Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Side effects

What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?

Comment from: Lucy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I had a cortisone shot in wrist for tendinitis. The following day my wrist hurt, but after that I was back to normal. I had been having severe pain in the backs of both knees for one year and that pain went away too! I asked the pharmacist and he said the cortisone relieves any inflammation in your body. I feel like a new woman.

Comment from: Richard, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 20

I have had three cortisone injections in my elbow for tendonitis. No side effects at all, they keep me golfing. I have had one in my knee which has bone on bone osteoarthritis and was very painful. One day after the shot I was ready to go dancing and golfing.

Comment from: scared patient, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I had a shot in my right elbow. The effects I experienced were scary to say the least. The first two days were fine, some pain in my elbow as expected. On the third day, I awoke from an afternoon nap with a pounding heart, high pulse, high blood pressure, dry mouth, anxiety, night sweats, nausea, and flu-like symptoms. I could not eat or rest. On the fourth day, I began to feel better but had fatigue and still do not feel back to normal. I would never have another cortisone shot as having a rapid pulse and high blood pressure for a very healthy person is not something anyone should experience without knowledge of such scary and serious side effects.

Comment from: cyclingfooldude, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 14

Two days ago I received a steroid injection to my left knee. I have been receiving the injections one per year for the past 4 years. I had no problems with the first two injections. The injection last year (2012) caused severe flushing of the face and chest; racing heart beat up to 122 beats per minute which came on intermittently for 8 hours; headache, confused thinking, severe night sweats, and insomnia for about one week. My wife said my personality changed for several days as I became angry at the slightest provocation. I received my fourth injection into my left knee three days ago (2013). Approximately 24 hours after the injection I had uncontrollable chills and nausea, plus couldn't sleep. About 18 hours later, right at the time I was getting to bed for the night, I started having really severe night sweats, heart palpitations, ringing in my ears, slight chest flushing, and couldn't sleep. The symptoms lasted for about 4 hours and thanks to an Ambien tablet, I was finally able to get some sleep. I have decided not to allow steroid injections again as it appears that there must be some kind of accumulative effect of steroid in my body as I get older. The injection definitely helps my knee pain, but at this point in time is not worth the side effects.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I had a cortisone shot today in my left knee after 5 months of hurting. Previously, 7 years ago I had one in my right knee. These were for osteoarthritis. I noticed only a small prick. 12 hours later I got a terrible headache, heartburn and insomnia. I felt very hot in bed and sore at the injection spot. I have to say I have some relief from the pain and am certainly hoping the other symptoms go away by tomorrow.

Comment from: Jenje, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I had 6 injections into the facet joints of my back T12-L2. The side effects: swelling at sight, pain down the hips and legs, the first night. Continued symptoms: feeling very hot and can't get cooled, face flushing and aching in legs and spine that feels like the flu, low grade temperature, 3 weeks of insomnia, moodiness (may be due to lack of sleep). Three weeks later I have received 3 more injections at the same location. The symptoms continue: feel hot, face flushing, body pains and insomnia. Injections didn't help original pain either. I feel they should have been looking at the rib and not spine.

Comment from: Billybob, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 31

I received a cortisone injection 18 months ago and had immediate relief with no side effect. The knee has flared up again due to my working it too hard. I am going to get another one.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a Cortisone Injection.
Cortisone Injection - Knee And Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee