Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Side Effects

What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?

Comment from: mr.C, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 25

I had a cortisone shot yesterday for shoulder bursitis. After sleeping for about an hour and a half I woke up with the worst pain I can remember having. My shoulder hurt and that is why I got the shot. I don't think I will ever get one again. The pain is so extreme that I haven't been able to go back to sleep since. It's been 36 hours so far. I hope the pain goes away soon. I feel like a zombie now. At least I was able to sleep before. Exercise caution getting this shot please!

Comment from: chonch, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 25

After I got the cortisone injection in my elbow, I felt a little sore but nothing really bad. I went to sleep that night and at 3 am I got the hiccups for 5 hours. I couldn't sleep. I went to work where I had the hiccups for about an hour and it went away all by itself. Four days later my elbow is bright red like a tomato and it is very sore.

Comment from: Jonerz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

After receiving cortisone injections in my wrist/hand to treat de Quervain's tenosynovitis I noticed several months later I began developing small dark purplish bruises on that same wrist/hand without any significant bumping around the area. I had the injections almost 7 months ago and continue to get these bruises. I don't get these splotches anywhere else on my body so I assume they are directly related to the injections.

Comment from: frank, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 07

Every time I get cortisone injection in my knee I get hiccups the next day, I wonder if it ever happens to others.

Comment from: Teresa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

I got a cortisone injection two days ago in my knee. Yesterday, my cheeks became hot and bright red, hot 101 degree hot. I feel tired, but am sleeping horrible. This is my first reaction like this. Hope it gets better soon.

Comment from: YvonneBG, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I received a cortisone Injection in my wrist in January 2016. Ever since the injection I occasionally get large purple/red spots (bruising) in the general area of my injection. I do not hit my wrist or anything, these can be caused by something as simple as my sleeve rubbing against the skin. Currently I have some blotchy redness in the same general area of the injection (over a year later) with some sensitivity.

Comment from: casandra, Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I had a cortisone injection on my knee. My cheeks are red so it is obvious my blood pressure must be high. Also I could not sleep. I have tried to drink a lot of water to see if it leaves my system but two days now and no change.

Comment from: DLH, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I had a cortisone shot in my left knee. Only side effects were a sleepless night and headache. The knee feels better.

Comment from: Betz, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I had cortisone shot in each hip on a Monday afternoon at approximately 2:30 pm. I felt a little extra tired on Tuesday night at around 10 pm but stayed up until midnight anyway because I don't sleep well. I went in to the bathroom to take night time medicines and saw in the mirror the right side of my face was all red, very swollen and hot. My ear was also hot and red. It's now noon on Wednesday and the redness isn't as pronounced bit it is still very warm and I feel yucky.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.