Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Side effects

What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?

Comment from: leejanne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I had cortisone injection in my lower spine due to osteoarthritis. In 2011 now 3 years later I am still suffering with chronic pain; the injection hit my nerve as I had shooting pain down my left leg at the time of having the injection. Now I can't walk around for longer than 15 minutes; I lost my job due to not being able to do what was required of me to do. I need help to do my house work as I can't lift or bend. I need to sit to peel my vegetables because I can't stand for too long. I am at my wit's end, I feel useless because I can't do the things I used to do because of this injection; feeling depressed because of this.

Comment from: Dyna, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I have recently had a cortisone injected in my wrist for the treatment of long-term carpal tunnel syndrome. From the moment my doctor inserted the needle, I felt the nerve pain that is still much stronger than before the shot. It has been about 26 hours of no relief but the doctor promised it would help within 24 hours. I had this injection as it took me over 2 years of various treatments and exercises to calm that nerve down to a tolerable state. I am hoping it is just a side effect but seems like I"ve ended up with more damage than expected.

Comment from: Punky, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I am an 80 year old female and have been receiving cortisone injections in my lower back every two and half months for 2 to 3 years. After the injections the next day, the cheeks of my face are blood red and burn, even hot to the touch. Now, I have developed rosacea and am wondering, can rosacea be a result of cortisone/steroid injections. Since cortisone causes a thinning of the skin, blood vessels are probably affected.

Comment from: Chikklet, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I extensively researched the possible side effects before deciding to try a shot for my extremely painful frozen shoulder. My doctor pretty much told me it was the shot or suck it up (I refused painkillers so I was self-medicating). I thought the shot had a really high chance of helping even if I had to suffer the effects so tried one - no pain from it but no relief either. It was like nothing. I went to the clinic doctor for advice and he convinced me to do it again and let me tell you it was a huge mistake! Never ever would I do it again! This second shot had me basically screaming, and I almost fainted in the office. I broke into a cold sweat and had to lie down. When I left I felt like the entire left side of my body was being crushed in a vice; my chest and back pain was so intense I went home to bed. Next day I had "sunburn" on my left body, unquenchable thirst, and a huge swollen arm still. Third day I had more of the same with nausea, vertigo, lots of intense pain and now I'm starting to get scared. I knew about the flare but totally unprepared for the excruciating level of pain that followed. I went to the clinic to get checked out, was sent to the emergency room for assessment and lectured by the doctor about never doing it again. It's been a week and the pain is still much worse than before the shot. At least that doctor gave me some decent painkillers. I am in agony and this frozen shoulder is so ruining my life! I totally regret the shot and the side effects were really scary especially since the leaflet says they can be temporary or permanent! I won't take that gamble again.

Comment from: Marlee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I received a cortisone injection in my wrist for temporary relief of carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS). Within 36 hours I had facial flushing and headaches. Day 4 I'm still having both of these side effects. Today is day 5 and I woke up with a headache. My wrist pain and numbness has improved significantly but I am not sure if it was worth the side effects.

Comment from: garry, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 07

I have had 4 shots in my back L4 - L5 in the last 3 months. I had no problems at all with the first 3. It's now 7 days since the last one. I have had no relief, in fact the pain has increased. I am suffering now with my breathing, my heart is beating 10 to the dozen, and I am having hot flushes and just keep feeling like I am going to pass out! I have decided I will never have another injection again.

Comment from: pat, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I have had cortisone injections for years and now the last two times (within a year) I had a very unpleasant side effect of a bad headache within 12 hours of the shot and cortisone flush of my face/neck/upper chest. My lips felt tingly so I took some Benadryl. My doctor now says I should never have another.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a Cortisone Injection.
Cortisone Injection - Knee And Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee