Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Side effects

What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?

Comment from: pattyk, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

It is incredible to find only a few sites from folks who are having side-effects from cortisone injections. The effects are real...dry mouth, anxiety, fast heart-rate, night sweats, and others. The shots do work well for joint pain, I just wish doctors and medical sites were more up-front about the effects of the drug.

Comment from: Sharon, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

Four years ago I had chemotherapy and radiology for breast cancer. It did me in physically to the point that I had to retire. Recently I was diagnosed with RA. The doctor gave me a steroid shot and I have never felt better. I'm back to feeling the way I was before chemo. I have energy, and I'm not dragging around like I have been for the past four years. Yay!

Comment from: Texas Grandma, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I had a corticosteroid infection in my left knee last year. It did not help much but I had night sweats for 3 months before they finally stopped. I would need to get up and change my summer nightgown several times a night. Since it was November to January it was very cold.

Comment from: MIMI, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 20

After the injection I got insonmia, for 2 nights, some pain , the third day my blood pressure went up, 170/80 ,kept going up I ended up in emergency room, by that time my BP was 196/88 I thought I was having an stroke The doctor never warned me.

Comment from: robert, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 12

I had the first injestion in my left shoulder with no relief and no side effects. The second shot was a different experience, I turned beat red within ten minutes and develoved hives from head to toe andd my hands and feet were swollen. The doctor scrambled to find Benadryl, but didn't have an epipen on site. I was given Predisone and the itchy and hives went away in a couple of hours and the swelling went away after two days. Never again.

Comment from: vonn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I had a cortisone injection for a shoulder problem. I ended up with a huge red rash all over the top half of my body and got real shaky. I am diabetic and then found it hard to breathe. I am also asthmatic and could not get to a doctor, so I used antihistamines. This seemed to help, because after a day it went away. I felt good, and then – bang – it was back again. I will never have another one; I will wear the pain!

Comment from: rjhippain, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

I had my first cortisone injection for hip pain yesterday. The injection did not hurt, but within 5-7 hours I had a headache, numbness of my upper extremities, severe joint pain in my hands and shoulders, and nausea and jaw pain. The doctor did not mention any side effects, but it has been 24 hours and it is not subsiding.

Comment from: Overthehill, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

I was really afraid of a cortisone shot in my knee, but it was hurting so badly I couldn't imagine feeling any worse, so I took it in both knees. I went out walking like new. No side effects. Now, almost a year later I am taking another one. I hope this one will also be uneventful.

Comment from: crazysteroid, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

It's been two weeks after the shot and I am still experiencing night sweats, muscle weakness, fatigue, giddiness, cramping in stomach, mild depression, irritability, paranoia, frequent urination and general weakness. I had a terrible, gassy stomach followed by diarrhea. I've been so miserable and don't feel like myself at all. I am convinced it is the cortisone shot. Before this, I was myself with a torn ligament in my toe. I should have just left it that way.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a Cortisone Injection.
Cortisone Injection - Knee And Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee