Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Side Effects

What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?

Comment from: casamarina, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I got my first cortisone injection on Wednesday and on Thursday it started hurting even more than it should. The injection was for my shoulder. Yesterday it was a bit sore and today there were bruises and a blister on the spot where I had the injection. I went back to the doctor who had no idea. I then went to Accident and Emergency who told me that injection was given incorrectly and have given me penicillin to take. I am still in pain.

Comment from: Lynne P, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I have rheumatoid arthritis and had a cortisone injection in my left knee. My sugar reading was high this morning, I woke up about 4 times to go to the bathroom and I have a severe headache. But, with all of that, I do not have pain in my knee. I would do it again.

Comment from: Lea, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I had my first cortisone shots yesterday in left side of neck and left shoulder capsule. I found the injections painful but not as painful as the pain and muscle spasms I have. I did not sleep well last night. Not unusual for me as I have insomnia. My worry today is my blood pressure which is too high at 197 over 105. I had headache this morning and nausea.

Comment from: Kel, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I had my first cortisone injection for pain associated with hip dysplasia. The shot itself was very painful! By the end of the day I have terrible hot flashes and sweating. My cheeks are hot and red. My stomach is off, slightly nauseous, and I have a rotten headache. And at this point, my hip doesn't feel any better than it did prior to the shot.

Comment from: mijdaeh, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 01

I received a cortisone shot in my knee yesterday. I noticed an increase in heart rate and was unable to sleep last night. However, the knee is much improved today.

Comment from: Jah, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

I had right basal joint replacement (thumb). They gave a shot during surgery in the incision for pain. The next day my face was hot and flushed for about 24 hours, no fever though. At the follow up visit 6 weeks later I had a cortisone shot in my left hand basal joint to hold it over until I can have surgery on it and the evening/next day I had a very flushed and hot face again. The shot was the only thing that was the same.

Comment from: PatW, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I am not sure if this is a side effect or not, but the last 2 times I have gotten cortisone injections I have suffered from awful headaches. I have had this one since right after the procedure at 10 am yesterday. It has now been over 24 hours. I have taken my pain pill, and tried Tylenol. I had to hold my head all through the night.

Comment from: San, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I was diagnosed with a herniated disk on L 5. I had two cortisone injections. It helped the immediate severe pain but after a month I have severe pain in both hips and left foot. I am unable to walk normally and have constant pain. I wonder if this is avascular necrosis.

Comment from: mj, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

I had a lower back cortisone injection and the very next day my right hip was so painful I could barely put weight on it. It took 3 weeks for the soreness to go away and the back pain it was intended to treat remained the same and is now worse.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.