Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Side Effects

What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?

Comment from: Suezette, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

As a result of getting the cortisone injections for a surgical scar in the anterior area of my neck, the tendons have weakened giving me a sagging cow's neck appearance.

Comment from: cutie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 22

I had cortisone shot many times on both feet different times but for the big toe due to gout. It always has helped tremendously. Yesterday I had a shot for gout, and had night sweats and flushed cheeks for the very first time. Nothing serious, but the shot helps. Rather than taking all those pills so the attack can subside in the end I take a shot.

Comment from: vegdwk, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 21

I got an injection in my right knee and this is 5 hours later. I have a bad headache. I do have in intolerance to methylprednisolone so I wonder if this is a reaction.

Comment from: Chris, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I had a cortisone injection for very painful bursitis in my upper thigh. It did definitely reduce the pain. But it did affect my sleep, I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't go back to sleep. It also increased my pulse rate.

Comment from: corrine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I had a week of cortisone injections and since having them my face has bloated. I have stopped all tablet forms and not taken any more injections. I wonder how long it will take for this bloating to go down.

Comment from: Ironpen47, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I had a cortisone injection in my arthritic left knee. About 3 hours after the injection I had a headache that lasted about 8 hours. Tylenol did not help. Then I went to bed and was itching and scratching. I got up in the morning and looked in the mirror, I was bright red on my upper arms and lower legs. Seems I had an unusual allergic reaction to the shot. I took Benadryl and after a day it cleared up. I am feeling much better, and my knee is much less sore. So a bit of a price to pay for relief, but right now it is worth it!

Comment from: Lisa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

My life has been terrible ever since I received my cortisone injection in my tailbone. This was given to me 3 years ago and I have been in horrible pain ever since that day. I now have to be under the care of a pain manager as I cannot sit for more than 10 minutes at a time, the only time I get any relief is when I sleep. I am only 51 years of age and every day I hope to just die so I can get out of this misery that I am living in. I don't suggest anyone to get this injection, I now feel as if someone took a bar and hammered it upwards from my tailbone up into my lower back.

Comment from: Techgirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I went to the (emergency room) ER for the first time ever this past Saturday with pain that I thought was a kidney stone. After test, it showed I had a cyst on my right ovary. On Monday, I still had lots of pain and my gynecologist sent me back to the ER for re-evaluation. This time a leaking cyst on my right ovary. White blood count was up and running fever off and on. I was sent home with pain medicines and told it would resolve itself. I have to work and I was in the bed for 4 days. Finally I went back to work where I stood on my feet for 9 hours and when I got home I was miserable plus my fever had shot back up. Can't they surgically remove a cyst! I don't get paid if I don't work!

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.