Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Side Effects

What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?

Comment from: VARabbit, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

This is my fourth round of cortisone/lidocaine shot in shoulder. This one hurt unlike any other time, I involuntarily yelped in pain at one point. Within 5 seconds of shot my two front teeth and tongue went numb/fuzzy. I had double vision and felt unstable. I started to feel nauseous. I was really cold, shivering. My pulse was very high and my heart rate was very low. The staff were worried for potential seizure. I felt better after about an hour.

Comment from: Liz1388, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I just had two local cortisone shots in buttocks yesterday afternoon. It is 4:30 am and I still can't sleep, possibly some increased restlessness. Also I have some intermittent burning in feet where I have arthritic bunions. Flares in my feet and hips are why I got the shots so I can go on vacation. Getting ready for that might account for restlessness. As far as I've noticed, I have no other symptoms as described by others. I've only had one previous local cortisone shot about one year ago.

Comment from: Debraw706, Female (Patient) Published: August 18

I had cortisone injections in my knees 3 days ago. My sugar was 250 to 300 for 3 days after that and I still have very red skin on the fourth day. I also had bad headache until today. But knees are better.

Comment from: Arthritis Sufferer, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I've been getting cortisone injections in both shoulders every three months for a couple of years. On day one, I've frequently had sleeplessness and was warned about it. This time, on day two I have experienced the face flushing which I haven't noticed before. I took my temperature and didn't have one. Blood pressure is normal and I'm already starting to feel positive effects from the injections. Guess I'm not going to be concerned about a bit of red cheeks.

Comment from: Jill, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I had 4 shots of cortisone in my lower back and I also had a very red hot face and neck. My blood pressure was up to 211/115 and my face and tongue started to go numb. I went to the emergency room (ER) and they had to give me medications to reduce my blood pressure. I had the red face and the flushed feeling for 3 days but on previous injections I had it for 5 days but didn't think to check my blood pressure. Check your BP if you turn red!

Comment from: MumTN6, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I have mild rosacea but my face turned beet red morning after steroid shot in hip. I also had hot flashes last night. I called the doctor and she said to try Benadryl or Zantac! I took Equate brand Zantac equivalent. In an hour, my red hot face was gone!

Comment from: KB, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I had a cortisone shot in my low back and neck area Thursday at 9:30 am. Immediate response was feeling like I was going to faint and nauseated. I laid down for a few minutes and then I was fine. Then Friday afternoon at 6:00 I noticed both my wrists were starting to hurt. At 7:00 pm I started out for a walk and only got three to five minutes down the road and started having excruciating pain, I mean excruciating. I want to die, the pain in my wrist and hands are as if someone had smashed both hands and wrists. I've become weak and feel like someone was squeezing my chest and abdomen. My husband had to help me walk back very slowly. I have no lower pain at all. When I got home I took some Aleve for the pain put my arms over my head but that didn't last long. At 7:30 I got nauseated and threw up. I took some Pepto-Bismol and have been laying on my back with my knees up and an ice pack on my neck. Wrist and hand pain by 11:00 just feels like I typed too long today. I have headache and stomach is still a little nauseated.

Comment from: Kal8, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I had my very first cortisone shot yesterday in my left knee for osteoarthritis. The shot was given so expertly that I never felt it. But a couple hours later I began having a dull headache that only worsened. It got worse when I went to bed and I also experienced night sweats. I hardly slept all night. On the plus side, my pain is all but gone. Hope it lasts for a while!

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.