Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Side effects

What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I had a cortisone shot today in my left knee after 5 months of hurting. Previously, 7 years ago I had one in my right knee. These were for osteoarthritis. I noticed only a small prick. 12 hours later I got a terrible headache, heartburn and insomnia. I felt very hot in bed and sore at the injection spot. I have to say I have some relief from the pain and am certainly hoping the other symptoms go away by tomorrow.

Comment from: Jenje, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I had 6 injections into the facet joints of my back T12-L2. The side effects: swelling at sight, pain down the hips and legs, the first night. Continued symptoms: feeling very hot and can't get cooled, face flushing and aching in legs and spine that feels like the flu, low grade temperature, 3 weeks of insomnia, moodiness (may be due to lack of sleep). Three weeks later I have received 3 more injections at the same location. The symptoms continue: feel hot, face flushing, body pains and insomnia. Injections didn't help original pain either. I feel they should have been looking at the rib and not spine.

Comment from: Billybob, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 31

I received a cortisone injection 18 months ago and had immediate relief with no side effect. The knee has flared up again due to my working it too hard. I am going to get another one.

Comment from: Chronicneck, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

It has been 8 days since my first cortisone shot to the cervical disc in my neck (C4). The pain of the injection was awful. I generally have a high tolerance but this was rotten. I had to have 3 doses of sedative/pain relief during the procedure. That night my sleep was disturbed (pain at the sight of injection, inability to stay asleep, and sweating - much like my experience taking oral steroids). One day after I had horrid facial/neck flushing with noticeable hot skin and a slight fever (99.6). Day 2 was slightly better. Today is day 8 and I am still having night sweats and the pain in my neck has not diminished. Additionally, I have had headaches since, which is something I am fortunate to not have to deal with much.

Comment from: GratitudeHere, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I experienced face flushing and heat that made it hard to get to sleep, but if this second shot works as well as the first shot 6 months ago, it will be worth it. So far, I am not experiencing the immediate effects as I had experienced with the first shot. However, I am hopeful.

Comment from: Julie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I received an injection in my right shoulder, a week and a half ago. The main side effect I had was a late period followed by the weirdest period ever. Lots of blood clots, light to moderate bleeding, and it lasted 8 days. On the other hand I feel like I have a bionic arm. No pain and I have been working it a lot. I also lost 6 pounds and do not have the normal pain I have in my joints. Also, all of the skin irritations I normally have are gone.

Comment from: TNGrammy, 45-54 (Patient) Published: October 15

I went to the bone and joint doctor because of a suspected torn rotator cuff. We decided to try a steroid injection to try and alleviate some of the pain I was experiencing. This was not my first steroid injection as I have had a few in the past put in my cervical spine for pain management. I must also note I am a Type I Diabetic. Not only did I get the face flushing, extremely elevated blood sugars 600+ and terrible drenching night sweats but I had a severe increase in my pain level for the first 48 hours following the shot. After this 48 hour period, I received no relief at all from the shot and given all of the side effects I experienced I think I will pass on a second one for this particular problem.

Comment from: KMasters, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I have had several cortisone injections in the past several years with no discernible side effects. Yesterday I had 2 shots in my heel for a bone spur. About 4 hours after the shot, I started feeling ill. I also had nausea and stomach distress. Today I am still feeling the nausea and lack of appetite.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a Cortisone Injection.
Cortisone Injection - Knee And Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee