Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Side effects

What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?

Comment from: cmyr, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I have had 2 shots in 2 weeks in the same place, and one on the corresponding side, same location, the thumb joint, today. The shot was no big deal first time. Second time, with the same doctor, I had bruising and incapacitation of both hands. They were numb and then when that wore off, I am unable to hold weight, pinch/grasp, or to use to manipulate objects like scissors or an iron. I am a candidate for joint replacement, or I may choose cortisone shots every 3 months.

Comment from: Angela G, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I have had horrible side effects from cortisone injections! For months I have experienced charley horse pain and severe cramping throughout my body after injections to back shoulder and knee! I had severe facial flushing for 5 days and not feeling well! I had worse pain than before the injection. I did not know this was an allergic reaction till recently, I will never have one again! What a nightmare for me!

Comment from: mamere, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I had cortisone injections in both knees a few weeks ago. The pain in my knees and legs, especially at night, decreased substantially. It is just now starting again a little now and then. However, I did experience flushing of my face, horrible weight gain and, for the last few days, cramping and upset stomach.

Comment from: looking forward, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I just had cortisone injection 2 days ago on my ankle which has damaged cartilage from 2 falls over last 2 years which resulted in severe pain while walking or in high impact sport. The injection was painless and quick but I wasn't prepared or warned by the doctor, of its side effects. I felt nauseous leaving hospital. I had bad night sweats which kept me awake and at 5AM I had to take paracetamol for severe headache which still persists today. Second night my face and neck flushed bright which I still have today and I feel my temperature is up, a lot going on not to be warned about. On a positive note I have no pain in foot.

Comment from: ljl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I had a cortisone shot on one side of my T spine and the next day feeling sick; no energy, muscle spasms that wake me up all night and my back is sorer than ever and my scar tissue from my heart surgery feels like it hasn't healed at all. The first time I got a shot in my back I ended up with MRSA! Feels like it came back full blown; not a safe procedure!

Comment from: KZ11, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I have had cortisone injection into my left shoulder. That was yesterday early afternoon. Early evening I experienced extreme sweating and slipperiness. It was going on until midnight. This morning I was pretty much ok until about 3PM and I got palpitations. It is nearly 5PM and my heart beat is irregular.

Comment from: Eileen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I have had a very painful knee due to arthritis, torn meniscus and Baker's cyst. I was given a cortisone shot into the joint and when I asked about side effects I was told that because it was local there would be none except maybe a little soreness at the site of the injection. About an hour after the shot, I felt light-headed and began having heart palpitations, rapid pulse, jitteriness, elevated blood pressure and some loss of smell and taste. The knee is better, but is it worth it! Also, I have osteopenia and wonder if this is the best treatment for me.

Comment from: Comet403, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I had a steroid/cortisone shot into my lower back. It has been a week and I am still in pain and having side effects. I am always tired, bloated, having heartburn and I am achy and crabby. I wish I had never agreed to the injection.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a Cortisone Injection.
Cortisone Injection - Knee And Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee