Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Side effects

What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?

Comment from: KZ11, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I have had cortisone injection into my left shoulder. That was yesterday early afternoon. Early evening I experienced extreme sweating and slipperiness. It was going on until midnight. This morning I was pretty much ok until about 3PM and I got palpitations. It is nearly 5PM and my heart beat is irregular.

Comment from: Eileen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I have had a very painful knee due to arthritis, torn meniscus and Baker's cyst. I was given a cortisone shot into the joint and when I asked about side effects I was told that because it was local there would be none except maybe a little soreness at the site of the injection. About an hour after the shot, I felt light-headed and began having heart palpitations, rapid pulse, jitteriness, elevated blood pressure and some loss of smell and taste. The knee is better, but is it worth it! Also, I have osteopenia and wonder if this is the best treatment for me.

Comment from: Comet403, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I had a steroid/cortisone shot into my lower back. It has been a week and I am still in pain and having side effects. I am always tired, bloated, having heartburn and I am achy and crabby. I wish I had never agreed to the injection.

Comment from: Lucy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I had a cortisone shot in wrist for tendinitis. The following day my wrist hurt, but after that I was back to normal. I had been having severe pain in the backs of both knees for one year and that pain went away too! I asked the pharmacist and he said the cortisone relieves any inflammation in your body. I feel like a new woman.

Comment from: Richard, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 20

I have had three cortisone injections in my elbow for tendonitis. No side effects at all, they keep me golfing. I have had one in my knee which has bone on bone osteoarthritis and was very painful. One day after the shot I was ready to go dancing and golfing.

Comment from: scared patient, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I had a shot in my right elbow. The effects I experienced were scary to say the least. The first two days were fine, some pain in my elbow as expected. On the third day, I awoke from an afternoon nap with a pounding heart, high pulse, high blood pressure, dry mouth, anxiety, night sweats, nausea, and flu-like symptoms. I could not eat or rest. On the fourth day, I began to feel better but had fatigue and still do not feel back to normal. I would never have another cortisone shot as having a rapid pulse and high blood pressure for a very healthy person is not something anyone should experience without knowledge of such scary and serious side effects.

Comment from: cyclingfooldude, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 14

Two days ago I received a steroid injection to my left knee. I have been receiving the injections one per year for the past 4 years. I had no problems with the first two injections. The injection last year (2012) caused severe flushing of the face and chest; racing heart beat up to 122 beats per minute which came on intermittently for 8 hours; headache, confused thinking, severe night sweats, and insomnia for about one week. My wife said my personality changed for several days as I became angry at the slightest provocation. I received my fourth injection into my left knee three days ago (2013). Approximately 24 hours after the injection I had uncontrollable chills and nausea, plus couldn't sleep. About 18 hours later, right at the time I was getting to bed for the night, I started having really severe night sweats, heart palpitations, ringing in my ears, slight chest flushing, and couldn't sleep. The symptoms lasted for about 4 hours and thanks to an Ambien tablet, I was finally able to get some sleep. I have decided not to allow steroid injections again as it appears that there must be some kind of accumulative effect of steroid in my body as I get older. The injection definitely helps my knee pain, but at this point in time is not worth the side effects.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a Cortisone Injection.
Cortisone Injection - Knee And Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee