Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Side Effects

What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?

Comment from: kathy miller, Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I have had 2 cortisone shots in my hand this year, 1 in my hip joint, 2 in my spine, and 2 facet blocks in my spine. I have been having severe hot flashes every day for months. My doctors said that I am not in menopause which I thought that all the sweating was from. The one shot in my groin to my hip joint did not work.

Comment from: Hen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I had the cortisone injection yesterday for trochanter bursitis. I didn't really feel anything; wasn't told to not walk my dog. I had sore back, and sore thigh muscles. Later that evening, I woke up with upset stomach and vomited. I had overall body itching for approximately an hour. My stomach is still upset and I am nauseous. Calling the clinic, I was told this wasn't a normal reaction to cortisone and to see my family physician. Really! I'll inform the physician when I see him.

Comment from: Dabrock, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 26

I got a cortisone injection in my right wrist for carpal tunnel syndrome. When the doctor gave the injection I got shooting pains and a burning feeling up my middle finger, I suppose because he was on the tendon for that finger, but I felt it was normal since I've never had the procedure before. It has now been more than a week and every time I use my right hand I get shooting pain up my middle finger like electrical shocks or something. I'm wondering if it is possible he damaged something or if this is normal. He's a great doctor so I'd hate to think he did something wrong.

Comment from: JS65, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

On Monday of this week I had a steroid injection in my L3 disc for a bulging disc. I have had several injections before with no side effects. This time 10 minutes after injection I felt really weak, short of breath and had heart palpitations. This injection really hurt and I had numbness in my leg. I finally called doctor's office and was told this doesn't happen very often, but it can happen and should go away in a few days. Now it's Friday and I don't feel any better. Now I don't know if I ever want another cortisone injection.

Comment from: goldy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

I had my 4 injections of cortisone over a 2 year period for arthritic hip. Last one was 8 months ago. Usually I get red flush for a day. I left the doctor's office, walked 2 blocks to the bus stop and when waiting for the bus, fell suddenly and was very weak. I called the doctor's office and was told to get water and rest. (On the street!) I felt a little better and got up, fell again, I had total weakness in leg, but no pain at all. I fell a 3rd time as I was getting to the cab. Weak, and scared, I reached the nurse again (doctor never called back) and was told to put ice on and for 20 minutes. I am feeling somewhat better but still very scared. No information from doctor or nurse. I'm never going to this doctor again or having cortisone again.

Comment from: VARabbit, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

This is my fourth round of cortisone/lidocaine shot in shoulder. This one hurt unlike any other time, I involuntarily yelped in pain at one point. Within 5 seconds of shot my two front teeth and tongue went numb/fuzzy. I had double vision and felt unstable. I started to feel nauseous. I was really cold, shivering. My pulse was very high and my heart rate was very low. The staff were worried for potential seizure. I felt better after about an hour.

Comment from: Liz1388, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I just had two local cortisone shots in buttocks yesterday afternoon. It is 4:30 am and I still can't sleep, possibly some increased restlessness. Also I have some intermittent burning in feet where I have arthritic bunions. Flares in my feet and hips are why I got the shots so I can go on vacation. Getting ready for that might account for restlessness. As far as I've noticed, I have no other symptoms as described by others. I've only had one previous local cortisone shot about one year ago.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.