Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Side Effects

What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?

Comment from: vegdwk, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I told my doctor that I had bad reaction to prednisone. He said the cortisone shots stay in the knee and do not travel. They sure do! I had the worst headache ever, I could not sleep, could not breath, had mood swings, paranoia, and heart racing, When I called my doctor they said they never heard of any reactions to cortisone.

Comment from: Suzy-Q, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I tore the meniscus in my right knee and left knee is bone on bone so I had a cortisone injection in each knee. My face flushed, thought heart would pound out of my chest, and these effects lasted 3 days. My knees felt better for about 3 weeks. Then right knee popped and I screamed at the pain, and right knee is back to hurting and I can only do stairs one foot at a time. Guess I will consider surgery next, no more cortisone for me.

Comment from: Suezette, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

As a result of getting the cortisone injections for a surgical scar in the anterior area of my neck, the tendons have weakened giving me a sagging cow's neck appearance.

Comment from: cutie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 22

I had cortisone shot many times on both feet different times but for the big toe due to gout. It always has helped tremendously. Yesterday I had a shot for gout, and had night sweats and flushed cheeks for the very first time. Nothing serious, but the shot helps. Rather than taking all those pills so the attack can subside in the end I take a shot.

Comment from: vegdwk, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 21

I got an injection in my right knee and this is 5 hours later. I have a bad headache. I do have in intolerance to methylprednisolone so I wonder if this is a reaction.

Comment from: pmat, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

My knee is bone to bone and had not had a cortisone injection in about two years. I received the injection and everything was okay for about a day. I went to walk on the second day and my leg snapped. I have wrapped it with a witch hazel to see if it will stop the pain. If not I will call the doctor tomorrow.

Comment from: Chris, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I had a cortisone injection for very painful bursitis in my upper thigh. It did definitely reduce the pain. But it did affect my sleep, I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't go back to sleep. It also increased my pulse rate.

Comment from: corrine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I had a week of cortisone injections and since having them my face has bloated. I have stopped all tablet forms and not taken any more injections. I wonder how long it will take for this bloating to go down.

Comment from: Ironpen47, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I had a cortisone injection in my arthritic left knee. About 3 hours after the injection I had a headache that lasted about 8 hours. Tylenol did not help. Then I went to bed and was itching and scratching. I got up in the morning and looked in the mirror, I was bright red on my upper arms and lower legs. Seems I had an unusual allergic reaction to the shot. I took Benadryl and after a day it cleared up. I am feeling much better, and my knee is much less sore. So a bit of a price to pay for relief, but right now it is worth it!

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.