Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Side Effects

What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?

Comment from: Amanda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

I had a cortisone shot in left knee on Friday, September 16, 2016. By Monday morning, September 19, 2016, I was vomiting and had a severe, severe migraine like I have never had in my entire life. I missed work for 2 days, had to see 2 doctors, and lost pay from work since we do not have sick days. The first doctor on Monday almost called 911 due to my condition. I lost a lot of work and money. I also lost a sense of safety. I don't know how long this poison will stay in my system or if I have long term problems that I will have to deal with later. By the way, my knee was already hurting, less than a week later. So not worth the torture I had to endure or lost hours from work.

Comment from: Torino, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 14

I had a cortisone shot to my right knee about a week and a half ago. The pain was significantly relieved almost immediately but I noticed a couple of days after the injection that both my blood pressure and glucose levels went up sky high and have continued to stay up since then.

Comment from: San, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

I had a cortisone injection into my facet joint in my spine about 16 hours ago and I have no pain but insomnia, hot flushes, sneezing, my body pulsating like mad and heart racing. I'm remaining positive and I am sure it will be worth it all.

Comment from: marylynn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

I was given a cortisone injection in my hand yesterday after being diagnosed with a trigger finger on my middle finger of my left hand. The side effects have been much worse than the pain in my hand! I have been diabetic for 44 years and my blood sugars shot up, and I experienced nausea, lethargy, dizziness, sleeplessness, mood swings and a very rapid and hard heartbeat. I could not function today and wanted to cry all day from the emotional shift. No more cortisone for me!

Comment from: Akutchi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

I had my first cortisone injection 2 days ago in my right knee. This morning I woke up to a red and warm left arm that went across my back and chest to my right arm. My left shoulder aches a bit and my fingers were tingly. I took a Benadryl and it is helping. The doctor says the milky substance that is part of the shot may be causing it.

Comment from: AmyLouWho, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 27

I had my first cortisone injection in my right shoulder yesterday. The pain relief was relatively fast! However, I woke up at 2 am violently vomiting, with no flu symptoms, no temperature or body aches. I emptied my stomach and was fine, was able to go back to sleep. I have a headache and a sour stomach today.

Comment from: Ginger, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I had cortisone injections in both knees this morning at 8:30 EST 7/23/2016, and developed a severe headache which I still have at 12:20 AM 7/24/2016. I have taken ibuprofen, Tylenol, Advil, and nothing is working.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.