Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Side Effects

What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?

Comment from: marylynn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

I was given a cortisone injection in my hand yesterday after being diagnosed with a trigger finger on my middle finger of my left hand. The side effects have been much worse than the pain in my hand! I have been diabetic for 44 years and my blood sugars shot up, and I experienced nausea, lethargy, dizziness, sleeplessness, mood swings and a very rapid and hard heartbeat. I could not function today and wanted to cry all day from the emotional shift. No more cortisone for me!

Comment from: Akutchi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

I had my first cortisone injection 2 days ago in my right knee. This morning I woke up to a red and warm left arm that went across my back and chest to my right arm. My left shoulder aches a bit and my fingers were tingly. I took a Benadryl and it is helping. The doctor says the milky substance that is part of the shot may be causing it.

Comment from: AmyLouWho, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 27

I had my first cortisone injection in my right shoulder yesterday. The pain relief was relatively fast! However, I woke up at 2 am violently vomiting, with no flu symptoms, no temperature or body aches. I emptied my stomach and was fine, was able to go back to sleep. I have a headache and a sour stomach today.

Comment from: Ginger, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I had cortisone injections in both knees this morning at 8:30 EST 7/23/2016, and developed a severe headache which I still have at 12:20 AM 7/24/2016. I have taken ibuprofen, Tylenol, Advil, and nothing is working.

Comment from: Jenny j, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

I have had a total of 5 sterilized cortisone injections either in my hands or my spine. The last three have given me symptoms; red flush to cheeks and nose, extreme fatigue, stomach pains (pressure in upper abdomen and general bloating), pain at site of procedure. The most recent was in L4 L5 lumbar region, and it was a lengthy procedure, very painful. Following three weeks have been bad enough for me to decide I am no longer going down the route of steroid treatment. I hope this helps other patients.

Comment from: CMP, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

Two days ago I received a corticosteroid fluoroscopic injection in my left hip. Yesterday morning, I woke up to feeling flu-like symptoms: hotness, nausea, tiredness, lack of appetite. This morning, I woke to a splitting headache which did not subside all day, even with ibuprofen (the only pain reliever that helps me). Now, I can't sleep. On the plus side, my hip pain is just about gone. The injection itself was not painful, but the Novacaine shots (4 of them) were. The injection site is still sore, but my joint pain is much better. Hope it lasts.

Comment from: Robin, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I am experiencing labored breathing after my cortisone shot. Also, I want to eat everything in the house.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.