Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Side Effects

What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?

Comment from: Sunshine, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I had a cortisone injection to my left shoulder three days ago. I didn't feel any instant relief or anything. By bedtime, I was in pain. By morning, I was in excruciating pain. I couldn't put on jeans, and it was hard to pull down my clothes to even go to the bathroom. Today, day 3, I was able to put on deodorant. I don't know what the doctor did, but I will never get one of those injections again.

Comment from: Becky, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I tore my bicep tendon but was misdiagnosed for a year before surgery for a tenectomy. It has been 1 1/2 years and I am on my second series of 3 cortisone injections. After the second injection in the second series I developed shingles in my face, upper respiratory infection and haven't had a healthy day in 6 weeks. I really feel that 5 shots in one year has caused my immune system to collapse.

Comment from: sherry, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I've had 2 steroid injections and had prednisone and methylprednisolone in the past 2 months. It has left me feeling very fuzzy and confused. I'm sleeping 15 hours a day and I feel just awful.

Comment from: sally, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I have had tendonitis in base of thumb and up the side of my wrist for past 2 years leading to trigger thumb. I also have rosacea. My thumb is feeling like it was hit by a hammer 3 days after the cortisone injection and I have a flare up of rosacea. I have been adding cool cloths to my face with no effect. Face feels like it is burning up! Next time I will go for surgery to have tendon sheaths cut!

Comment from: Angel, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I had a cortisone injection in my lower back S1 L5 two days ago. My symptoms are dizziness, waves of extreme tiredness, feeling faint and I am a white as a sheet but my back feels amazing.

Comment from: Joyce, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I have rheumatoid arthritis and had cortisone injections in both hips for bursitis. One day later I had very elevated blood pressure and had to go to the emergency room. My face was flushed and my temples pounding. I have had cortisone injections before and never had any side effects.

Comment from: Mary, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 17

My daughter had a cortisone shot in elbow joint. It has been about 3 to 4 hours and she still has no feeling in arm and it seems swollen.

Comment from: Iviviv, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 16

I had a steroid injection in my elbow a month ago. I was pretty sore for 2 or 3 days and then I started to feel that the original aching joint pain was lessening although the cortisone injection site remained a little bit tender. In the past couple of days I have had very painful skin on that elbow. It is really dry and flaking like eczema which I have never previously had. I also have a solid lump under the skin about the size and shape of a small bean where I was injected. I had been hoping to inject my other elbow which has bad joint pain too, but now I am put off the idea. Oh dear, maybe I just have to get used to life with sore joints.

Comment from: liz, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 04

My mom is suffering from an injection she received for what the doctor said was arthritis in her knees and feet. After receiving the cortisone injection on both arms for the pain, she began experiencing severe pains on both arms and they are inflamed and hurt really bad. She can't even sleep at night. She has no idea what to do.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.