Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Side Effects

What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?

Comment from: Jonerz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

After receiving cortisone injections in my wrist/hand to treat de Quervain's tenosynovitis I noticed several months later I began developing small dark purplish bruises on that same wrist/hand without any significant bumping around the area. I had the injections almost 7 months ago and continue to get these bruises. I don't get these splotches anywhere else on my body so I assume they are directly related to the injections.

Comment from: frank, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 07

Every time I get cortisone injection in my knee I get hiccups the next day, I wonder if it ever happens to others.

Comment from: Teresa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

I got a cortisone injection two days ago in my knee. Yesterday, my cheeks became hot and bright red, hot 101 degree hot. I feel tired, but am sleeping horrible. This is my first reaction like this. Hope it gets better soon.

Comment from: YvonneBG, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I received a cortisone Injection in my wrist in January 2016. Ever since the injection I occasionally get large purple/red spots (bruising) in the general area of my injection. I do not hit my wrist or anything, these can be caused by something as simple as my sleeve rubbing against the skin. Currently I have some blotchy redness in the same general area of the injection (over a year later) with some sensitivity.

Comment from: casandra, Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I had a cortisone injection on my knee. My cheeks are red so it is obvious my blood pressure must be high. Also I could not sleep. I have tried to drink a lot of water to see if it leaves my system but two days now and no change.

Comment from: DLH, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I had a cortisone shot in my left knee. Only side effects were a sleepless night and headache. The knee feels better.

Comment from: Betz, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I had cortisone shot in each hip on a Monday afternoon at approximately 2:30 pm. I felt a little extra tired on Tuesday night at around 10 pm but stayed up until midnight anyway because I don't sleep well. I went in to the bathroom to take night time medicines and saw in the mirror the right side of my face was all red, very swollen and hot. My ear was also hot and red. It's now noon on Wednesday and the redness isn't as pronounced bit it is still very warm and I feel yucky.

Comment from: SwedishGal, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

It is 12 hours since cortisone injection to battle my flare of ulcerative colitis. I am sweating profusely and my brain is in overdrive. I feel super focused and alert, almost like a heightened sense of awareness. I don't think I will be able to sleep at all, and this was also the case during my previous treatment with cortisone.

Comment from: hotflashanne, 65-74 (Patient) Published: December 27

I had a caudal cortisone injection five days ago. I was very much hyped up for two days and sweated the entire time. On the fourth day I was just sitting and the worst hot flash ever came over me. I felt like my upper body was on fire. I also had fatigue which was pretty bad the third day. I like to mention that I am way beyond the menopause years so sweating and hot flashes were not from that. I still have some back and leg pain. Not sure if I will have any more cortisone shots. I have had a number of them in the past in knee and shoulders but only got a little flushed and hyped up for a few days. Not understanding this shot reaction at all.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.