Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Side Effects

What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?

Comment from: askquestions, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I should have asked more questions before getting the cortisone injection in my knee last Wednesday. I've never been allergic or have had a bad reaction to any medication. A few hours after the shot I was hot, then cold, developed severe insomnia, hungry/not hungry, very edgy, and overall just felt awful. I read online that Benadryl helps and it certainly helped me. I took several doses (children's Benadryl) Thursday and Friday and single doses on Saturday and Sunday. Twenty minutes after the first dose the symptoms started to fade, especially the hot/cold feeling. Many posters inquired as to how long the symptoms last. It's now Monday and while I'm feeling it a bit, overall the symptoms are fading. Many posters said the side effects are worth it but I'm not so sure. My knee is more limber but I don't know if I'll ever get one of these injections again.

Comment from: Wondering, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

Yesterday afternoon I received a cortisone injection in my shoulder for bursitis/tendonitis with impingement syndrome. My shoulder feels much better this morning, with more pain-free movement, but I have a nasty headache and am feeling a bit nauseated and hot, and not sure how to relieve the symptoms. I took a Tylenol but I am already on 800 mg ibuprofen. I guess I'll find out.

Comment from: Brandon Ward, 25-34 (Patient) Published: March 03

The first time that I had the cortisone injections, I had instant relief. My foot felt as if it had been asleep and was waking up, giving me more feeling back in my foot that I really wasn't aware that I had lost. The second time that I had them, (2 days ago) I came home, my heart rate and blood pressure has been up since, and I haven't been able to go to sleep since because of being so jittery and shaky. At this time my blood pressure is 150/100, heart rate is 130 and it hasn't subsided yet. I'm a little worried about having a heart attack or stroke, because I sure feel delusional. The first time, and second time shots, both helped somewhat with the pain from my back but I am not sure if it's worth all the damage that the shots are prone to do in the long run.

Comment from: Angeles, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

Today I had a cortisone shot mixed with Novocain. I experience increased heat on my buttocks and I am having a terrible stomach ache and a head ache. It is 11:00 PM and I cannot go to sleep.

Comment from: sjf0820, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I received a cortisone injection for bulging disc pain in cervical spine. This was the second injection. The first injection, which was 8 months ago resulted in an indentation around the injection site, but the relief I received from the injection was worth it. This second shot was a bad shot. A few hours after receiving the injection, my heart was racing, I had palpitations, and it upset my stomach. I suffer from GERD; the injection caused a mild attack. I felt drained and fatigued. All night I felt sick. I was afraid to go to sleep because of the racing heart. The next day I was agitated and still felt sick, but as the day progressed, the side effects began to subside. It was all a bit scary, but at least the pain subsided again. Just hoping the injection will last.

Comment from: Juliusa, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I have had facet pain for the last 14 years on and off. Prolotherapy helped for many years. I also took low dose naltrexone and had a good year of no pain. Then again my facet pain started back. I had a flare. I had 2 steroid injections and last one was 1 month ago. I feel great, no pain. However I am noticing my heart rate is elevated. This could be due to stress and the shots. I will go to a cardiologist to have a work up. I am thankful to be facet joint pain free from the steroid (cortisone) injections.

Comment from: Vince, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 17

I seem to bruise a lot easier than before the cortisone injections. I discover nasty looking bruises that I don't remember what could have caused them. I rarely had bruises before, and also when I blow my nose there is a tint of blood.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.