Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Side Effects

What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?

Comment from: Mary, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 17

My daughter had a cortisone shot in elbow joint. It has been about 3 to 4 hours and she still has no feeling in arm and it seems swollen.

Comment from: Iviviv, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 16

I had a steroid injection in my elbow a month ago. I was pretty sore for 2 or 3 days and then I started to feel that the original aching joint pain was lessening although the cortisone injection site remained a little bit tender. In the past couple of days I have had very painful skin on that elbow. It is really dry and flaking like eczema which I have never previously had. I also have a solid lump under the skin about the size and shape of a small bean where I was injected. I had been hoping to inject my other elbow which has bad joint pain too, but now I am put off the idea. Oh dear, maybe I just have to get used to life with sore joints.

Comment from: liz, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 04

My mom is suffering from an injection she received for what the doctor said was arthritis in her knees and feet. After receiving the cortisone injection on both arms for the pain, she began experiencing severe pains on both arms and they are inflamed and hurt really bad. She can't even sleep at night. She has no idea what to do.

Comment from: jaye, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I have had 3 separate cortisone injections in my knees, six weeks apart. Within 12 hours I would develop a whopper of a headache. My blood pressure would go up to 170/105. I got no relief from ibuprofen which my doctor suggested. I did go to the emergency room and was given IV morphine. That helped a lot. I rarely get headaches so this is definitely associated with the cortisone. I did receive pain relief in my osteoarthritic joints. I was not warned about the headache and when I called to report this, the doctor's physician assistant told me 'we don't deal with headaches, call your primary doctor.' There must be a way to treat this issue prior to the headaches.

Comment from: susie bee, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I broke my right arm 2 years ago and had to have a replacement bone put into my arm, (really rough surgery). However, in order to function while in an immobilization brace on the broken arm, I really relied on my left arm. I soon began to have a lot of pain in my left shoulder, and was told it was from arthritis. The left shoulder pain became worse and worse, so my doctor suggested cortisone injection. Years before I had had a cortisone injection in my right knee for arthritis pain, that injection had no effect at all. So I was dubious about another cortisone shot being helpful. The orthopedic doctor told me there was a good chance the first injection had been give incorrectly. And that he would give the injection in the correct place. I had the injection and received 6 glorious months of relief with no side effects. Two days ago I had my 3rd injection, and am now having some side effects, flushed hot face and runny nose almost like an allergic reaction. I was reassured these side effects were not dangerous and would subside very soon. I have faith that they will. I would like to tell everyone who is considering cortisone injections for arthritis, have the injection given by an orthopedic doctor, they are better trained to administer the shot for best results.

Comment from: Irishconnection, 55-64 (Patient) Published: November 13

I had my cortisone injection 2 days ago for shoulder pain. My arm appears frozen and the pain is unreal. I can't lift up my arm, and no sleep from pain.

Comment from: KayB, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I had a cortisone injection in my right hip 3 days ago. The first day the pain got worse and as the day wore on and I couldn't sleep at all. Walking was also very painful. The 2nd day the pain lessened but I took Norco in order to sleep that night. Yesterday pain was much better, walking fine. I'm hoping the original pain from the bursitis is gone now. Only time will tell.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.