Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Side Effects

What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?

Comment from: Anntanns1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

I've been getting facet joint injections in L4/5 and L4-S1 every 6 months for a decade now. I have a pain free lower back and no side effects from those cortisone injections. Recently I needed to start injections in my knees (osteoarthritis). Usually they are painless injections, and the knees are pain free the next day. This last injection caused a severe leg cramp that won't go away. No other side effects, just this really painful muscle contraction. I take 750 mg Osteo Bi-flex daily, and am in good health otherwise.

Comment from: hotshot, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: June 06

I got a cortisone injection for severe knee pain. The doctor said it might be a couple of days before I noticed any relief. By the time I walked out to my car, I was almost pain free. And this is wild! I have a very poor sense of smell. Today, the day after the shot, I am smelling more odors than I have in a long, long time. I wonder if there is a cause effect thing happening here.

Comment from: AmyC, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I received a cortisone shot in my knee yesterday. Today I woke up with bad headache and my cheeks were extremely red. My knee is feeling a little better, but I heard it takes a few days for the medicine to kick in! Hopefully the red cheeks will go away soon.

Comment from: BB, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

One month ago I had an SI (sacroiliac) joint cortisone injection for therapeutic and diagnostic reasons due to hip, leg, lower back, and groin pain. Since then I have flushing, sweating, and some nausea. It did not relieve my pain so my orthopedist ordered an MRI which showed herniation at L4-L5 and L5-S1 levels. In 2 days I am scheduled for injections in the above joints. If successful, he will schedule a nerve ablation. If not, he'll schedule a nerve block. I hope something works because I have been out of work on leave for 2 months so far. I am a therapist in a nursing and rehabilitation facility and we have no light duty.

Comment from: Sàndy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I suffered severe muscle weakness, severe headaches, increased pain, vomiting, randomly collapsing, mood swings, and was unable to work for over a week after cortisone injection, where before I was able to tolerate pain and able to work.

Comment from: tigger, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

Years ago I had a cortisone injection in my shoulder, had no side effects and it fixed the issue. Three and a half months ago I got two cortisone injections, one in each thumb for bone on bone arthritis. The first few hours I was in severe pain, which got better and disappeared. But then all the other weird things started happening. My blood pressure (BP) spiked and my head felt like it was going to blow off. The BP has finally started going down but it would spike to the point that I could feel it. My sugar number was a bit high in a recent physical. Gastric nightmares with gurgling, bloating, gas, irritable bowel syndrome symptoms, I came down with the flu, ended up in the emergency room because my potassium levels dropped very low. The first month or so I suffered almost daily panic attacks, something that hadn't happened in a few years, and insomnia. I had a constant low level of anxiety. It did take the thumb pain from a daily 10 down to a daily 3. But I'll never do it again. I'm still suffering with many of the above symptoms.

Comment from: Rachel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I had a steroid shot in my shoulder for bursitis pain and the next 2 mornings my cheeks were flushed although I felt fine. I had trouble getting to sleep last night which is very unusual for me.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.