Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Side effects

What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?

Comment from: Chris, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I received a cortisone injection in my knee yesterday and I woke up at 3:00 AM feeling warm, heart racing, and a terrible headache. In addition to the above I have an upset stomach/heartburn. I am unable to sleep yet but extremely tired.

Comment from: threehurtingtoes, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I had two cortisone injections in my right foot to alleviate shooting pain in my toes. Immediately after the injection, I felt very tired. Later that night I could not sleep at all. I have had an elevated blood pressure and rapid heart rate since that time. I have felt jittery for the last two days. I hope these symptoms go away soon. I don"t think I will ever want another cortisone injection again.

Comment from: MEJay, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I have had four cortisone injections, for a rotator cuff injury. I have had a reaction in the way of facial flushing and was unwell with first two injections. I told the surgeon and she changed the type of cortisone and that was worse for me. I seem to have a bacterial infection which has been most distressing with huge sweats and blood rushing down my neck and arms. I felt sick and weak and that went on for about ten days. Then not realizing that the cortisone was the problem (I had contracted a virus of some type which gave me flu like symptoms, cough and breathing problems), as I still had problems with my shoulder, I had a second one of the same sort. This time I have had extreme sweating as well but in my head this time, I also have flushing face and eyes, sleepiness and hallucinations. Even though these symptoms have decreased cough still returns every 2 weeks or so.

Comment from: Moya S, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I have had three cortisone injections for arthritis pain in my lower back and shoulder. Two days post injection, I have had severe vomiting and diarrhea for up to eight hours each time. My doctor stated that I have very unpleasant reaction to the cortisone injection. It than takes several days of weakness, headaches and lack of appetite. The injections have, on two occasions, not relieved any pain in my lower back, third injection for frozen shoulder, provided little relief.

Comment from: Cassidy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I had left and right hip injected with cortisone and thought this would help the bursitis in both sides. However, after having the injection the pain I am in is dreadful, walking is limited and I feel that something is tearing in my sides. I hope to get to the stage that it has relieved my symptoms.

Comment from: Hyeoctane, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 23

I had one shot at the base of my right index finger due to pain and swelling of the joint 3 months after trauma. First needle was to aspirate the area to see if fluid or gout crystals would be present- nothing was present. Second injection was cortisone, I was ok for 8 hours then I got in bed and severe pain started. I took 550 mg naproxen - didn't really help and I suffered all night. Now 15 hours after injection pain is still severe, the joint hurts much more than before the injection. Can't really use my right hand now for anything till the pain goes away.

Comment from: Kynaal, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 16

I have just had my 5th lot of cortisone in my right shoulder in a year, last time I had hydrodilatation which was the most painful thing ever. I suffered insomnia really bad and spent 2 days looking like a ghost, I was so pale, then 3 days looking like a lobster; I was bright red and boiling. I took antihistamine which helped. I couldn't use my arm for around a week, it was terrible. I had another round of cortisone yesterday and am having all the same symptoms, but know how to deal with now. I found the whole experience extremely painful but hopefully it will help keep my shoulder more mobile as I prepare for shoulder reconstruction and biceps tenotomy.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a Cortisone Injection.
Cortisone Injection - Knee And Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee