Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Side Effects

What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?

Comment from: LaurieJ, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 31

I have had tinnitus since childhood. First I had meningitis, then constant ear infections; I now have 3 distinct sounds, crickets, ringing and static sound, which are worse in my left ear. My tinnitus 'clicks' when I am getting an ear infection. These noises have gotten worse over past several months and I was just diagnosed with a pineal gland tumor. I have tried every medicine and yes, some dubious snake oil cures, to no avail.

Comment from: Shar, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

Four days ago I fell down wooden stairs landing on my tailbone. The pain was extreme and immediate. I started blacking out but somehow managed to drag myself up the stairs and into the recovery position. My phone was nearby, but I had trouble ringing the emergency services as I kept blacking out. When I did, I just lay there till they came. They tried to get me to sit up which was impossible and took me to hospital where x-rays showed a badly broken coccyx. Strong painkillers were administered and I was told it would take two months to recover from it. Because I live alone they kept me in overnight. Friends and neighbors have been wonderful, bringing food, walking the dog, and vacuuming. I feel very lucky that the fracture wasn't centimeters higher up which could have meant loss of the use of my legs.

Comment from: Gillian, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

After having been told for eight years that I have diabetes almost to the stage of needing injectable insulin, my doctor performed a peptide blood test on me, found my insulin was very high, and that my diabetes is producing plenty of insulin! I am not diabetic, I am insulin resistant. Now I have to rethink my medications. Why am I taking glipizide and Januvia to force my pancreas to manufacture insulin if I already am above the normal scale for insulin!

Comment from: Lucky51220, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I had a cortisone injection at the base of my thumb joint for osteoarthritis on Wednesday. Today is Monday, almost a week later and today I work and notice all my muscles, including chest, arms, back, legs hurt as if my body is one big black and blue mark. All my muscles hurt, most of my body hurt just using a washcloth and talking a shower. I never had this before. Not sure if it is the injection but can"t think what else. Originally injection caused more pain and so far has not helped original pain.

Comment from: Lizadolittle, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I have degenerative disc disorder (DDD) in my L4/L5/S1, and bulging discs. I have suffered for 14 years and have tried everything to help with the pain. Yesterday I was given an epidural corticosteroid injection and all I did was sleep. Today I have an amazing headache and have also had palpitations which have subsided now. Another thing I have been experiencing is cold/hot sweats and my stomach feels like I have done hundreds of sit ups but to be fair if it helps with my pain I think I would have it again. They are small things to put up with if it means no pain. No side effects were mentioned to me by the consultant apart from the headache.

Comment from: Amity, 75 or over (Patient) Published: June 02

After cortisone injections in both knees, a day later my face is red and hot.

Comment from: jerryp, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I have rosacea, it is a condition that my face turns red from different things, flushing like, when I"m in a warm room. Well, when I got my cortisone shot my face turned bright red and inflamed.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.