergency as it was the weekend. I was told it was a reaction to the injection. By then I was dehydrated, feeling very dizzy, and had palpitations. My mouth was also extremely painful. My shoulder is much better.

Comment from: weasel, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 19

I had been suffering from debilitating rashes on chest and back, as well as others spots. Pimply things behind my ears and on the back of my head, so super itchy I couldn't sleep. I saw my primary doctor and we tried a couple different things. Nothing worked. I was sure I had dermatomyositis, because all my symptoms matched what I was able to find out. Long story short, I was referred to dermatologist, who said I was wrong, all I had was dermatitis that had taken over my body due to dry skin and scratching. He injected my arm with a cortisone shot. Since then I have been really kind of sick. Cramping in bowel, urinal pain, needing to urinate constantly (when nothing was there to really expel), heart racing, feeling flu-ish (temperature was 99.7), lightheaded, and spaced out. I get chills, and need to be under blanket. I'm hoping this will subside soon (shot was 6 days ago), but if this is what I get for a cortisone injection, I may just say no next time.

Comment from: jean, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

Western medicine does not recognize a yeast overgrowth. I mean when it gets in the blood it is much more serious than a vaginal infection. After my 1st cortisone shot, I felt sick for about 10 days. The steroids affect the adrenal glands, make one's blood sugar go up/down. I have a life-long problem with Candida or yeast. I have had to be on Diflucan (systemic antifungal) for 3 months. No sugar, no simple carbohydrates, etc. I itched all over. My current woman doctor has been supportive, but you may not find a doctor who even believes candidiasis exists. Every drug has some side effect unfortunately. Do some research and good luck!

Comment from: DesertDave, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 29

I am on hormone therapy for metastatic prostate cancer, the purpose for this is to slow down or stop any further progress of the disease. Yesterday, April 27th, I was given a cortisone injection in each knee, which I've had before with no ill effect. My concern now is that if cortisone is a steroid, and if it negated my hormone therapy. I wonder if cortisone increases testosterone.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.