Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Side Effects

What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?

Comment from: Roxanne, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

After experiencing knee pain that did not resolve after a couple of weeks I saw an orthopedic doctor and he ordered an MRI which did not show any tears. He gave me a cortisone shot in my left knee and since that time I have experienced extreme chest pressure during walking even a short distance (at a slow pace), and when riding my bike. I checked my blood pressure and it is running around 156/96. I did not experience this until after the injection.

Comment from: kathiemc, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I had cortisone injections in both knees yesterday, and within a couple hours, developed a nagging headache. No amount of pain reliever will alleviate it.

Comment from: Dwayne, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

I had cortisone injection in my knee 36 hours ago with instant relief. However now I seem to be having an allergic reaction which must be like asthma. I have insomnia restlessness and trouble breathing.

Comment from: Goldengirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I had one cortisone injection in my thumb 9 months ago with no side effects and great results. Yesterday I had injections in both thumbs. Five minutes later I had terrible aching in one arm, up to my shoulder. It went away after about 5 hours. This morning I woke up with my cheeks hot and red. At this point I am very hesitant to get any more injections. I was never provided any information on potential side effects by my physician. At this point I might just have the surgery in my really bad hand and be done with it. I don't want to go through this again.

Comment from: MabOfFey, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I received my first corticosteroid injection in my shoulder for an impinged nerve of the rotator cuff about 6 hours ago. After 4 months of fairly constant pain, the relief I feel is incredible. I have had a few episodes of sweating this evening and have a mild headache. I will update if I have any other side effects. They would have to be pretty serious to outweigh the benefits for me. I cannot believe the pain is gone.

Comment from: Liz A, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

In early April, I had a cortisone shot in my wrist due to tendonitis. A month later, a bruise started developing at the injection site and is slowly getting larger. I did feel a nerve get hit when the injection was given, but not sure if that's the problem. I should probably call the doctor, but I am sick of the doctor!

Comment from: Lynne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I had two cortisone injections into my foot 7 days ago. I have Morton's neuroma in the foot, thus the injections. Within around 15 minutes I started getting palpitations, dizziness, lightheadedness, slight nausea and then that night I got severe headache which lasted for a few days. Headache disappeared after a few days (and many pain killers) but all other symptoms are still with me. Also I thought I might be having a stroke a few nights ago as one side of my face started twitching and then I had chest pains and hot sweats. I am still feeling awful and it is day 7 today!

Comment from: Marg, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I had my first cortisone injection into my hip yesterday morning for bursitis. I felt great all day but pain was back that evening. Today there is no improvement, and I have been told it can take up to two weeks to have effect. No other side effects. I have had each hip replaced also.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.