Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Side Effects

What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?

Comment from: AmyC, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I received a cortisone shot in my knee yesterday. Today I woke up with bad headache and my cheeks were extremely red. My knee is feeling a little better, but I heard it takes a few days for the medicine to kick in! Hopefully the red cheeks will go away soon.

Comment from: BB, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

One month ago I had an SI (sacroiliac) joint cortisone injection for therapeutic and diagnostic reasons due to hip, leg, lower back, and groin pain. Since then I have flushing, sweating, and some nausea. It did not relieve my pain so my orthopedist ordered an MRI which showed herniation at L4-L5 and L5-S1 levels. In 2 days I am scheduled for injections in the above joints. If successful, he will schedule a nerve ablation. If not, he'll schedule a nerve block. I hope something works because I have been out of work on leave for 2 months so far. I am a therapist in a nursing and rehabilitation facility and we have no light duty.

Comment from: Sàndy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I suffered severe muscle weakness, severe headaches, increased pain, vomiting, randomly collapsing, mood swings, and was unable to work for over a week after cortisone injection, where before I was able to tolerate pain and able to work.

Comment from: tigger, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

Years ago I had a cortisone injection in my shoulder, had no side effects and it fixed the issue. Three and a half months ago I got two cortisone injections, one in each thumb for bone on bone arthritis. The first few hours I was in severe pain, which got better and disappeared. But then all the other weird things started happening. My blood pressure (BP) spiked and my head felt like it was going to blow off. The BP has finally started going down but it would spike to the point that I could feel it. My sugar number was a bit high in a recent physical. Gastric nightmares with gurgling, bloating, gas, irritable bowel syndrome symptoms, I came down with the flu, ended up in the emergency room because my potassium levels dropped very low. The first month or so I suffered almost daily panic attacks, something that hadn't happened in a few years, and insomnia. I had a constant low level of anxiety. It did take the thumb pain from a daily 10 down to a daily 3. But I'll never do it again. I'm still suffering with many of the above symptoms.

Comment from: Rachel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I had a steroid shot in my shoulder for bursitis pain and the next 2 mornings my cheeks were flushed although I felt fine. I had trouble getting to sleep last night which is very unusual for me.

Comment from: DesertDave, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 29

I am on hormone therapy for metastatic prostate cancer, the purpose for this is to slow down or stop any further progress of the disease. Yesterday, April 27th, I was given a cortisone injection in each knee, which I've had before with no ill effect. My concern now is that if cortisone is a steroid, and if it negated my hormone therapy. I wonder if cortisone increases testosterone.

Comment from: grannymag, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I had a cortisone injection in my shoulder. I am a diabetic on a pump. I have been fairly well controlled for 50 years but my blood sugar went through the roof beyond 30 and I could not get it down in spite of increasing doses of insulin. Eventually I had to go to Accident and Emergency as it was the weekend. I was told it was a reaction to the injection. By then I was dehydrated, feeling very dizzy, and had palpitations. My mouth was also extremely painful. My shoulder is much better.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.