Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Side Effects

What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?

Comment from: Vince, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 17

I seem to bruise a lot easier than before the cortisone injections. I discover nasty looking bruises that I don't remember what could have caused them. I rarely had bruises before, and also when I blow my nose there is a tint of blood.

Comment from: MC, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I had my cortisone shot yesterday for trigger thumb. This is my second shot for that. I have had other cortisone shots for tendonitis in my elbows and forearms. Each time my face turns bright red, like sunburn and I get terrible hot flashes. My face was soaked yesterday. I had a hard time sleeping last night. I had insomnia, although I was very tired. I typically never had these side effects so drastic. Today I have a slight headache.

Comment from: ccid, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

Yesterday I had an intra-articular steroid injection in my hip to tread adhesive capsulitis. The actual cortisone shot wasn't very painful however within 2 hours my lower back was extremely achy and still aches as I write this at 9 am the next morning. I also developed a bad headache last night around 5 hours after the injection. The headache is gone this morning. I also woke up feeling very agitated and jittery. My hands were slightly shaking. It seems to be dissipating as the morning progresses. Hope this information is useful.

Comment from: BONNIE, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I had bad knee pain and giving a cortisone injection helped a lot, but I have type 1 diabetes. My sugar went up to 300 the doctor never told me this would happen, and I can't get it down.

Comment from: Swedehill, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: February 10

My mother had injections in both of her knees and two days later experienced flushed, red and swollen face, water retention, night sweats and irregular heartbeats. She decided to take Benadryl which seemed to help. Luckily after a rough night she has now expelled the excess fluid, but her blood pressure (BP) rose to 180 over 90. She increased her BP medicines and now it is back down to 140 over 70. Very scary situation but she seems to be returning back to normal. She had the same shot two years ago but only in one knee without this type or reaction, so perhaps she cannot get both knees done at the same time.

Comment from: 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 09

I've been on Lupron for 6 months and have experienced about 2 hot flashes per hour. I received a cortisone injection in my left knee on Tuesday and hot flashes stopped abruptly Thursday night and so far into Friday.

Comment from: roadmstr, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 06

I had cortisone injections on each side of lower back. First day I was nauseated and tired, second day was same, only felt like my face had sunburn and I was depressed. This is day 3 and I still have these symptoms. My back hurts worse than before. Never again.

Comment from: MsNancyNC, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 05

I received a cortisone shot for sciatic pain yesterday and today my face was red and felt sunburned, now under my eye I've got some puffiness, on my right side of my body I have hot spots; it is really weird. Never again for me.

Comment from: meredith, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

My most recent cortisone injection was in my knee about 6 days ago. I have been getting very little sleep, have had a bad headache for 3 days, feel a lot of nausea, and heart palpitations; also much anxiety. I have flushed face and shakiness. I have had numerous injections over the years. I guess I have reached my limit!

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.