Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Side effects

What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?

Comment from: Cathy4549, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

Yesterday I went for my cortisone injection and had a frank talk with my doctor about the severe side effects. He realizes I have a low tolerance to medications. With my last injection my blood pressure rose to over 210/110, I had hallucinations with fever, vomiting, diarrhea, couldn't sleep for three days, but had no pain having the injection or after, and near immediate relief from the sciatic pain. He gave me a prescription that cancer patients use to stop vomiting and nausea called Zofran Zydis Wafer 4mg. He suggested I take an extra 1/2 dose of my 5mg blood pressure tablet and then take a wafer before the nausea started. The only side effects I have had is a slight headache and not being able to sleep for the last 18 hours but I can handle that. I want to thank my caring doctor and hopefully this could work for you. I was prepared to have the injection with the side effects again because they have relieved my pain for months.

Comment from: Debra, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I've had 4 cortisone shots in my right shoulder over the past 2 years, the first 24 hours were very painful. The long term side effects, are sweating and migraines. I've decided I will have no more. There must be other alternatives.

Comment from: holly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I had a cortisone injection in my knee and 8 hours later experienced significant flushing and hot feeling all over along with heart palpitations which lasted about 20 minutes. The good thing is the next day my knee felt great. I wish I had known this could happen as it was a bit scary.

Comment from: Clark, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 08

I had a cortisone knee injection 2 years ago, I have no pain since then and no side effects. I take Osteo Bi-flex pills also and have no pain. I am 82 years young!

Comment from: nyapo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I had pain on my hip for over 7 months. I tried lots of pain killers, but they did not work for me. I changed a few doctors and tried different medication with high dosage which did not work and my last doctor advised to have the high dose and later if it does not work I should take cortisone injection. I took the injection for three days and my pain had gone. But I had lots of side effects, eating too much, shaking, hot flashes, etc. But after 9 days all my side effect are gone. And for now I am pain free.

Comment from: Carrie M, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I had injections in August into L3-L4/L4-L5 for bulging discs and some arthritis. It was very painful, but over quickly with no side effects and some pain relief. The doctor felt another series of injections could make the difference. I had injections in December into L4-L5 and L SI joint. Again, painful, but it was over quickly. Next day I had some face flushing, nothing extreme. Approximately 60 hours after injections, I suddenly developed heart palpitations, fast and slow beats and shortness of breath. I debated an emergency room visit at midnight, but held off. It subsided in about 2-3 hours. Some shortness of breath still exists 4 days post injections, but palpitations are gone. I am also experiencing considerable heartburn. I'm not sure I'll do more of injections, may try massage and chiropractic care again for a while. Anti-inflammatory medication worked for a few years, but then not so much. I am so glad to have read that other's symptoms match my own.

Comment from: reamaro, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I had never had one before. Then they gave me one in the shoulder. Within a half hour I was so sick I felt I was going to throw up. I then went to my next appointment and still feeling ill. I started getting other weird systems; dry lips, couldn't swallow, tight chest, arm felt like it was on fire and I had extreme pain and a very bad headache. I called the doctor to see what kind of side effects if any, and he kind of got annoyed saying he gives many shots a month and never had a problem. Well, I ended up in hospital with a bad allergic reaction to this medicine, I will not take this again.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a Cortisone Injection.
Cortisone Injection - Knee And Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee