Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Side Effects

What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?

Comment from: Thunderdome621, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 21

Before yesterday, I'd only one knee surgery back in 2005 due to a fall while running the bases playing in a father/son baseball game. I tore my meniscus and partially tore my PCL (posterior cruciate ligament). Over the years the pain increased, so I would get cortisone shots 2 to 3 times a year. They yielded some relief, but not much. In July, 2015, an MRI revealed a badly torn meniscus, cyst and a large effusion in the knee. I just had surgery yesterday 10/15/15 on the knee. The ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) was fiery red, and the meniscus tear was trimmed. What was shocking to me was the pictures that the doctor showed me of the crystal deposits from the cortisone shots. He got those out as well, but said that they were causing some of the pain, along with an inflamed ACL and meniscus tear. The reason I'm writing on this forum is to make people aware of the buildup that can occur over time from multiple cortisone shots. The unfortunate thing is they lead to gouty arthritis, pain, and the only way I'm aware of to get rid of them is through surgery. You may want to think twice about multiple cortisone injections; especially if they aren't providing relief. Good Luck to everyone.

Comment from: Tippy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I had 2 cortisone injections in my neck last year, the pain was off the charts for the next 5 days then died down. It never took all the pain away but did help. Side effects were what felt like heart palpitations, severe nausea, insomnia, and pain started in my left big toe. When I told the doctor what was happening he said they have nothing to do with the shots, I don't think that's true. I don't know why my big toe would suddenly start hurting but it did and still does. Just 3 weeks ago in shear desperation I decided to have a shot in my right shoulder, I have had off the charts severe pain for over 4 years. The doctor put 2 injections in my shoulder and this time I've only felt a little sick, plus he did tell me you can experience side effects, flare up, etc., and listed them all. I appreciate him doing that instead of making you think you're nuts imagining side effects.

Comment from: FLUSH FACE, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

I have had cortisone injections in my thumb for several years, and sometimes I get the one sided face flush. But this time I had my total face on fire, with a feeling of sinus infection and achy teeth and cheeks. The only different thing was that I got a flu shot the day before, so perhaps there was an interaction. It was very hurtful and annoying on this first day. I had a slight headache as well, but my thumbs are fab!

Comment from: KER33, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I received a series of cortisone injections in my neck for pain. Since the injections about 2 weeks ago I have had a headache and I randomly will feel palpitations. My face also broke out with acne. So far these injections have done no good for me. They have only caused other issues.

Comment from: Dee Bee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I had a cortisone injection in my hip. I had flushing for about 4 days, and increase in hot flashes in the last month. I have headaches, sometimes flipping into migraines, which increases over typical frequency. Heart rate between 100 and 110 for about 36 hours after injection, fine since. Hip feels better, continued improvement as the month has progressed.

Comment from: MiMi, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 03

I received a cortisone injection in my hip yesterday at 11:00 am. By 1:00, my face was red and appeared swollen (so said my friends), and by 4:00, I was shaking. I had insomnia (slept less than 1 hour all night), but the good side is that the pain is much less, and today I can walk without a limp or weakness. So, perhaps a good trade-off.

Comment from: LaurieJ, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 31

I have had tinnitus since childhood. First I had meningitis, then constant ear infections; I now have 3 distinct sounds, crickets, ringing and static sound, which are worse in my left ear. My tinnitus 'clicks' when I am getting an ear infection. These noises have gotten worse over past several months and I was just diagnosed with a pineal gland tumor. I have tried every medicine and yes, some dubious snake oil cures, to no avail.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.