Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Side Effects

What side effects (if any) did you experience with your cortisone injection?

Comment from: Reg, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 21

I had 80 ml of cortisone in my left hip on September 19 2014. Twenty four hours later I started feeling very sick and had nausea. I ended up at the hospital emergency room. The nausea lasted almost a month. The cortisone helped my hip pain for only 3 weeks and now the pain has returned with more intensity.

Comment from: grandmab74, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I have had one cortisone injection in my left shoulder, left hip, and right hip with a few years in between with no side effects. Lately I had another shot in my right hip, nothing the first day, but then the headache started and for two nights the insomnia left me with about 3 hours sleep a night. Pain disappeared but then the cough came and two days of dry cough was horrible. Finally after four days, feeling a lot better, but don't know if I will ever go through it again.

Comment from: Bonnie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I have carpal tunnel in both wrists. After proper diagnosis I opted for cortisone shots so I could plan out my busy schedule and work the surgery around my career of showing dogs and working in an animal hospital. It was a huge success but lasted 4 months where upon I did my first wrist surgery. At that time I got another shot for the opposite hand. Now 4 months later I am begging for another shot as I plan the 2nd surgery. I couldn't bear the painful sleepless nights anymore and am relieved after my injection today. Surgery to follow in less than 4 months. Thumbs up for properly administered cortisone.

Comment from: DMS - New York, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 10

I had cortisone shots in both knees on a Tuesday afternoon. While my knee pain improved significantly that day, I experienced tremendous facial and neck/chest flushing on Wednesday morning. It lasted almost 24 hours. I can only assume that it was the cortisone.

Comment from: K, 45-54 (Patient) Published: October 06

I had a cortisone injection in my shoulder and exactly 48 hours later I am in the emergency room (ER) with very high heart rate and blood pressure. Cardiologist told me it was a reaction to the injection. I am still on blood pressure medicine trying to get it back down, never had any trouble before this.

Comment from: Pz, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I received a cortisone shot in my knee for terrible joint pain. The shot did not hurt a bit. If your knee injection hurts, I would find another doctor. I have had increased blood sugar and increased pulse. I had immediate relief from the injection. I am also getting synvisc injections in both knees. My right knee is doing well with just synvisc, but left knee needed a little cortisone. Now both are feeling much better. I go for one more shot in each knee in about 2 weeks. The cortisone will elevate blood sugar and pulse. May give you a headache, but the relief I received from the cortisone was well worth the inconvenience.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 03

I had a cortisone injection for an inflamed tendon of my thumb and wrist. The pain is gone! I do have a hot, red flush on my face and chest. I am diabetic and did have a high blood sugar reading before bed and again this morning. This was expected.

Comment from: ssk1256, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 03

I had a cortisone injection in my elbow for bursitis. It was swollen and fluid filled when it was injected, and now the elbow is purple and painful. Doctors say it should have been drained first and that now the skin is very thin. It's horrible and it's still very painful.

Cortisone Injection - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.
Cortisone Injection - Knee and Hip Question: Share your experience with cortisone injections in your hip or knee.