Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Side Effects

What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?

Comment from: Liz A, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

In early April, I had a cortisone shot in my wrist due to tendonitis. A month later, a bruise started developing at the injection site and is slowly getting larger. I did feel a nerve get hit when the injection was given, but not sure if that's the problem. I should probably call the doctor, but I am sick of the doctor!

Comment from: Lynne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I had two cortisone injections into my foot 7 days ago. I have Morton's neuroma in the foot, thus the injections. Within around 15 minutes I started getting palpitations, dizziness, lightheadedness, slight nausea and then that night I got severe headache which lasted for a few days. Headache disappeared after a few days (and many pain killers) but all other symptoms are still with me. Also I thought I might be having a stroke a few nights ago as one side of my face started twitching and then I had chest pains and hot sweats. I am still feeling awful and it is day 7 today!

Comment from: Marg, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I had my first cortisone injection into my hip yesterday morning for bursitis. I felt great all day but pain was back that evening. Today there is no improvement, and I have been told it can take up to two weeks to have effect. No other side effects. I have had each hip replaced also.

Comment from: eleanor, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I had a cortisone injection in my shoulder for rotator cuff tears, etc. The pain increased and the range of motion decreased; not what I expected. I also had short term nausea and tingling in my hand and wrist. My shoulder feels tight and heavy now, 2 days later. No insomnia though, I slept better than usual.

Comment from: Lori, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

I have had several cortisone injections in my right foot for plantar fasciitis and I always have instant relief and have no side effects. A few seconds of pain during the injection is well worth it. I have probably had 4 or so, one every 7 months or so and will keep having for as long as I need to.

Comment from: Lulu, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I had the cortisone injection for tendonitis 6 weeks ago. The day after I felt like I had flu, aching and sweating, pounding headache, and queasy stomach. Symptoms lasted 3 weeks, and I have been ok for 2 weeks, now the symptoms are back again.

Comment from: Helen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 04

I had severe hot flashes for about a week after the injection. But the injection worked and provided a relief. I had 6 injections in 1 year, 3 epidural and 3 sacroiliac. First relieved all pain for about 3 months. Second helped for a shorter time and the third was semi helpful. It has been 7 years and I am left with some manageable pain. Doctors did not want to do a repeat.

Comment from: blood sugar rx, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: May 04

Two people counting myself found that the cortisone shots affected our blood sugar. The day before my blood sugar was at 156 and went up to 198 next day and up to 274 the next day.

Comment from: Lelia M, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I have had two cortisone injections in left knee, three in right, two in the back, one in the shoulder. The only side effects have been very flushed face for several days, and palpitations. I am not sure about the sleeplessness as I rare sleep with pain anyway. For me, they are life savers and, although I know I am headed for knee replacements, they have bought me lots of time.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.