Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Side Effects

What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?

Comment from: Angeles, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

Today I had a cortisone shot mixed with Novocain. I experience increased heat on my buttocks and I am having a terrible stomach ache and a head ache. It is 11:00 PM and I cannot go to sleep.

Comment from: sjf0820, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I received a cortisone injection for bulging disc pain in cervical spine. This was the second injection. The first injection, which was 8 months ago resulted in an indentation around the injection site, but the relief I received from the injection was worth it. This second shot was a bad shot. A few hours after receiving the injection, my heart was racing, I had palpitations, and it upset my stomach. I suffer from GERD; the injection caused a mild attack. I felt drained and fatigued. All night I felt sick. I was afraid to go to sleep because of the racing heart. The next day I was agitated and still felt sick, but as the day progressed, the side effects began to subside. It was all a bit scary, but at least the pain subsided again. Just hoping the injection will last.

Comment from: Juliusa, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I have had facet pain for the last 14 years on and off. Prolotherapy helped for many years. I also took low dose naltrexone and had a good year of no pain. Then again my facet pain started back. I had a flare. I had 2 steroid injections and last one was 1 month ago. I feel great, no pain. However I am noticing my heart rate is elevated. This could be due to stress and the shots. I will go to a cardiologist to have a work up. I am thankful to be facet joint pain free from the steroid (cortisone) injections.

Comment from: Vince, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 17

I seem to bruise a lot easier than before the cortisone injections. I discover nasty looking bruises that I don't remember what could have caused them. I rarely had bruises before, and also when I blow my nose there is a tint of blood.

Comment from: MC, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I had my cortisone shot yesterday for trigger thumb. This is my second shot for that. I have had other cortisone shots for tendonitis in my elbows and forearms. Each time my face turns bright red, like sunburn and I get terrible hot flashes. My face was soaked yesterday. I had a hard time sleeping last night. I had insomnia, although I was very tired. I typically never had these side effects so drastic. Today I have a slight headache.

Comment from: ccid, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

Yesterday I had an intra-articular steroid injection in my hip to tread adhesive capsulitis. The actual cortisone shot wasn't very painful however within 2 hours my lower back was extremely achy and still aches as I write this at 9 am the next morning. I also developed a bad headache last night around 5 hours after the injection. The headache is gone this morning. I also woke up feeling very agitated and jittery. My hands were slightly shaking. It seems to be dissipating as the morning progresses. Hope this information is useful.

Comment from: BONNIE, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I had bad knee pain and giving a cortisone injection helped a lot, but I have type 1 diabetes. My sugar went up to 300 the doctor never told me this would happen, and I can't get it down.

Comment from: Swedehill, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: February 10

My mother had injections in both of her knees and two days later experienced flushed, red and swollen face, water retention, night sweats and irregular heartbeats. She decided to take Benadryl which seemed to help. Luckily after a rough night she has now expelled the excess fluid, but her blood pressure (BP) rose to 180 over 90. She increased her BP medicines and now it is back down to 140 over 70. Very scary situation but she seems to be returning back to normal. She had the same shot two years ago but only in one knee without this type or reaction, so perhaps she cannot get both knees done at the same time.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.