Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Side Effects

What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?

Comment from: SwedishGal, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

It is 12 hours since cortisone injection to battle my flare of ulcerative colitis. I am sweating profusely and my brain is in overdrive. I feel super focused and alert, almost like a heightened sense of awareness. I don't think I will be able to sleep at all, and this was also the case during my previous treatment with cortisone.

Comment from: hotflashanne, 65-74 (Patient) Published: December 27

I had a caudal cortisone injection five days ago. I was very much hyped up for two days and sweated the entire time. On the fourth day I was just sitting and the worst hot flash ever came over me. I felt like my upper body was on fire. I also had fatigue which was pretty bad the third day. I like to mention that I am way beyond the menopause years so sweating and hot flashes were not from that. I still have some back and leg pain. Not sure if I will have any more cortisone shots. I have had a number of them in the past in knee and shoulders but only got a little flushed and hyped up for a few days. Not understanding this shot reaction at all.

Comment from: JaCassdy54, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 15

I had cortisone injection in my right knee after a year of severe pain and severe ongoing swelling with any activity. I tried Synvisc with zero results. A couple of hours after, I began getting a severe headache which turned into a migraine. And 24 hours later my head still aches. I had, like no other, major acid reflux and haven't been able to eat. I haven't slept. Anxious. I hope tomorrow will be a better day. This was my first injection.

Comment from: Kimbearmom, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I got a cortisone shot for bursitis in my left hip. It hit a nerve or something and I jerked badly. This morning I am so sore and stiff I can hardly walk! I don't know what happened. It's supposed to help! This is not my first shot. I have had them in foot and other hip but never like this!

Comment from: southerngirly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

I had a cortisone injection in the knee and elbow same day, yesterday. Last night I had a headache and broke out in a sweat all night long, and did not sleep. I am feeling very fatigued and still have a headache along with flushed red face. It could be due to having two instead of one.

Comment from: Amanda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

I had a cortisone shot in left knee on Friday, September 16, 2016. By Monday morning, September 19, 2016, I was vomiting and had a severe, severe migraine like I have never had in my entire life. I missed work for 2 days, had to see 2 doctors, and lost pay from work since we do not have sick days. The first doctor on Monday almost called 911 due to my condition. I lost a lot of work and money. I also lost a sense of safety. I don't know how long this poison will stay in my system or if I have long term problems that I will have to deal with later. By the way, my knee was already hurting, less than a week later. So not worth the torture I had to endure or lost hours from work.

Comment from: Torino, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 14

I had a cortisone shot to my right knee about a week and a half ago. The pain was significantly relieved almost immediately but I noticed a couple of days after the injection that both my blood pressure and glucose levels went up sky high and have continued to stay up since then.

Comment from: San, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

I had a cortisone injection into my facet joint in my spine about 16 hours ago and I have no pain but insomnia, hot flushes, sneezing, my body pulsating like mad and heart racing. I'm remaining positive and I am sure it will be worth it all.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.