Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Side Effects

What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?

Comment from: weasel, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 19

I had been suffering from debilitating rashes on chest and back, as well as others spots. Pimply things behind my ears and on the back of my head, so super itchy I couldn't sleep. I saw my primary doctor and we tried a couple different things. Nothing worked. I was sure I had dermatomyositis, because all my symptoms matched what I was able to find out. Long story short, I was referred to dermatologist, who said I was wrong, all I had was dermatitis that had taken over my body due to dry skin and scratching. He injected my arm with a cortisone shot. Since then I have been really kind of sick. Cramping in bowel, urinal pain, needing to urinate constantly (when nothing was there to really expel), heart racing, feeling flu-ish (temperature was 99.7), lightheaded, and spaced out. I get chills, and need to be under blanket. I'm hoping this will subside soon (shot was 6 days ago), but if this is what I get for a cortisone injection, I may just say no next time.

Comment from: jean, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

Western medicine does not recognize a yeast overgrowth. I mean when it gets in the blood it is much more serious than a vaginal infection. After my 1st cortisone shot, I felt sick for about 10 days. The steroids affect the adrenal glands, make one's blood sugar go up/down. I have a life-long problem with Candida or yeast. I have had to be on Diflucan (systemic antifungal) for 3 months. No sugar, no simple carbohydrates, etc. I itched all over. My current woman doctor has been supportive, but you may not find a doctor who even believes candidiasis exists. Every drug has some side effect unfortunately. Do some research and good luck!

Comment from: casamarina, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I got my first cortisone injection on Wednesday and on Thursday it started hurting even more than it should. The injection was for my shoulder. Yesterday it was a bit sore and today there were bruises and a blister on the spot where I had the injection. I went back to the doctor who had no idea. I then went to Accident and Emergency who told me that injection was given incorrectly and have given me penicillin to take. I am still in pain.

Comment from: Lynne P, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I have rheumatoid arthritis and had a cortisone injection in my left knee. My sugar reading was high this morning, I woke up about 4 times to go to the bathroom and I have a severe headache. But, with all of that, I do not have pain in my knee. I would do it again.

Comment from: Lea, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I had my first cortisone shots yesterday in left side of neck and left shoulder capsule. I found the injections painful but not as painful as the pain and muscle spasms I have. I did not sleep well last night. Not unusual for me as I have insomnia. My worry today is my blood pressure which is too high at 197 over 105. I had headache this morning and nausea.

Comment from: Kel, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I had my first cortisone injection for pain associated with hip dysplasia. The shot itself was very painful! By the end of the day I have terrible hot flashes and sweating. My cheeks are hot and red. My stomach is off, slightly nauseous, and I have a rotten headache. And at this point, my hip doesn't feel any better than it did prior to the shot.

Comment from: mijdaeh, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 01

I received a cortisone shot in my knee yesterday. I noticed an increase in heart rate and was unable to sleep last night. However, the knee is much improved today.

Comment from: Jah, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

I had right basal joint replacement (thumb). They gave a shot during surgery in the incision for pain. The next day my face was hot and flushed for about 24 hours, no fever though. At the follow up visit 6 weeks later I had a cortisone shot in my left hand basal joint to hold it over until I can have surgery on it and the evening/next day I had a very flushed and hot face again. The shot was the only thing that was the same.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.