Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Side Effects

What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?

Comment from: blood sugar rx, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: May 04

Two people counting myself found that the cortisone shots affected our blood sugar. The day before my blood sugar was at 156 and went up to 198 next day and up to 274 the next day.

Comment from: Lelia M, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I have had two cortisone injections in left knee, three in right, two in the back, one in the shoulder. The only side effects have been very flushed face for several days, and palpitations. I am not sure about the sleeplessness as I rare sleep with pain anyway. For me, they are life savers and, although I know I am headed for knee replacements, they have bought me lots of time.

Comment from: doglady, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I had a cortisone injection for knee pain and noticed the following week that my big toe nail was falling off for no apparent reason. There have been no changes in diet or medication, other than the cortisone, and no trauma to the toe.

Comment from: Landis789, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I have had many cortisone shots but never in my knee replacement. About 20 minutes after my injection into the bursa below my knee I couldn't move my knee or lift it and the pain was/is intense! I called the doctor and he said it is normal sometime for a few hours and even a day. I am on my couch with ice and crutches something is wrong! My knee is frozen. I suppose I know why now I had to sign a form for the injection! If I can't walk in the morning I will have to go to the hospital.

Comment from: Maize, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I received a cortisone shot in both knees last Wednesday for bone on bone arthritis and meniscus tears in both knees. Several hours later I had a really bad headache in my forehead over the eyes area and developed a stomach flu. I still have a spot headache occasionally and nausea off and on. I called my osteopath doctor and they said my symptoms could very well be from the shot. Knees have been feeling much better since then though.

Comment from: shawn b, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 17

I recently received a cortisone shot it my wrist for carpal tunnel. My wrist was fractured about 10 years earlier. Well, my hand was useless after about 30 minutes. I could not move my first three fingers. Within 48 hours there was no more pain but my wrist felt kind of tight. It loosened up within a week and no more pain. No side effects that I could see, except that I had some slightly large pimples appear on my back but they are gone now. Could have been something else that caused that. My wrist is easily injured so I would get another but I don't want to rely on these shots.

Comment from: Fran, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 30

I too, a 75 year old female, received a cortisone shot in my ankle. I feel flushed and hot and it is 24 hours later. I am taking naproxen for my headache. I have had many cortisone shots over the years, never ever experienced these symptoms before.

Comment from: Stu, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 18

I am a 57 year old male with a partial patella in my left knee from a sports injury when I was 19. I have a lot of arthritis and atrophy in the leg. I have had cortisone injections in my right knee in the past with no problems. Recently, my left knee has swelled badly and lost range of motion. I had a cortisone shot in the joint 4 days ago, it hurt tremendously like no other shot I've experienced. Hours later, my calf became extremely sore and swollen. I went to the emergency room. They thought I had deep vein thrombosis. Doppler was negative. I'm still swollen and it hurts badly to walk. Orthopedic surgeon thinks I may have had a Baker's cyst that leaked down. I've been to physical therapy and been treated to no avail. Nobody can figure this one out. I am going back to the surgeon in two days. Front of leg is red and I'm on antibiotics as a precaution.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.