Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Side effects

What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

1 year following knee repair surgery I was having difficulty with the pain in the knee. Having found no apparent reason for the pain my surgeon suggested the need to inject the knee with cortisone. He explained that he was giving me a very strong dosage in hopes of finally clearing up any inflammation. I immediately began to have hot flushes and my upper body turned a bright red as though I was sunburned. My hands and feet also were very red. The hot flushes were different than any before and my stomach became very irritated from what seemed to be anxiety. I became very trembley and could not sleep. For three nights I did not sleep even though I tried taking Dramamine, Benadryl, all the PM meds. The cortisone seemed to overpower the sleeping aids. For the past two nights I have taken ambien and it is the only relief I have had. My whole system seems to be out of whack and I am very weak. Today the redness is better but I don't know what the nighttime will bring - certainly cannot continue with the ambien. The pain is much better but not worth the other problems.

Comment from: Sharon, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I had a cortisone injection on Tuesday, it"s Saturday and I"m in so much pain. My knee is not puffing up or swollen.

Comment from: Judy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

Is anybody familiar with patches for tennis elbow that I do believe are cortisone/steroid? I have had 3-4 patches treatments in a month and I have gained 15 pounds.

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 13

Following a cortisone shot for tendinitis in my arm, it is extremely painful.

Comment from: Debrawalden, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

With the cortisone injections I experience excessive sweating and I am sick to my stomach and run fevers.

Comment from: fig, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 16

I had 3 injections in my left hand. I got up after going to sleep to go to bath room and my urine had a burning sensation.

Comment from: Tazzie 88, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I had a cortisone shot today and I feel overly hot and the knee still hurts. I am not sure if it is from the shot.

Comment from: kandalita, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I experienced flushing of the face and neck and very hot feeling, like a sunburn.

Comment from: anne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I had facial flushing and high temperature.

Comment from: Belinda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

After getting the injection I have noticed facial redness, and I feel hot.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a Cortisone Injection.
Cortisone Injection - Knee And Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee