Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Side effects

What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?

Comment from: Ladylucb, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I had a cortisone injection in my neck for severe arthritis on August 2, 2013. I had one before in March, with no side effects. A few days after this shot, I had bad pain in my lower back and sides. I went to the doctor and they had blood examined for kidney, bladder, and liver. The tests came back negative. My back pain is terrible and now goes up the back as well as lower and sides. I have not lifted anything. The only thing different I have had is this injection. I mentioned it to my doctor, but she didn't think that had anything to do with my pain.

Comment from: rosie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have had several cortisone injections. One in my sacroiliac joint (SI) joint, the next day in my shoulder for rotator cuff pain. After the injection in my SI joint my blood pressure was elevated, I had it checked the next day after the second injection and it was even higher. My face is very flushed which is natural, but this time I have etching all over, which is driving me crazy. I do not have red bumps, but am scratching all the time from my head to feet.

Comment from: Anklet, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I received a cortisone shot 3 days ago. I"ve been experiencing a lot of cold sweats. I didn"t have the time to do the research, it was a spur of the moment kind of thing, didn"t give me much of a choice. In the future I will definitely refuse the shot.

Comment from: Miki, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

I received a cortisone injection a week ago for a spider bite. I am experiencing terrible facial flushing and hotness, also pain in my arms and neck.

Comment from: Cherylcollins, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I experienced localized pain and inflammation at the injection site. While I had relief elsewhere, the cortisone injection site was very painful from day two on.

Comment from: brclka, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 28

I had a cortisone injection into the tendon sheath of 3rd finger left hand today. Five hours later I have post injection flare... itching and burning sensation with soreness around the injection site.

Comment from: Painterlady, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

After cortisone injection, I had horrible headaches, diarrhea and my taste buds have been off, almost like I have a lump in my throat. I'm very concerned.

Comment from: Dclaro, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 18

I"ve had two cortisone shots over a six month period and they worked great. I am now taking two Aleve in the morning and doing quite well with this. If I have a flair up, I"ll get another shot but will try to avoid cortisone if I can. I"ve read the side effects of continued use and they are not good!

Comment from: Suzy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

After each injection of cortisone for back pain, within three weeks I have developed boils on my buttocks. The doctor has told me that this is unrelated because any reaction would be at the injection site. I feel this is more than a coincidence!

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a Cortisone Injection.
Cortisone Injection - Knee And Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee