Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Side Effects

What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?

Comment from: ssk1256, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 03

I had a cortisone injection in my elbow for bursitis. It was swollen and fluid filled when it was injected, and now the elbow is purple and painful. Doctors say it should have been drained first and that now the skin is very thin. It's horrible and it's still very painful.

Comment from: jake, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 26

I have had three cortisone injections in my right shoulder approximately 4 months apart. I have had no side effects. The injections, all given at 8 am, have provided relief the same day. I am told this is unusual and I am grateful because before the injections I could not lift my right arm above shoulder height without severe pain. Afterwards I have no pain at all.

Comment from: NorthLVMan, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 23

I got an epidural cortisone shot on July 8. By July 13 I was in the emergency room (ER) with a strange condition that they couldn't figure out. I had a fungal infection from my mouth to my rectum. I had a sore throat and it affected my voice. I was weak with muscle pain and very sore stomach. I was put on fluconazole and it cleared up the fungus but nothing else. I have been in the ER 3 times and they can't figure out what is making me sick. It almost destroyed my immune system.

Comment from: kathy miller, Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I have had 2 cortisone shots in my hand this year, 1 in my hip joint, 2 in my spine, and 2 facet blocks in my spine. I have been having severe hot flashes every day for months. My doctors said that I am not in menopause which I thought that all the sweating was from. The one shot in my groin to my hip joint did not work.

Comment from: Hen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I had the cortisone injection yesterday for trochanter bursitis. I didn't really feel anything; wasn't told to not walk my dog. I had sore back, and sore thigh muscles. Later that evening, I woke up with upset stomach and vomited. I had overall body itching for approximately an hour. My stomach is still upset and I am nauseous. Calling the clinic, I was told this wasn't a normal reaction to cortisone and to see my family physician. Really! I'll inform the physician when I see him.

Comment from: Dabrock, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 26

I got a cortisone injection in my right wrist for carpal tunnel syndrome. When the doctor gave the injection I got shooting pains and a burning feeling up my middle finger, I suppose because he was on the tendon for that finger, but I felt it was normal since I've never had the procedure before. It has now been more than a week and every time I use my right hand I get shooting pain up my middle finger like electrical shocks or something. I'm wondering if it is possible he damaged something or if this is normal. He's a great doctor so I'd hate to think he did something wrong.

Comment from: JS65, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

On Monday of this week I had a steroid injection in my L3 disc for a bulging disc. I have had several injections before with no side effects. This time 10 minutes after injection I felt really weak, short of breath and had heart palpitations. This injection really hurt and I had numbness in my leg. I finally called doctor's office and was told this doesn't happen very often, but it can happen and should go away in a few days. Now it's Friday and I don't feel any better. Now I don't know if I ever want another cortisone injection.

Comment from: goldy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

I had my 4 injections of cortisone over a 2 year period for arthritic hip. Last one was 8 months ago. Usually I get red flush for a day. I left the doctor's office, walked 2 blocks to the bus stop and when waiting for the bus, fell suddenly and was very weak. I called the doctor's office and was told to get water and rest. (On the street!) I felt a little better and got up, fell again, I had total weakness in leg, but no pain at all. I fell a 3rd time as I was getting to the cab. Weak, and scared, I reached the nurse again (doctor never called back) and was told to put ice on and for 20 minutes. I am feeling somewhat better but still very scared. No information from doctor or nurse. I'm never going to this doctor again or having cortisone again.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.